Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 16-01-13, 08:41   #21
mizuno_suisei

Sorry to bump such an old thread but does this extraction and repacking process accept the use of non-english characters? (In my situation, japanese) I recently spent an arm and a leg on the rare JP version of TRU and I'm interesting in changing the ingame text.

EDIT: Just got home and tried it myself. the JP Bigfiles only get the English texts extracted. Any chance of looking more into other languages?

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 16-01-13 at 09:27.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 04:47   #22
sephiroth99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread but does this extraction and repacking process accept the use of non-english characters? (In my situation, japanese) I recently spent an arm and a leg on the rare JP version of TRU and I'm interesting in changing the ingame text.

EDIT: Just got home and tried it myself. the JP Bigfiles only get the English texts extracted. Any chance of looking more into other languages?
Yeah I could take a look at it (even though I said I wouldn't add features anymore )

Expect something next week
sephiroth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 06:09   #23
mizuno_suisei

My apologies, I was on my phone reading this thread so I managed to miss some posts. If you still would like to look into it and need anything being that I have a non-english character system version just give me a yell
Old 18-01-13, 04:39   #24
sephiroth99

Quote:
My apologies, I was on my phone reading this thread so I managed to miss some posts. If you still would like to look into it and need anything being that I have a non-english character system version just give me a yell
Don't worry about it

New version 0.1.3 should do the trick

Get it here: Version 0.1.3 (back on dropbox as it looks like github dropped downloads, wtf...)
And get the source code at the usual place!

To extract a specific language, do:

Code:
translatr extract lang bigfile_path [be] [patch_path]
lang is the language ID, which is one of these:
0 = English
1 = French
2 = German
3 = Italian
4 = Spanish

Unconfirmed languages:
5? or 11? = Dutch
?? = Japanese
?? = Portugese
7? = Polish
?? = EnglishUK
9? = Russian
10? = Czech
12? = Hungarian

Note 1: If nothing extracts, it means you don't have the language!
Note 2: Known limitation! You need to have the fonts to write in another alphabet! Example, you can't write subs in Russian if the game version doesn't have the fonts file for Cyrillic! And there is no way to change the fonts file!

Last edited by sephiroth99; 19-01-13 at 06:51.
Old 18-01-13, 06:21   #25
mizuno_suisei

Ooh how exciting! Thank you! I'll give it a try as soon as I get home and report back to you. this could get interesting
Old 18-01-13, 09:36   #26
mizuno_suisei

Brilliant, it extracts fine and the japanese text is all correct!

My next question is, locals.bin which according to other posts, contains the menu text. mainly, i want to type the main disclaimer loading screen into japanese, how lazy of them to have left it in english -__- I can't find locals.bin anywhere! no evidence in translations.xml or bigfile.xml.

Any ideas?
Old 18-01-13, 13:25   #27
sephiroth99

Quote:
Brilliant, it extracts fine and the japanese text is all correct!

My next question is, locals.bin which according to other posts, contains the menu text. mainly, i want to type the main disclaimer loading screen into japanese, how lazy of them to have left it in english -__- I can't find locals.bin anywhere! no evidence in translations.xml or bigfile.xml.

Any ideas?
Are the menus and prompts in japanese or they also are in english? My first guess would be that if they are in english, they would be in the english locals.bin. So, what I would try is to extract in english, translate the part you want, and load the game (in japanese) and see if the english text is changed.

If it doesn't work let me know we'll try something else.
Old 18-01-13, 13:38   #28
mizuno_suisei

The menu texts are in full japanese. The only english text i've seen is the launching eidos crystal disclaimer. I did a search of the japanese menu terms in translations.xml but nothing they must all be subtitles.

Are these extra bin files you speak of part of the xml files or what?
Old 18-01-13, 23:17   #29
sephiroth99

Quote:
The menu texts are in full japanese. The only english text i've seen is the launching eidos crystal disclaimer. I did a search of the japanese menu terms in translations.xml but nothing they must all be subtitles.

Are these extra bin files you speak of part of the xml files or what?
ohh you mean that disclaimer..! I think it's a static image :S

The locals.bin files are where the texts for in game menus and the like are stored. There is one file per language. If you say that the menus are in japanese, then it's not what I thought...

I'm gonna check about the image and get back to you... soon
Old 18-01-13, 23:56   #30
mizuno_suisei

You're right. just used TexMod and extracted the disclaimer, it's indeed an image. Hopefully we can find that image within the bigfiles to make it a permanent change and not have to use texmod.

Been up for the past 1hr 1/2 and no luck with menu texts! cant find them anywhere in the extracted bigfile contents