Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 05-05-19, 15:57   #21
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
Not necessarily to me, seeing as I started with LAU and went back to the classics retroactively. It's not her personality per se that I miss, but what she used to represent. "Lara Croft" was larger than life. They didn't try to make her a girl next door. She was a caricature. She was the exception. She was the extraordinary. You know what I mean? That campy and over the top, yet elegant and graceful bad bitch is who I fell in love with first and wish I had back. It's not even that I dislike Reboot Lara, because I don't. I probably sunk more hours into the trilogy than any of the previous games and had tons of fun in the process. If I had the chance to pick where the future goes however, I'd pick a classic approach in a heartbeat.
No disagreements, there. I'm all for a larger than life Lara coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I have to raise the question : why does any character have to be "unique" and "iconic" and "one of a kind" etc etc to be good ?

Why are people still bothering to seek originality ? Let me put this so bluntly : personality-wise neither Classic Lara nor Reboot Lara are outstandingly unique . Classic Lara did NOT "own" sassiness or cheesy 90s one-liners nor the semi-super nearly perfect persona and demeanor , and Reboot Lara with her hero syndrome and overall nerdy goody-two-shoes persona is hardly exceptional or impressive beyond words .

I still love them nonetheless , but it's not a rose-tinted blind love .
Very well said. As I previously stated, I think the only unique part of Classic Lara was her backstory. When it comes to how she was portrayed in the games, I'm not really sure what others are seeing that makes them think she was one of a kind.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 16:29   #22
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I'm not really sure what others are seeing that makes them think she was one of a kind.
I think the fact that she was a strong, confident woman who could hold her own, which yes we've seen in other media, but Lara achieved this without being a stuck up bitch. So many females who are strong and independent in films and games are as much, but so frequently they've got a nasty attitude, a hideous air of arrogance and a chip on their shoulder for no reason. Lara remained likeable and cool.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 18:16   #23
larafan25

Lara had a nasty attitude in AOD, and was pretty arrogant.

Anyways. I think literally every character is unique.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 20:38   #24
Daft Raider
Inactive

I thought the same thing while playing that part of the story in MK11. Every other game incorporates aspects of Lara’s character that have been taken away from her. Cassie has dual pistols, jade has a braid, there’s a character in world war z with a braid, DMC5 has dual wielding pistols, that’s just to name a few. CD takes away everything that made Lara and gives excuses as to why they can’t exist but yet other games incorporate them into their games just fine. It boggles my mind.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 20:54   #25
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
I thought the same thing while playing that part of the story in MK11. Every other game incorporates aspects of Lara’s character that have been taken away from her. Cassie has dual pistols, jade has a braid, there’s a character in world war z with a braid, DMC5 has dual wielding pistols, that’s just to name a few. CD takes away everything that made Lara and gives excuses as to why they can’t exist but yet other games incorporate them into their games just fine. It boggles my mind.
And in RDR2 some characters use dual revolvers, dual shotguns, dual pistols and Sadie has a braid and duals and I'm like why doesn't Lara have them anymore? You know, the character in the game that changed the gaming industry forever in 1996?

Last edited by Athukraz; 05-05-19 at 20:55.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 20:58   #26
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
And in RDR2 some characters use dual revolvers, dual shotguns, dual pistols and Sadie has a braid and duals and I'm like why doesn't Lara have them anymore? You know, the character in the game that changed the gaming industry forever in 1996?
I loved Sadie Adler!! She was so cool.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 21:04   #27
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I loved Sadie Adler!! She was so cool.
Such a badass! From a simple wife to someone who shouldn't be messed with. Over the course of 1 game which isn't even about her meanwhile Lara has 3 games and experienced YAMATAI!!! too and she's "still not quite there yet"
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 21:42   #28
Daft Raider
Inactive

^Sadie Adler had a better story arch as a secondary character in RDR2 than Lara has in 3 games as a main character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Also good examples.

“bUt wE doNt hAvE tHe teChnOLoGy fOr dUaL pIsToLS!!! hOW wOuLd tHAt eVeN wORk????”

But 3rd person shooter games like RDR2 and even older games like RE6 has dual pistols and the shooting works just fine... :eyeroll:
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 21:45   #29
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
^Sadie Adler had a better story arch as a secondary character in RDR2 than Lara has in 3 games as a main character.

Also good examples.

“bUt wE doNt hAvE tHe teChnOLoGy fOr dUaL pIsToLS!!! hOW wOuLd tHAt eVeN wORk????”

But 3rd person shooter games like RDR2 and even older games like RE6 has dual pistols and the shooting works just fine... :eyeroll:
The technology excuse was always a nonsensical and dumb excuse. I don't think anyone fell for that. 3rd person shooters that came out YEARS before TR13 had dual wielding.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 21:49   #30
veigafd

There's a lot of people watching this section of the forum right now, I wonder if it's because of this particular thread lol.
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote