Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 16-10-20, 02:24   #91
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

If we're picking at TRLR.. I hate the squeaky menu sounds
Old 16-10-20, 09:00   #92
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I won't be picking every issue in each individual game but instead focus on the long-term issues Core had.

1. Allowed Toby Gard to leave. Tomb Raider I was his baby and he was one of the main reasons why the first installment was so good (except the cube room in Egypt). All the little animations and nuisances were his ideas that he added secretly for the devs to find later. After he left TR was never really the same.
2. Kept one studio to produce each TR game instead of dividing work into two. Even Ady Smith (?) admitted that it was a bad idea. With two teams working at the same time, they would have had more time to work on each game.
3. Kept one, heavily hardcoded engine for the entire PSX period instead of putting another team to work on a new one.
4. Insisted on "one game, one engine" policy which resulted in multiple games having different engines even within the same franchise. They should have focused on making a unified engine to base all their future work on, including TR. Some long running companies still work on their x360 or even PSX era engines, although extremely modified.
5. Gave their most important title to a new, inexperienced team at the time when generations were changing. I don't even know who thought that would be a good idea. They should have pulled all the veterans together to work on it instead.
6. Accepted Eidos' demands to release TR6 even though it was unfinished. They should have asked for those 6 more months to fix controls and gameplay issues.
7. They should have never accepted to work on something big for PS2 in the first place. Their initial idea to remake TR1 was far more sensible and it would have allowed them to easily enter the PS2 generation.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 09:48   #93
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Wait I thought that there were two teams ever since TRIII. The rookies were hired to make TRIII while the veterans focused on "revolutionising" the series by making The Last Revelation. Is this false?
Old 16-10-20, 10:35   #94
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

I don't think so. I always thought they had two teams. One for Tomb Raider, doing the annual release and one for another project. AOD/Chronicles is when they had two TR teams.
Old 16-10-20, 10:47   #95
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

I checked the 20 Years of Tomb Raider book at on page 35 they say that they wanted to wait after TRII and make something new but fan demand for a third game was huge so they say they hired a new team to work on it while the rest were focusing on something "revolutionary and next gen" (I'm not sure if they mean Angel of Darkness or Last Revelation but by the time they were ready to release Last Revelation they were already thinking of Angel of Darkness as "Tomb Raider Next Gen")

Last edited by LNSNHGTDS; 16-10-20 at 11:10.
LNSNHGTDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 10:50   #96
Ikas90
Globetrotter

TR4 and TR5 - Bad puzzle design, leaving the player absolutely clueless at times.

TRAOD - Almost everything.
Old 18-10-20, 11:15   #97
Ellioft
Professor

The Lethal and Loaded Documentary
Old 18-10-20, 17:01   #98
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
Wait I thought that there were two teams ever since TRIII.
I'm pretty sure it was a separate team that produced the GOLD expansions and the Lost Artifact but I could be wrong though.
Old 19-10-20, 12:31   #99
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

The only thing Core Design did wrong IMO was removing Lara's Home from the games after TR3 and incorporating the training level into the main game.

They could have easily kept Lara's Home and still have the training level in the main game if they wanted to.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:58   #100
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
6. Accepted Eidos' demands to release TR6 even though it was unfinished. They should have asked for those 6 more months to fix controls and gameplay issues.
7. They should have never accepted to work on something big for PS2 in the first place. Their initial idea to remake TR1 was far more sensible and it would have allowed them to easily enter the PS2 generation.
Are these even within the studio's legal power to perform? I mean, I guess technically they can just not develop games, but that renders them incapable of turning any profit and people would just leave to work elsewhere.