www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 08-02-20, 00:52   #15751
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Yikes, BOP is looking to open SUPER low and no offence to fans on here but Robbie's Harley Quinn is MUCH MORE relevant than Vikander's Lara Croft and it's expected to open ONLY at $33M, only $10M more than Tomb Raider but Birds Of Prey is also $10M more than TR which means that film needs an additional $30M to break even. (For even $1 spent, it needs to make $3) And with China on lockdown, the middle kingdom wont save BOP.

Lets see how BOP ends up but right now this is a strike against an R-Rated female actioner, you narrow your audience and the audience for something as big as Harley Quinn is just not there. I'm sure people here are gonna reply "I don't like Harley Quinn or I never heard of her" but that character is much bigger in pop culture zeitgeist, fact - not opinion. Let's see how BOP plays out in a months time, maybe even MGM is waiting to see how BOP plays out but it's off to a weak start.

Edit: apparently the film shot itself in the foot by being R-rated as only 7% of the audience was under 18 (as in they sneaked in) and they liked the film the most out of all other age demographics so it's currently looking to be in Vikanders favour to keep it PG-13. It doesn't translate into money for a film if kids buy tickets for Gretel & Hansel but sneak into BOP.
This hurts to read. I haven't seen BOP yet but I'm always pulling for Margot in her creative endeavors. It doesn't hurt that she's a supporter of Alicia's TR too

Hopefully it doesn't hurt her too much as it seems critics/audiences are enjoying it and she got to make a movie she was passionate about.
Old 08-02-20, 01:18   #15752
iWANEX
Gold Membership

I just saw BoP and it was a lot of fun. I think the main reason for some people not supporting it is the fact that it's too "girl power". And honestly, you REALLY need to please male audiences somehow if you're going to have a violent, action packed, R-rated movie. Historically those kind of movies don't attract female audiences as much as male audiences, and I think that's also why the new Charlie's Angels didn't succeed either.

As I said, I loved the movie but I can also see why some people (mainly men, of course) are not interested in it AT ALL. Not only there's 0 nice male characters, but the ones that they show are incredibly misogynistic and some of them even rapey. I mean, that's insane these days, specially if you don't want to alienate your audience. It's the equivalent of having an all male cast and the few women they show are just whores or damsels in distress. It's weird. Even the fight at the funhouse, it's all the women fighting all these horrible men. The people at the prison? All horrible men. The policemen and Montoya's coworkers? Horrible men. The Chinese man? Horrible too. It was way too much.

IMO the next TR movie will only succeed if they have a great, gritty, violent story that's also adventurous, in which Lara shares her screen time with Lu Ren (or another male character, preferably Chinese, of course). With Ana potentially being the villain and Lara, there's already way too many women for some people to handle. There needs to be a male counterpart that can kick ass just like Lara and assist her when needed. I think Lu can hold his own and it would be nice for him to be back and explore his backstory a little more and flesh him out. He had very little to do in the first movie.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 01:50   #15753
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

I hope BOP gets some praise. I don't think its failure would mean anything to TR2. The Joker was mediocre at best and it gets overpraised like Hell, Harley Quinn could follow the path but it won't because, you know... It's better to watch an incel man in a mediocre movie than a powerful woman in a mediocre movie, apparently.
Old 08-02-20, 08:09   #15754
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Sorry ... is this the post of BoP? I do not understand (each movie with a female protagonist will be compared to TR?) BoP is a video game adaptation? BoP is an adventure movie? I don't understand why mentioned BoP so much in this post.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 13:48   #15755
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Sorry ... is this the post of BoP? I do not understand (each movie with a female protagonist will be compared to TR?) BoP is a video game adaptation? BoP is an adventure movie? I don't understand why mentioned BoP so much in this post.
It's not just being female-lead movie, it's being a female-lead action blockbuster that went somehow conservative with its budget and is trying to do its own thing instead of just copying the norms of its genre. For all we know, that movie's successes and failures can still influence the direction of Tomb Raider 2, just by making MGM and the producers more comfortable on giving Ben Wheatley more creative freedom or not.

-----

Anyways, I BoP might still do good at the box office, but more Shazam! numbers (365M) than Wonder Woman (822M). If it does something between 325M - 350M, that's still at least 50M more than what Tomb Raider did. It might not be good numbers for WB, but for MGM it might be worth the risk.

BoP can also be a bit more of a slow burner. Many were expecting the movie to also be panned by critics, and might have not bother to buy tickets for the premiere because of that. But the movie actually being a critical success might push those people to go watch it after all, especially if word of mouth is also good.

But in any case, the lessons from BoP seem to be:
  • Make it good;
  • Make it look unique;
  • Budget it well;
  • Actually market the movie (a shocker, I know)
  • Perhaps still keep it PG-13 (which considering how brutal TR2018 sometimes was, even with the PG-13 rating, I don't really think it's a bad thing, really);
Old 08-02-20, 14:36   #15756
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

There may be less risk this time to their domestic box office around with MGM using UA as their US distributor and Warner Bros for their worldwide, I definitely think this will have a budget decrease more reflective of the performance. Say they capped it at 60-75M it could still perform very well and outdo the first. I've said from the beginning they should follow John Wick as an example and we shouldn't underestimate the power that the brand name still holds in Europe. They are having the knowledge this time that they can sell better to the overseas market and probably won't be focusing as much on the domestic.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a streaming deal in place like they are doing with the new Matilda movie and having a streamed US domestic release a few months after the initial overseas cinema release. They may make more that way with already having a streaming deal in place to recoup some of the budget similar to how the first film sold the TV rights before it was even recorded.

They could sell the exclusive streaming rights to Apple or WB for their service and do a release excluding the US or even just a limited US release then when the time comes it drops on digital home download and they release it on a platform in the US.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 08-02-20 at 14:42.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 15:06   #15757
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

I rewatched tr2018 two days ago and I liked it more than the first time.

I didn't remember Alicia being so good as younger Lara. I actually see her Lara more appealing than the Reboot one. She's not THE Lara, but she is not an idiot either.

I also must say that I like movie Mathias. He's sick of Yamatai and I like how Walton Goggins looked so done and dragged the words.

Something I didn't like was that Lara's face was basically untouched, she only had a scar. I wanted to see more gory damage.

And I think this is an unpopular opinion around here, I'm not sure, but I like the virus thing. Thanks to this, Lara learns that there's a truth behind each myth. Lara Croft wouldn't be her if she wasn't prepared for the sobrenatural.

Last edited by SnatchingEdges; 08-02-20 at 15:09.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 18:29   #15758
TrustyBow
Professor

Not gonna lie, It'd be pretty awesome if BOP made less than TR did. It's only supposed to make $34 million this weekend, and Sonic comes out next week, so it's not even going to be able to make half of that next weekend.

I mean it's not that I wish ill will on the movie but considering it had way more going for it than TR (Harley's current pop culture appeal; Margot Robbie & Ewan McGregor), it just goes to show that Lara still has franchise potential.
Old 09-02-20, 08:58   #15759
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Not gonna lie, It'd be pretty awesome if BOP made less than TR did. It's only supposed to make $34 million this weekend
TR did 23M....
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 11:51   #15760
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
TR did 23M....
It only made 23M because of Black Panther. Birds of Prey has no competition.