Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 05-09-19, 15:20   #21
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I really wonder what's in that script that has MGM creaming themselves to make a sequel so quickly. That flew - I mean Jump only wrote a treatment which Vikander liked in April and now the script is at the point they've attached Wheatley and want to make this thing.

Guess we'll see!
Maybe a early version of the script will leak once again and makes us go on a rampage the moment the words "dad" or "Richard" appear on it like last time.

But it might be a good sign that Amy's first draft was at least passable enough to be green lit so soon. But I am pretty sure that the script will still be ironed out up until shooting starts.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 15:22   #22
GeekOfComedy

He's so not my choice that get this: maybe Lara Croft should get her double guns. He's such a balls to the walls choice that will make the film niche anyway that they may as well give the double guns because this film is clearly not designed to be a blockbuster so if they keep the budget low at 60M or so, it really only needs to make 200M.

But he is so out there I hope MGM realised their mistake from Fede Álvarez as MGM made Girl in the Spiders web and it's clear they hired him for this crazy style of film making but handicapped it with tons of studio notes so it just kind of seemed bland gothic. Wheatley is so in that camp that they better just go full Wheatley for better or worse because I do not want a bizarre but bland film.

Damn it Warner Brothers, you couldn't have just called up Patty J!

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 05-09-19 at 15:25.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 15:30   #23
Portugalraider

Ben is a more experienced director though, and that might help.

Also, after Wonder Woman being such a big hit, no way Patty Jenkins would direct a Tomb Raider movie. It's a much smaller franchise than the DCEU and Wonder Woman.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 16:24   #24
Tonyrobinson

Lower budget, more creative freedom and limited studio meddling all stems well from Ben's hiring in my opinion. I can see this being mid-tier and focused. Soloman kane has fantastic sets and locations and effects done on a lower budget.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 05-09-19 at 18:57.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 17:00   #25
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Lower budget, more creative freedom and limited studio meddling all stems well from Ben's hiring in my opinion. I can see this being mid-tier and focused. Soloman Lane has fantastic sets and locations and effects done on a lower budget.
What if Alicia bring her money to the table too ?
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 18:58   #26
Tonyrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
What if Alicia bring her money to the table too ?
She may well have, she has enough clout in having a say in the film I wouldn't be surprised if she got an exec credit.
Old 05-09-19, 19:26   #27
JsotoTRSaga

Alicia is amazing, I can't wait for this movie.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 20:23   #28
GeekOfComedy

Oh 2021 is 25 years of Lara Croft. Duh.

Also: no way Vikander is putting money into this, even GK isn't and he put money into buying the rights.

Do feel bad for Roar though as I probably would have picked him over Wheatley as now he will have to go through the trials and tribulations of making the 1st time blockbuster and dealing with VFX training wheels etc.

I wonder if this will be the horror genre movie Tomb Raider should have always been - in interviews people always talk about being scared playing Tomb Raider as a child with the dark dungeons etc so why not make THAT movie as that's how mainstream audiences felt playing the original games.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 05-09-19 at 20:27.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-19, 20:34   #29
Tonyrobinson

I would love horror elements included in the film. If there goal was to go all out on grounded supernaturalism Ben will definitely bring the weird side of things.
Old 05-09-19, 20:48   #30
PinkyPromise

The Yaaxil part in Shadow of TR is quite scary... They could adapt Shadow and not be a bad idea ... it's quite dark and everything takes place in the jungle. In fact, insiders said they thought of Shadow
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote