Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 21-02-19, 18:47   #31
CoTeCiO

Quote:
Originally Posted by akci View Post
One extreme would be if someone actually prints out the walkthru and follows it word by word while playing
I've played a couple of TR games like that, actually. When it comes to walkthroughs, I like to follow it while playing, I particularly like to imagine how that next area looks like by reading the description and then see in the game how similar or different that area actually is. I actually enjoy that a lot.

Every person has a different style and approach to a game. Some feel following a walkthrough takes out all the fun and the purpose of a game like TR (there's a good example of that in this thread), where a lot of it revolves around exploration and puzzle solving. I just discovered years ago that playing like that doesn't work for me, I get frustrated too quickly and it gets boring after a bit. Sometimes I'd get stuck in a room, read the walkthrough and scream "how the f**k were you supposed to figure THAT out?!". I remember a strength upgrade in TRAOD being like that, you had to push a block that's over another block, but you had to pull it first, then move another block under it or something like that, it made no sense.

Something similar happens when I buy things. I read the instructions even when I know exactly how to use or assemble that thing, reading all the things that thing can do makes me feel more excited towards turning on whatever it is for the first time.
CoTeCiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-19, 23:01   #32
Nerdy

Im using it especially for tr3 (wanna marathon fast through these games)

But WOAAA. Such a beautiful game. But it requires patience.

Some reviewer said that the first level is harder to get into in tr2 then 3. I disagree. Maybe Because I grew up with tr2. Idk
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 13:27   #33
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
Im using it especially for tr3 (wanna marathon fast through these games)

But WOAAA. Such a beautiful game. But it requires patience.

Some reviewer said that the first level is harder to get into in tr2 then 3. I disagree. Maybe Because I grew up with tr2. Idk
You are right about that. The visuals and level design remain stunning, in their own unique way. I feel very strong about this game. The sound effects and soundtrack are also underrated in my opinion.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 19:27   #34
CheshireBitch

I think that TR1 and TR2 can be done without walkthrough at a certain age, but some TR3 and TR4 levels... you can barely found out what to do so I don't know how people did without a walkthrough
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-19, 22:59   #35
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
I think that TR1 and TR2 can be done without walkthrough at a certain age, but some TR3 and TR4 levels... you can barely found out what to do so I don't know how people did without a walkthrough
I personally got through TR4 quite easily (minus the underwater maze, and maybe some other minor parts? ) but TR3 is the real devil tbh
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-19, 04:27   #36
SnatchingEdges

The point of games is to enjoy them. I don't have all day or patience to stay an hour looking for a key that was hidden behind some non-intuitive place.

I always play the ps1 version of TR and, God Almighty, isn't it annoying redoing the same parts and jumps because you don't want to waste your 2 save crystals? (hate Nevada) It gets boring easily, I used the All Items cheat.

There's nothing like the satisfaction you get when you find that lever after inspecting every rook and crannie, but it gets frustrating and not funny when there's a bad puzzle/mechanic choice (the penny in Aldwych or the crowbar with the hook in TR4).
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 17:18   #37
michaeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
When it comes to TR4, no it's not cheating to use a walkthrough. It's one TR game I couldn't beat without a walkthrough
Seconded
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 05:06   #38
JoelCaesar

TRIV is brutal with its puzzles. It's made worse that for some levels you need items from other levels. At least with TRIII everything is contained.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 10:42   #39
dg1995

Nah OP.

If you are stuck in one place, spend 1-2 hours to see if you can find a way out without using guide.
If you couldn't find it then it's time to use a guide.

And after using guide you may learn something from it.(For example, you realize that you should have paid more attention to something which you didn't.)

I personally couldn't beat TR 4 without a guide.(Couldn't find that 4th damned star near the end of the game. That was the only section of it that I used a guide.)

Edit: For TR 3 I beat that game without a guide. But I solved one of it's puzzles accidentally.

Last edited by dg1995; 03-12-19 at 10:48.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 20:41   #40
Lavender

I actually don't think it's cheating bc like you said, I don't like it either being stuck for ages. Obviously you've been in every corner trying to figure it out or solve the puzzle, so last best thing instead of using actual cheat codes is using a walkthrough, imo

(xx from nextdoor)
Lavender is offline   Reply With Quote