www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 03-10-17, 17:09   #11701
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

English sounds like German-lite to me. It's more choppy and harsh than the romance languages, but not quite as shouty and passionate as German.

Dutch people always sound like they're coughing up phlegm.

There's this French-speaking woman at work who is from Ivory Coast originally. I love her accent and how she speaks, it's amazing. If she doesn't hear you she'll say "par-donn?!" and she also says "ooh la la!" out loud when shocked haha.
Old 03-10-17, 18:15   #11702
Mickybyrne20
Professor

What's really interesting is when French people use English words as part of their vocab. I remember being in an Xbox party with Frenchies playing Gears of War and they always used to shout "HEAD SHOT"! I was like wth, use your own language. That's cheeky They also use words like "awesome, cool" and essentially English swear words, that I shall not mention hehe

Last edited by Rai; 04-10-17 at 00:52. Reason: Censor Circumvention
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 18:25   #11703
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
What's really interesting is when French people use English words as part of their vocab. I remember being in an Xbox party with Frenchies playing Gears of War and they always used to shout "HEAD SHOT"! I was like wth, use your own language. That's cheeky They also use words like "awesome, cool" and essentially English swear words, that I shall not mention hehe
Well, English did steal loads of words from French so I don't see any problem the other way around.

Last edited by Rai; 04-10-17 at 00:57. Reason: CC removed from quote
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 18:33   #11704
Kivlov
Historian

Quote:
"HEAD SHOT"!
I think this phrase became international. In Russia shooter players also always use it. Because Russian translated variant sounds too long.
Old 03-10-17, 18:51   #11705
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Are you Polish? Because it does kinda sounds like sh sh sh, if I'm honest.
I am. I heard a lot of people saying it's like that. I mean early slavs were described as sitting in bushes and lakes so maybe our language imitates it mao #soromantic #nottrueatall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Well, English did steal loads of words from French so I don't see any problem the other way around.
Indeed. Modern English doesn't have much in common with the old one (anglo-saxon apparently?). And it is quite normal for other languages to use English words, especially if it's taught as second language.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 19:06   #11706
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I am. I heard a lot of people saying it's like that. I mean early slavs were described as sitting in bushes and lakes so maybe our language imitates it mao #soromantic #nottrueatall.
I have Polish next door neighbors. They're quite nice, actually. Not that I speak to them often, they have a hard time with English, I think. It sounds quite neutral, if I'm honest. Not very bold, not too outlandish. Plus, I listen to an ASMR channel on YouTube with SoftAnaPL.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 19:26   #11707
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Where two cultures mix, there's always an exchange of words from the languages (can see that a lot between Southwestern USA and Mexican culture).

When it happens to a large degree though, it's to do with what the dominant language is at any time. There was a time where France was a lot more powerful than England, and they colonised the country. This explains the abundance of Latin and French words in English which are lacking in other Germanic languages

Today though, English is the most dominant language in the world, and on a global scale too, so most other languages are becoming English-ified, if that's a word.
Old 03-10-17, 20:09   #11708
TheShadowOfMe
Archaeologist

I'd like to see a scene where Lara is actually laughing. She's too serious (throughout the whole franchise).
Old 03-10-17, 20:09   #11709
Revenge
Archaeologist

Quote:

Starts with "P" ends in "Y" and starts with "F" ends in "CK"
Kind of because in France English is mostly considered as cool, a bit like in the USA (correct me if I'm wrong) many people find French pretty and like saying French words

@TheShadowOfMe : there's this one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZMPPR4-jA

Last edited by Revenge; 03-10-17 at 20:10.
Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 20:48   #11710
TheShadowOfMe
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
@TheShadowOfMe : there's this one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQZMPPR4-jA
Oh yeah, that one. I know about it, but I suppose I didn't say the way I wanted to say (?) if that makes sense? Hmm, like, a cutscene in game as a flashback or during the game we see her laughing and not just "heh".