Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 25-09-19, 01:17   #1
charmedangelin

Default What's up with the Jungle guy?

I can't remember his name, but I finished the first level again and honestly he seems like he is on a bad LSD trip or something. Lara was actually trying to be polite and was concerned for his friends, but he was acting like he was all up on drugs and I get the feeling that Lara just wasn't impressed with him at the end of the cut scene and she suspected something had happened to him.

Maybe that's why she is shooting at him in Level 3? Perhaps she suspected him of killing his friends Randy and Roary and beleived him to have been crazied after he left the temple.

Was he possessed by the artifact when Lara first met him or was he always shady?
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 01:22   #2
Helegad

You answered your own question. It was the artifact's power over him. Maybe it's an evil piece of meteorite from a part where an alien died or some ****. I don't think anyone working for a mining company is going to get away with dropping acid for very long.

Last edited by Dennis's Mom; 25-09-19 at 11:59. Reason: Censor circumvention
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 03:09   #3
NoahCrofRaider

If I remember correctly (or this is just a theory of my own and I forgot), the reason he already seemed like he was on acid was because he had already come in contact with the Infada Stone, which caused him to go crazy and see “hundreds of you, talking and chattering and mixing my brain up”. This would also explain why he already had it in the cutscene at the end of Temple Ruins.

Or, y’know, he just found some wild mushrooms in the forest and the rest was history.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 08:48   #4
Maverin

You are referring to Tony 'the loon'. According to the wiki he got sick from jungle fever: https://villains.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_(Tomb_Raider).

I think it's more likely he got power hungry and allowed himself to be influenced by the artifact and it's power. Something Lara obviously didn't allow since she didn't go crazy and neither used any of it's capabilities.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 14:20   #5
JsotoTRSaga

I always thought it was the Infada's stone influence over him, However Tony had murdered Randy & Rory for the Artifact so I'm not sure if he was just Mad all the way through or as a member pointed out maybe he had Jungle Fever. Personally I think the correct answer is a mix of all 3.

Also Charmed to answer your final question Tony is only fully possessed by the Infada Stone when we see him for a second time outside of Temple Ruins in the River where he has the Infada Artifact in his Chest.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 25-09-19 at 15:42.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 15:32   #6
ESCachuli

The monkeys of the Temple Ruins level were also under the influence of the stone. In the Jungle level, they don't attack you, but they do in the next one. So, I guess he got possesed by the stone. Also, maybe he got sick and thus he was weak and couldn't resist to the influence of the stone.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 00:41   #7
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I always thought it was the Infada's stone influence over him, However Tony had murdered Randy & Rory for the Artifact so I'm not sure if he was just Mad all the way through or as a member pointed out maybe he had Jungle Fever. Personally I think the correct answer is a mix of all 3.

Also Charmed to answer your final question Tony is only fully possessed by the Infada Stone when we see him for a second time outside of Temple Ruins in the River where he has the Infada Artifact in his Chest.
Do we know this? The way they were hovering in the air, one slashed from the top of his head to his groin (a statue's blade?), and the other with a gaping hole in his chest (removed artefact?), doesn't look like the results of a crazy man.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 03:23   #8
JsotoTRSaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Do we know this? The way they were hovering in the air, one slashed from the top of his head to his groin (a statue's blade?), and the other with a gaping hole in his chest (removed artefact?), doesn't look like the results of a crazy man.
He used the artifact's powers to kill them?

Edit: actually hold that thought your theory makes much more sense. However Tony must've been there when his friends died in the Temple, otherwise he wouldn't have the Infada Stone in his power all along by the time we meet him. I think all 3 of them might've become insane for it and all hell broke lose. The statue killed one of them (the one with the slit throat) and the other one floating with a hole in his chest might have been killed by Tony in order to steal the artifact from him. Who knows what happened though, it's actually fun to theorize about these games.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 26-09-19 at 13:32.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 04:16   #9
LaraCablara

Tomb Raider 3 had such a cool thing going for it storywise with its different sagas it’s just too bad all this stuff was so badly communicated.

If it wasn’t for the internet I also wouldn’t have known what went down with Tony.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-19, 13:58   #10
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
He used the artifact's powers to kill them
You say that quite definitively. There is a ton of evidence scattered about and this game is fun to theorise about. If you don't mind, here's my far too detailed analysis of this event.

What we know for certain.

Randy and Rory are found in the final room of the temple. Both are suspended unnaturally in the air, one has a gaping hole in his chest and the other is almost bisected vertically. Time of death is impossible to determine, their blood is still red so technically it shouldn't have been long ago, but few games follow the blood-dries-brown rule. At one end of the room is a very well armed statue, and at the other a small entrance to a cave leading down to the River Ganges where Lara finds Tony with the artefact buried in his chest. Tony is unaware of Lara's presence until she opens fire. We have two suspects at the scene; Tony, and the Statue.

Tony 'the loon's Testimony.

He says a lot to Lara the first time they meet, jabbering about faces and voices. He's already gone insane and is hallucinating when we first encounter him. His campsite is deserted, and he's packing up the last bits of equipment. There are some important things he let's slip to Lara during this conversation.

"Randy and Rory... they're staying put in that temple. I told 'em not to, I warned them first. Not saying much now I doubt under half a ton of mudslide."

At the time you don't suspect much, fairly normal cause of death and we later find the entrance courtyard and hall of the temple (where Lara first fights a statue) to be flooded with mud. However that's not where we find his friends, they're in the final room of the temple with a very different cause of death. Not only does this not line up with what Tony told Lara, but the cause of death is much more violent. Both are suspended unnaturally in the air, one with a gaping hole in his chest, and the other almost bisected vertically.

I call attention to this because it implies that at this point, when Tony is packing up the camp, he believes that's what happened to his companions. He also says another important thing in this conversation...

"Voodoo magic and all huh? I don't touch the stuff myself."

This, combined with his claim that Randy and Rory died to mudslide, imply to me that at this point Tony has not entered the temple. He and his companions found it, Tony got scared and warned them not to go in, they did and a mudslide followed, separating the two parties. Tony assumed the worst then returned to camp and began to pack up.

What if Tony was lying to Lara at the campsite? I'll examine that possibility later. For now, let's assume he's telling the truth.

Tony's second appearance.

Lara spots Tony after exiting the temple, a very short distance from the 'back door'. We can infer that Tony didn't progress through the temple the same way that Lara did as she spies his Quad Bike just upstream, but he did enter the temple as the Infada Stone is now pierced through his sternum, a notable change from his previous appearance, and remarkably similar to the gaping wound in one of his companions. Being stabbed with the artefact in this way appears to be key in unlocking telekinetic powers much like how the Dagger of Xian turns you into a Dragon, as he makes the ground shake and pulls down two heavy pillars before floating his giggling arse downstream.

The Artefact, and the Temple.

Figuring out where the Infada Stone was at which points in time is key to piecing together the timeline of events. We can make an educated guess that the resting place of the artefact prior to its discovery was the final room in which you find Tony's fallen companions, it contains a notable dais in the centre of the room, and a plinth in the far end. You arrive there after passing numerous stone guards and traps, this is the most secure place in the temple.

We can also assume that Randy and Rory got to this room before they died. The presence of a massive hole in the chest matching death by Infada Stone in the room that contained the Infada Stone... it's just the simplest explanation.

So they got to the final room, and one of them got stabbed through the chest with the artefact. What happened to the other? I think we can safely assume the statue with massive swords is most likely responsible. There are four point wounds on his torso, similar in location to where it stabs Lara to pick her up, and one massive slash down from his head to his navel.

The Terror of Shiva.

There's another layer of horror to Randy and Rory's deaths, the precise way they are positioned. They are both hovering in the air, but in very different ways. The one with the gaping hole in his chest appears to be hanging in the air, arms stretched up as though crucified, positioned directly above the dais and shining in a beacon of sunlight illuminating the centre of the dark room. When you enter the room, it's the first thing you see, drawing your attention to the middle of the room to notice the illuminated figure of the other man hanging behind him in the darkness slightly to the left. What's even more troubling is what this does, draw your attention away from the right where the statue is as you enter the room. It's a trap!

Who set it?

There are really only two possibilities, Tony strung them up, or the Shiva that killed at least one of them did.

Tony has to have been stabbed with the stone after his companion, as while he can live with it in his chest, we can assume removing it to leave that much missing flesh would not end well and would be the same for anyone. Therefore he appears to have snuck in the 'back door' and nabbed the artefact after the Shiva attacked Randy and Rory, but before Lara got there, cheeky sod.

So who strung them up? We can't really tell for sure. The Shiva could have set the trap to catch further intruders if it killed both of them, or perhaps Tony set up a horrific trap for Lara.

The Shiva definitely killed one, but who killed the other?

If Tony did kill someone, it would have to be his still alive but artefact possessed companion. Which would mean he would have survived being attacked by the Shiva while his friend was slashed, then would have to stay in that room with the Shiva until Tony got there. Unless the artefact lets you control the Shivas, Tony would have had to get there right when Randy and Rory were being attacked. Then Tony would have to leave with enough time for the Shiva to get bored of chasing him, make a horrific display of his friends, and return to stone in just the right place before Lara gets there. But Lara is actually hot on Tony's heels as when she leaves the temple he's only just setting off downstream, there just isn't time for that to have happened.

Can you control the Shivas?

This would prove definitively one way or the other who killed the man with the hole in his chest. Unfortunately there's no evidence one way or the other in the game, as it simply doesn't depict this scenario. However we should note that we are witnessing them becoming active after the artefact has potentially been disturbed by Tony's friends.

If the Infada Stone allows you to control them, then he could have kept it from attacking him until Tony got there. But then an insane but human Tony would have to have had to overpower a superpowered man with a pet Shiva, even Lara has trouble taking those down individually. Do you think he could?

If you cant control them, then either Tony's friend ran around and around in circles ala. Life of Brian until Tony got there and killed him. Or the Shiva killed both Randy and Rory, then strung them up. Tony was either fortunate enough to not wake the Shiva when he snuck in the back and stole the artefact, or he did wake it and that was the moment he stabbed himself so he could escape.

Tony 'the liar's Testimony

It wouldn't be fair to let this possibility go unexamined. If Tony were lying to Lara at the campsite and he knew what had happened to them, it would mean he returned to camp after killing them, and therefore he had the artefact the whole time. Quite a slap in the face to Lara and a good explanation for his out of the box madness. It also would give the Shiva enough time to set up the corpses and turn back to stone. Solving problems left and right... but then we come to a big one.

If he did have the artefact the whole time, why does he return to the temple when his entire goal was to get the hell out of there? It can't be to do with Lara as he's taken by surprise when she shoots at him. He just doesn't have a reason to be there right then if that isn't when he picked up the artefact.

Jungle Fever, prepare the Tinfoil

Tony describes voices. Hearing and seeing hundreds of different people all chattering away. We can assume this is because of his proximity to the Temple. I have an interesting idea, the voices were coming from the artefact, and Lara heard them in Antarctica.

The point was made earlier that the monkeys near the temple are aggressive while the ones further away are not, and stone statues don't come to life by themselves. The Infada Stone is affecting the surrounding area. If one of the artefacts powers is to remember what it hears as Willard's display in Antarctica showed, then it isn't unreasonable to assume that's what Tony was hearing if his madness was artefact induced. This would easily explain how he found the back entrance of the temple in the middle of the jungle, he was drawn to the stone in his madness.

This is obviously far more in depth thinking about little details and circumstantial evidence than I think even the designers considered, but it's nice to analyse this stuff and piece together the story from what's actually in the game.

Last edited by Boobandie; 26-09-19 at 20:47.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote