www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-02-19, 16:11   #531
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_end90 View Post
Plot side, FFXIII was not that bad, problem is that the start of the sequel is so clear in saying "Oh, we thought to build a sequel, but the plot of the first game was closed so... we had to deny the ending"
Also, it is so much worse than FFX.
I mean: I am playing now FFX and it is all so much clearer than in FFXIII that I played before...
In many different moments the plot of FFXIII felt forced, while FFX is so natural...
I actually like Lightning as a character, she's the only cool character to come out of everything since FFX, but the game itself is not my thing. They've changed the series so much since X, and usually for the worse. Some things have been nice, but mostly it's been a mess. XV is such a boring game, and I hate how emo they all look. Just no.

Square Soft did some amazing things with VII, VIII, IX and X with tight releases. Then after X everything changed and every game that came that after become a development nightmare. Maybe it's because they became Sqare Enix and all the talent left, lol.

Last edited by Legends; 21-02-19 at 17:42.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 16:18   #532
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Perhaps FFXVI will put the series back on track, assuming Square doesn't decide to create another convoluted and expensive graphics engine or concurrently make a hundred games set in the same universe but not really.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 17:03   #533
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

I loved Final Fantasy XIII. Never got around to playing the sequels though.

Sqeenix needs to quit making these massive games and pouring so much money in them and developing them forever.

They wasting so much money doing things this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Perhaps FFXVI will put the series back on track, assuming Square doesn't decide to create another convoluted and expensive graphics engine or concurrently make a hundred games set in the same universe but not really.
Pretty much this, it's ridiculous that my PC would only be able to play FFXV at 720p.

Like you have games that are way better looking like Doom 2016 or more graphically demanding titles like Hellblade or Rise of the TR that can be played perfectly at 1080p, but unless you have a powerful graphics card don't even bother getting FFXV.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 21-02-19 at 17:06.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-19, 17:27   #534
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Sega realized that it was worth it, and I absolutely love Sonic Mania and Christian Whitehead for making it happen. It seems like Sega has stopped the Mania train though as there isn't any plans for a Mania 2... which is ridicules after the massive success of Mania.
I almost prefer that. Better for it to be seen as a big moment of critical acclaim within Sonic's long history of mediocre games, rather than milk it until it also becomes mediocre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I also want this. I still cant help but feel like they should really let the reboot be what it wants to be, and have the LC series to cater to fans who loved and want more of the classics. Something like Mania is perfect.
I can't imagine it being that hard. They could go full indie with it, and it wouldn't need to be a massive success for them to make money. it's a low cost, low risk investment that would make everyone happy.
Old 21-02-19, 17:52   #535
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I almost prefer that. Better for it to be seen as a big moment of critical acclaim within Sonic's long history of mediocre games, rather than milk it until it also becomes mediocre.
I see what you mean, but judging by Mania, Christian Whitehead seems to know what works and 2D Sonic has been missing for decades. At least a good game. (Sonic 4 doesn't even count) He's build this engine from the ground up only to release one game? Mania is arguably the best Sonic game since S&K in 1994. It's the endless ****ty 3D games they should stop making. It's definitely room for 2D Sonic as well, and Mania was more of a collection since there was so many old stages. I want a new 2D sonic game will all new stages and music. Apparently that is very problematic for Sega, even though I'm willing to bet that it would be a smashing success if made by Whitehead.

Mania was actually a good Sonic game, yet no sequel. Yet all these ****ty 3D Sonic games keeps coming.
Old 21-02-19, 18:00   #536
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

^Yes, I think Mania should have a sequel, but with HD graphics.
And if I remember right, Whitehead made his engine before Mania, for the Android ports of Sonic 1 and 2.

I think 3D Sonic could have a good game if Sega did with the team behind the fangame Utopia the same they did with Christian.
Old 21-02-19, 18:06   #537
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I see what you mean, but judging by Mania, Christian Whitehead seems to know what works and 2D Sonic has been missing for decades. At least a good game. (Sonic 4 doesn't even count) He's build this engine from the ground up only to release one game? Mania is arguably the best Sonic game since S&K in 1994. It's the endless ****ty 3D games they should stop making. It's definitely room for 2D Sonic as well, and Mania was more of a collection since there was so many old stages. I want a new 2D sonic game will all new stages and music. Apparently that is very problematic for Sega, even though I'm willing to bet that it would be a smashing success if made by Whitehead.

Mania was actually a good Sonic game, yet no sequel. Yet all these ****ty 3D Sonic games keeps coming.
Me reading this thread:

I personally love the 3D games about as much as I do the 2D ones, though Lost World and Forces were definitely lacking. I do think Mania should at least get a sequel or two. We could have a Mania trilogy, that isnt milked, but has lots of quality content.
Old 21-02-19, 18:36   #538
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
^Yes, I think Mania should have a sequel, but with HD graphics.
And if I remember right, Whitehead made his engine before Mania, for the Android ports of Sonic 1 and 2.

I think 3D Sonic could have a good game if Sega did with the team behind the fangame Utopia the same they did with Christian.
I actually love the pixel graphics. I just wish they would add more depth and and more things to do.

Yeah, I agree. Utopia looks like a fun game, but SonicTeam doesn't seem to want to make a proper 3D game. It's like they have no idea of how to accomplish it. Fans do a better job at making any Sonic game at this point. It's like SonicTeam is out of ideas.

Quote:
Me reading this thread:

I do think Mania should at least get a sequel or two. We could have a Mania trilogy, that isn’t milked, but has lots of quality content.
Lol, yeah I agree with that too. It seems so easy to make a sequel to Mania as well. Christian really perfected the Sonic 2D platforming again, so it would be a shame to let all that go to waste.
Old 21-02-19, 18:44   #539
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Me reading this thread:
I personally love the 3D games about as much as I do the 2D ones.
There are good 3D Sonic games. Which of them are good varies a lot depending on who you ask (I personally think Adventure 1 and Generations are the actually good ones). But I doubt anyone would say any of the 3D Sonic games is as good as the 2D ones. They clearly aren't. There's good, and then there's excellence, which none of the 3D games reached.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 21-02-19 at 18:45. Reason: fix word order
Old 21-02-19, 18:51   #540
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
There are good 3D Sonic games. Which of them are good varies a lot depending on who you ask (I personally think Adventure 1 and Generations are the actually good ones). But I doubt anyone would say any of the 3D Sonic games is as good as the 2D ones. They clearly aren't. There's good, and then there's excellence, which none of the 3D games reached.
In my own, honest opinion, the only 3D ones that were actually really good, and at that, were as good as the 2D ones, were Adventure 1 and 2, Generations, and maybe Heroes if we were pushing it. Of course, the 2D games have had a better reputation of being good or "excellent" Sonic games, but I think the 3D games have reached and can continue to reach that level of quality if they try, which they haven't been for a while now.

Anyways, sorry for getting a bit off-topic.