Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 25-09-20, 21:31   #1
Guillaume coco
Student

Default kill all trigger in puna temple

hello i want share with you my video on a kill all trigger/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOWnkbh4vt4

i don"t know if the kill all trigger exist in tr1 and TR2

Last edited by Guillaume coco; 25-09-20 at 21:32.
Guillaume coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 03:49   #2
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

im sure there is
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 06:41   #3
Woops
Archaeologist

No, it was introduced in TR3
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 07:59   #4
Mek
Historian

I was confused when I discovered the trigger. I did it by hearing the death sound of the enemies when sliding to the boss in Temple of Puna (I heard the sound on PC. It doesn't appear on all PC Tomb Raider III versions).

Why was the "kill all trigger" introduced? It feels so strange for a game engine to kill enemies when they are not defeated. Is it done for performance reasons? Is there a limit in the engine on the count of alive enemies?
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 14:06   #5
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Is it done for performance reasons? Is there a limit in the engine on the count of alive enemies?
yes, yes
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 14:20   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

One of the problems with the limitations of the game engines for TR1 to TR4, is that the rule is
you can only allow no more than five baddies in one room including Lara Croft, or the body parts of the baddies start disappearing as Lara rotates her view of the room. So it is imperative in the game design to limit the number of baddies, so you do not end up with loads of baddies in one room, either by kill trigger or zone-ing the baddies so they are stuck to one specific area.

It is not the first time, instead of killing the baddies, say due to lack of ammo, I have instead rushed through an area and the baddies stop chasing Lara after a while, as you move into a new area.

Note that five baddy limit does not seem to apply to some New generation TR4 custom games as I have seen a higher limit of baddies in one room and it works OK, not sure how many though to reach a limit.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 26-09-20 at 14:22.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 21:46   #7
Ringtir
Hobbyist

Is really strange how that "works".

But something like that happens on Barkhang, if all the monks survives and some goons appear there will be some dissapearings.

Maybe the Core staff realized this issue and fix it with the room limit.

If i remember correctly, on TR3 the maximum amount of enemies you encounter are the 8(?) Compsognathus.
Ringtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 21:56   #8
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
One of the problems with the limitations of the game engines for TR1 to TR4, is that the rule is
you can only allow no more than five baddies in one room including Lara Croft, or the body parts of the baddies start disappearing as Lara rotates her view of the room. So it is imperative in the game design to limit the number of baddies, so you do not end up with loads of baddies in one room, either by kill trigger or zone-ing the baddies so they are stuck to one specific area.
Thanks for explaining it

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
It is not the first time, instead of killing the baddies, say due to lack of ammo, I have instead rushed through an area and the baddies stop chasing Lara after a while, as you move into a new area.
I remember a situation when I was playing Coastal Village last year. I reached the village, activated all of the villagers I could and deliberately didn't kill them. I wanted to gather them all in one place. I thought that all of them would chase me, but this wasn't true. When I entered the area with the treehouse, the enemies from the village returned to it and didn't join the ones from the treehouse area. I was surprised by this, but now I know why it works this way

Are there other places in Tomb Raider III with the "kill all trigger"?
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 12:22   #9
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Why was the "kill all trigger" introduced? It feels so strange for a game engine to kill enemies when they are not defeated. Is it done for performance reasons? Is there a limit in the engine on the count of alive enemies?
Itís for performance reasons, especially for the PlayStation version. Whatís the point in keeping the enemies alive when Lara can no longer access them after sliding down the slope ?

TR2 had a similar trigger that would clear up all the dead bodies on the floor to reduce polygon count.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote