Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 01-09-17, 19:22   #41
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red46 View Post
Will it be possible to fix the small audio bugs in tr2 with this patch? For example, with the gog version of tomb raider 2 (and the patch from the multipatcher) some music plays where it shouldn't. For example in the first level you hear the sound of wind even when you are inside which, you shouldn't be hearing.
Yes, it is fixed. I also work under some useful changes for music and sound effects.
Quote:
Also, any chance that in the future there will be a similar post explaining why the "low ceiling bug" (lara seems to hit against an invisible wall when side jumping after a patch is installed) happens?
Yeah, fixed it too. I'll prepare article about object collisions and about this bug some day. In short, Core Design made this mistake in the release of the game of December 10, 1997. Literally the next day, December 11, 1997, they recompiled the game, slightly correcting the logic of the music tracks, and this bug with a ceiling. GOG, Steam, and multipatch are based on the first released version of December 10. In fact, 10 years ago I also took this old exe as a basis, not knowing about its issues. When the issues became clear, it was already too late to rewrite everything under a newer exe. It was easier to understand the differences, find out what was wrong, and fix the problems.
Quote:
Incredible work and nicely explained even for people who are not really into programming, keep the awesome job up!
Thanks, I will

Last edited by Arsunt; 01-09-17 at 19:24.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 20:01   #42
Kirishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Yes, it is fixed. I also work under some useful changes for music and sound effects.

Yeah, fixed it too. I'll prepare article about object collisions and about this bug some day. In short, Core Design made this mistake in the release of the game of December 10, 1997. Literally the next day, December 11, 1997, they recompiled the game, slightly correcting the logic of the music tracks, and this bug with a ceiling. GOG, Steam, and multipatch are based on the first released version of December 10. In fact, 10 years ago I also took this old exe as a basis, not knowing about its issues. When the issues became clear, it was already too late to rewrite everything under a newer exe. It was easier to understand the differences, find out what was wrong, and fix the problems.

Thanks, I will
I have a question, was the issue with killing the Jade Statue Warriors (enemies in Floating Isles) with the grenade launcher while they were still in statue form fixed? It works in the ps1 version, but crashes the pc version.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 20:05   #43
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
I have a question, was the issue with killing the Jade Statue Warriors (enemies in Floating Isles) with the grenade launcher while they were still in statue form fixed? It works in the ps1 version, but crashes the pc version.
This bug is in my ToDo list. But yes, I'll fix this one.
Old 05-09-17, 21:08   #44
Sardoc

With this patch, will I be able to completely disable any music muting? Like, when I enter the inventory or Lara goes underwater?

That's my major gripe with TR2/3 and their golds, and used to be my major gripe with TR1/UB until Tombati fixed it.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 05:40   #45
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
With this patch, will I be able to completely disable any music muting? Like, when I enter the inventory or Lara goes underwater?
Yep. There is such option in the settings window now.
Old 06-09-17, 14:23   #46
Sardoc

Awesome!

If you need betatesters, I'm up for it.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 15:38   #47
VictorXD

OMG I'm glad that's fixed! That was also one of my major gripes with the PC port. Now PC players are going to experience TR as it should be experienced
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 09:37   #48
TombFire

Sounds awesome! Any news ?
TombFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 12:14   #49
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombFire View Post
Sounds awesome! Any news ?
Yep. I tried in September to make a fast migration to a DirectX 9, but this decision proved to be extremely unreliable and unstable. The first tests showed that I need to redo everything right. During the last 3 months I've been working on a deep decompilation of the game, turning it into C++ code that looks almost like the source code. More importantly, the newly written code works just like the EXE assembly. This result was achieved with the help of the system I developed for integrating the game EXE file and my brand new DLL.

The original EXE of 1997 was taken for the codebase without any patches (even without NoCD). Then it was added the requirement for linking with my DLL and permission to change the program code of the EXE by my DLL. In turn the DLL (when launching the game) automatically places the redirection code into EXE functions that reimplemented in DLL. So game EXE uses DLL functions instead of its original ones. Also, those functions that are not yet implemented in the DLL, but required, are called by DLL from the EXE directly. Global variables are stored on the original addresses in the EXE.

So I recreate the functions one by one, and now I can test the work of my code on the fly. I started with the reimplementation of the platform specific part of the code, in order to get rid of the main compatibility (video/audio/control) problems of the game as soon as possible, without touching the gameplay code for now.

Current statistic are:
76% of the platform specific code reimplemented.
This means 19% of the whole Tomb Raider II code reimplemented.
This also means that at this rate we can recreate the entire game code in at least one year.

Now I'm preparing a project for publication in open source. All interested persons will be provided with the DLL, the patched original EXE, as well as the source codes for your own experiments. Wait for a gift under a Christmas tree

Last edited by Arsunt; 08-12-17 at 12:28.
Old 08-12-17, 14:11   #50
thewolf
Golden

Can't wait for this
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote