www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 20-10-19, 04:06   #1031
TRExpertgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I just think people need to stop gatekeeping, then fun and healthly discussions will insue.
What are you talking about?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 05:38   #1032
Edming
Hobbyist

This conversation got so much out of hand that just turned out to be actually ironic...

You guys just start fighting and for no reason, and it just reveals how divided as a fan community we are...
Old 20-10-19, 15:31   #1033
Gemma Darkmoon
Student

Can't we accept that both titles sold really well in their respective time periods.

If we do scale it, like a kind of inflation then yes a game would need to sell more to be the equivalent now. Not to mention the fact that the budget and team size Core had back then is nothing compared to the team size and budget of current games. I disagree with both sets of critiques. TR1 was a true landmark title, a launch title for a series (so no preestablished fanbase) and within the top 10 selling games on it's console. To try use the sheer numbers to say reboot was more successful is ignoring relative time periods. To say reboot isn't successful is an incorrect conclusion too because compared to LAU its undeniably a huge jump up in sales. I doubt it's top 10 for it's PS/Xbox consoles but still very impressive relative to other current games.
Gemma Darkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 16:16   #1034
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edming View Post
This conversation got so much out of hand that just turned out to be actually ironic...

You guys just start fighting and for no reason, and it just reveals how divided as a fan community we are...
Pretty impossibly divided I'd say.

2013 and Tomb Raider 1 were made for very different genres.
Old 21-10-19, 07:24   #1035
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Pretty impossibly divided I'd say.

2013 and Tomb Raider 1 were made for very different genres.
As well as Legend
Old 21-10-19, 16:52   #1036
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
As well as Legend
True.
Old 21-10-19, 22:30   #1037
TonyLee
Hobbyist

I am not going to go back and read this entire thread, but I do not know what difference it makes which Tomb Raider outsold the other anyway. My own thoughts are that these message boards were not around in 1996 like they are today (or not as big as now). I used to go to newsgroups in the late 90s, but not boards like this.

There were several years between Underworld and the reboot in 2013. These types of boards were a lot more common by then and wasn't there more anticipation for a sequel in this franchise and talk about it online before the game came out? Was it the same for the first game? I'm sure it was nothing like this. Tomb Raider was already an established series by the time the reboot came out, so wouldn't that and the anticipation from online groups make the reboot do better than the original? Again, it doesn't make any difference to me which one sold the most, and I do not know why that is such a big deal.
TonyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 22:42   #1038
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

The deal isnít about which one sold better, even if the discussion turned that way. The bottom line was why would SE revert their current formula when so far, itís one of the best selling in the franchise. And, reverting to the formula of old, would not heal the community
Old 21-10-19, 22:58   #1039
TonyLee
Hobbyist

I can see that reverting to the original game play would not help the series at all. Of course the reboot would do better since there was an established fan base by that time and the hype of the reboot (which looked much better) had people eagerly waiting to play it, so better sales were to be expected.

edit to change sentence.

Last edited by TonyLee; 21-10-19 at 23:21.
TonyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 23:18   #1040
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLee View Post
I am not going to go back and read this entire thread, but I do not know what difference it makes which Tomb Raider outsold the other anyway. My own thoughts are that these message boards were not around in 1996 like they are today (or not as big as now). I used to go to newsgroups in the late 90s, but not boards like this.

There were several years between Underworld and the reboot in 2013. These types of boards were a lot more common by then and wasn't there more anticipation for a sequel in this franchise and talk about it online before the game came out? Was it the same for the first game? I'm sure it was nothing like this. Tomb Raider was already an established series by the time the reboot came out, so wouldn't that and the anticipation from online groups make the reboot do better than the original? Again, it doesn't make any difference to me which one sold the most, and I do not know why that is such a big deal.
I mean.. I honestly don't think there's an easy way to answer that, if we even could. I think the existence of social media definitely helps video game companies promote games, and Reboots promotional campaign was huge, so that helped as well. Also it's a vastly different economy now and landscape for video games. TR1 was revolutionary in its time for a lot of different reasons. Reboot was extremely successful for a lot of other reasons, it's just really difficult to give a definitive answer to a question like that.