www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 28-11-21, 07:17   #131
PyroGXPilot
Hobbyist

Thank You!
PyroGXPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 22:17   #132
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

was anyone able to make animations for lara with iks?
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 22:45   #133
adngel
Historian

I've been some hours today trying that, but no I could not.

- I'm struggling to import animations per se. For example, a door animation, if I use the .fbx, it just get a bunch of glitches, if I use the .dae I get the animation smooth, but in the origin, it loose the position offset.

- I tried also the rigged Lara NotAgain! shared, but if I apply the IK, the foot doesn't get oriented propely, and also if I try to apply the "Copy Location" constraint to avoid the foot bones separating from the leg, it just get worse.

I still have not give up, but I haven't got an animation workflow yet, specially for non-Lara objects. (The one of AOD -> TRLE worked fine for me, but it doesn't had IK).

Last edited by adngel; 30-11-21 at 22:46.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 04:44   #134
not again!
Archaeologist

^^
Quote:
if I apply the IK, the foot doesn't get oriented propely, and also if I try to apply the "Copy Location" constraint to avoid the foot bones separating from the leg, it just get worse.
I've been down the same rabbit hole and had the same experience. However it should be possible to make it work by adding constraints to control the movement, but this is a complicated and tedious process. I tested the process by adding IK bones and constraints to just on one leg and the resulting animation did import correctly into WadTool.
So as far as I know, it should be possible to build an IK rig, but it's lots of complicated work.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 11:30   #135
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Damn, that sucks. 3ds max is able to add iks very easily, however the idea I had was to move on from that and go to a possibly easier/more optimized program.

Maybe we're still too early..
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 13:33   #136
jvry
Hobbyist

Can you not do it with the rigify addon? Or does the way Lara's joints work make that difficult?
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 02:01   #137
adngel
Historian

I have not explored rigify a lot, has it got a function to bake the IK bones?.

Using the WadBlender Importer rig I manage to make a workable IK in Blender, but if I use the Blender's bake function to remove the IK leaving the source bones rotations, it works in Blender, but when I import Lara in WadTool all her bones looked weirdly rotated.

Is for that bake function, if I have a normal animation that works, and if I bake it, then Lara goes to this posture.

I haven't got anymore ideas about how to go on with the .anim exporter way. O_ I suposse that I'll go back to try apply the IK to a .dae rig.

Last edited by adngel; 04-12-21 at 19:03.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 04:56   #138
not again!
Archaeologist

The issue is that each bone in a rig has its own bone axis:

When using Blender's export scripts for animations (fbx or dae) then animations will only import correctly into Wadtool when the bones of the rig at rest position are aligned with Blender's world axis:

This is the reason why the bones in my rig are horizontal.

WadBlender's custom export script for animations allows for vertical bones, but as I mentioned here and adngel just confirmed also, baking the animation will break it for import into WadTool.

-----

edit: thinking a bit more about this @adngel, what happens if you set keyframes manually for your WadBlender IK rig animations?

edit2: ah, ignore the question; you already explained the problem in your previous post above!

Last edited by not again!; 03-12-21 at 06:14.
Old 03-12-21, 06:27   #139
adngel
Historian

Unhappy

Using the rig with the bones aligned in Y (->Y)

The problem was that I couldn't apply the IK to those bones (the IK constrainer made the leg rotate weirdly).

What I have tried now is to duplicate legs bones, (so I had the real bones and a bunch of clones to do the actual IK), I managed to make that work in Blender, but no in Wad Tool.

So two problems remains.
- Rotation keep being wrong.
- The hip remains stuck in center, and the foots get sliding, instead of the oposite.

I don't know, tomorrow I'll give it another try
Old 04-12-21, 12:19   #140
not again!
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adngel View Post
the IK constrainer made the leg rotate weirdly.
You can add additional constraints to control how the bones can move and limit their range of motion. I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but I found this tutorial back then when I was looking into building an IK rig - it shows how to set up an advanced IK rig with lots of controller bones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0U81jlTYY