www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 09-01-20, 19:30   #61
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer the PS1 versions of TR1-5 instead of PC.

TR1 and 3 are the only games with quite big differences.. mainly the saving and the fact PC's lighting in 3 is so weak/less colourful in comparison.
I just love the extra challenge save crystals add, especially in TR1

I'm also a sucker for those big retro health/air bars and their position all on one side of the screen - instead of being TINY and on opposite ends left and right

I'm currently replicating all these into my TRLE stuff and it looks so much better
dcw123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 19:17   #62
JOHN30011887
Student

I prefer pc version, i use dgvoodoo for them all to give a color boost and you can tweak the brightness with it so overall pc looks alot better to me, then theres the fan patches to make them even better
Old 13-01-20, 20:01   #63
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN30011887 View Post
I prefer pc version, i use dgvoodoo for them all to give a color boost and you can tweak the brightness with it so overall pc looks alot better to me, then theres the fan patches to make them even better
Don't get me wrong - the PC versions are lovely (I own the all aswell as the PSX versions)

TR3's PC port however just isn't the same as PSX in terms of lighting..
And I don't just mean tweaking brightness/contrast.
The in-game lights just don't look as strong and colourful. Area 51 is where this effect is most noticeable.
I did a direct side by side comparison of psx and pc (even with colour boosted) and the difference was quite shocking.

And while the fan patches are indeed amazing, it only changes the bar colours - not their size or location.
My issue with the PC bars is they are just too small. Playing at high resolutions, sometimes its tiny or even off the screen.
Here's a comparison even with Arsunts patches

I tend to play the PSX games through an emulator for the HD resolution, filtering etc, while keeping the psx exclusive stuff like save crystals, bars, TR3,4,5's echo effects and footprints etc
I boost the contrast up on my TV so I get that retro vibe (PC used to have really bland colour saturation in TR1)
I'm playing TR1 right now and I can't tell the difference between what I'm playing and the PC version.. except for the obvious crystals to save and the occasional flickering lines where the rooms haven't been matched up properly (not sure if this is as noticeable on PC)
Dunno why but I love the Bi Linear Filtering off.. gives it the retro look. It also hides a lot of the lines in the grid.

Last edited by dcw123; 13-01-20 at 20:13.
dcw123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-20, 20:39   #64
laravision
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
And while the fan patches are indeed amazing, it only changes the bar colours - not their size or location.
My issue with the PC bars is they are just too small. Playing at high resolutions, sometimes its tiny or even off the screen.
Arsunt's TR2Main patch does support PlayStation bar positioning and scaling options.

Quote:
The health/air bar accuracy increased for higher resolutions.
Added PlayStation styled health bar position (optional feature via .reg file).
Added custom HUD scaling options (optional feature via .reg file).
Old 15-01-20, 03:18   #65
Andy24
Hobbyist

I would like to say thank you for sharing The Golden Mask converted to PlayStation. I really appreciate your work and time to made this! Also, I am wondering something... I burned into a CD and I am able to play it on my PSone but I just won't be able to play Unfinished Business made by Gh0stBlade, it freezes when I try to play it on my ps1. Could somebody please help me with this issue? Is there a bin & cue file fixed and ready to burn? Thak you!
Andy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 05:37   #66
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Here's a comparison even with Arsunts patches
It can be adjusted with extra options:
PSX: TR2Main:

PSX: TR2Main:
Old 15-01-20, 08:09   #67
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24 View Post
but I just won't be able to play Unfinished Business made by Gh0stBlade, it freezes when I try to play it on my ps1. Could somebody please help me with this issue? Is there a bin & cue file fixed and ready to burn? Thak you!
I am working on my own version of TRUB on PS1 (one that has all the enemies intact) https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=645 so you just need a little patience.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 16:24   #68
Andy24
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
I am working on my own version of TRUB on PS1 (one that has all the enemies intact) https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=645 so you just need a little patience.
OMG! Yes! I will be patience! Thank you very much!
Andy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-20, 06:05   #69
TempleOfHorus
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
Yes, cant wait on it
TempleOfHorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 15:40   #70
b122251
Explorer

Default TR2PCPSX Update: 1.1.0

Hey everybody,

I have just released an update to my Tomb Raider II PC to PSX Level Converter. It's not a major update or anything, it's just an improvement to the texture conversion, making the colour reduction more efficient and slightly higher quality. It's (as always) available at my website (b122251.org) under Tomb Raider -> Tools.

Enjoy

Last edited by b122251; 28-03-20 at 15:42.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote