www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 11-05-19, 12:21   #991
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
That's my main point though; CD has always been rife with inconsistency and poor progression no matter what era you are talking about. Others are coming in trying to rationalise the inconsistencies and I don't think you can. If people want to take Rise Richard as the version of the character they want him to be than that is ok cause that's how he has been portrayed. But taking into account the reboot and the comics, which based on your points above we have to do, then he is inconsistently represented and you cannot explain that away other than poor writing and planning and I don't understand why people get so defensive of that. Like you said, it's rife. You can like a form of the character whilst still admitting there are inconsistencies. Pointing out the inconsistencies is not dragging or insulting Richard or CD... they're just there, undeniably.
No argument there. I agree with this.
Old 11-05-19, 12:26   #992
Linoshi Croft
Legend

jajay119 has pretty much articulated my point much better than I could and I completely agree. Plus, the fact that Richard is portrayed differently between games and then portrayed yet again differently in the comics is a pretty big deal and definitely not a minor issue.
Old 11-05-19, 12:27   #993
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Oh, I definitely agree Crystal struggle with ongoing narratives and thereís inconsistencies between games. Itís just the Richard thing Iíve seen people bring up before that I donít think is bad as itís made out to be.
I can see where you're coming from with this. But, I can also understand what others are saying: Richard's story is tied so intrisically to Lara's progression and Rise's story that I feel for many it becomes something that ties into the broader scope of issues: such as the introduction of Ana, trinity, Amelia and how that contradicts information from the reboot and the comics overall which all impacts how Lara has been portrayed. So, I think it's unavoidable for some to make it a big deal because it's part of the bigger picture they're not happy with. Personally, I'm a little numb to the reboot era. I don't love it and I don't hate it so it allows me to look at it all a little more objectively than I could for the LAU era where I was more passionate.
Old 11-05-19, 12:29   #994
biscuits
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I can see where you're coming from with this. But, I can also understand what others are saying: Richard's story is tied so intrisically to Lara's progression and Rise's story that I feel for many it becomes something that ties into the broader scope of issues: such as the introduction of Ana, trinity, Amelia and how that contradicts information from the reboot and the comics overall which all impacts how Lara has been portrayed. So, I think it's unavoidable for some to make it a big deal because it's part of the bigger picture they're not happy with. Personally, I'm a little numb to the reboot era. I don't love it and I don't hate it so it allows me to look at it all a little more objectively than I could for the LAU era where I was more passionate.
What did you think of LAU?? I love the games but dislike Lara in those
Old 11-05-19, 12:43   #995
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
What did you think of LAU?? I love the games but dislike Lara in those
Well, you have to remember I was a lot younger when LAU came out and so due to the folly of youth I was more irrational anyway. But, I really didn't like them and I didn't make any bones about it. I didn't like the change to Lara's backstory: though now I appreciate how CD cleverly worded it to be a semi reboot in the case booklet or the changes to the gameplay style either.

I didn't like how Lara as a character became softer and more reliant on others. To me, as someone growing up who was bullied Lara represented a really strong character who rejected a life, did her own thing for no reason other than she wanted to and was a strong character which I aspired to be like (Despite being a man, but that's never a barrier for us ). So, to have her motivations and character, what I considered to be, watered down was something I found very hard to swallow. I like Underworld Lara, to me I thought CD quite hit the nail on the head with her characterisation but by the time we got there the trilogy was so fraught with poor characterisation and storytelling it overdshadowed it all. I really feel CD wrote LAU Lara into a corner with making the wole motivation about her parents and they had nowhere to go so a reboot was inevitable.

Also, I'm one of those people who really loved the level of control we had over Lara in her earlier days and I really didn't like the automation and overly reliant visual hints the games promoted in the LAU games. Some have described those three games as TR for beginners and without being rude I can agree with that because I feel like a lot of the challenge in figuring out the environments and navigating them was taken away. That's not to say I want tank controls back but I do think we could have more control over how Lara moves.

To me the era was just very messy and whilst I enjoyed the games I didn't enjoy them as TR games. Going back without the heat of the time I can appreciate them a little more but I do think they've aged a little poorly. Particularly the controls and camera which are very floaty by today's standards.

Last edited by jajay119; 11-05-19 at 12:44.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-19, 15:59   #996
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Are there screenshots of this purely for educational purposes?
This is the only one I could find. He's covered up in all the pages he appears in, but you can tell the artist intended for him to be a looker. Theres another page that shows him off better, but I can't find it unfortunately.

Edit: Nevermind, the link was removed

Last edited by TrustyBow; 11-05-19 at 21:35. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 19:16   #997
mandylane

wasnt rise of tomb raider xbox exclusive and then got a pc port?

https://kotaku.com/people-are-pissed...ive-1620094498

i would say it was a very strange idea
mandylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-19, 20:43   #998
Samz
Professor

So how much evil-ish do you want the next Lara to be if we get a new one?

Outright Grave robber of anything worth money rather than historical value? or just an archeologist who doesn't consider violence to be something avoided?

One that helps lost cities or outright goes behind them to take what they own?
Old 22-05-19, 20:50   #999
TrustyBow
Professor

^^ Good question. I just want to see her thrill seeking, rebelliousness come back. I like the idea that she prioritizes having fun on her adventures over anything else, no matter the repercussions. Imo that would put her in a nice sweetspot where both her narcissism and heroic nature can show. There's nothing wrong with her helping people and saving the world if it leads to more adventures for her.
Old 22-05-19, 21:49   #1000
Hepburn
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
thrill seeking, rebelliousness
These were the exact words I was thinking of.

I can definitely imagine a story where Lara is struggling to fit into the larger, more academic archaeology community. I can see her having philosophical differences with older professors and researchers (kind of like the ones with Whitman in TR2013). They don't approve of her hands-on, reckless approach; she sees their more traditional, measured approach as impractically slow. That tension could lead her to go on some sort of super ambitious/dangerous expedition to prove them wrong.

Whatever the case, making her more thrill-seeking and rebellious are good ways to give her an edge without compromising her morality.
Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote