Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 29-11-20, 21:35   #3781
Chamayoo

This new Dalek episode seems infinitly more interesting than the last one (not hard anyway).
Well there's that prison and Jack at the same time. It seems promising.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 03:15   #3782
jajay119

I'm surprised there's been no talk of the new special. I guess others were equally as unimpressed? I thought it was ok. Wrapped up a bit too quick and no real purpose to have Jack there others than to potentially boost viewership with a character they knew people love. The entire premise of the episode was flawed to me in that I don't believe the doctor would have left that dalek shell lying round for anyone and everyone to find buy hey ho.

In other news, newspapers are reporting Jodie has resigned from the show and the next season will be her last. I've warmed to her a bit but I wouldn't say ill be sad to see her go. Just as I wasn't with Capaldi. I just hope that this time they're really rigorous with the selection process to get someone who can put a new spin on the character and not just to fill quotas which I feel Jodie was ans an easy choice for Chibnall at that. Jo Martin was much better in her short time in the role.

Also, John Bishop is the next companion with Yaz.

Last edited by jajay119; 04-01-21 at 03:17.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 08:42   #3783
Tombraider95

Yeah it was... okay. Better than most of Series 12, but not that great either. Ratings also made it the worst holiday special ever. ITV Evening News even beat it. I don't really wanna ramble on so here's some quick thoughts...

Jack was awesome
I thought Jodie was going to be in prison for much longer. Breaking her out seemed too quick and easy. No Judoon at all?
The companions being pissed they waited 11 months and didn't care about her being in prison was weird. They really held a grudge against her for no good reason.
Yaz in love with the doctor isn't subtle at all. I don't understand why because The doctor doesn't have chemisty with anyone atm, not even Jack.
Jack and Yaz scenes were good.
The Dalek latching onto the person was just a repeat of Resolution.
The prime minister getting killed on live tv was hilarious. No one cared.
Ryan and Graham leaving had no impact on me whatsoever.
I don't care if Ryan and Graham are gonna solve mysterious together in Korea. They're 2 boring characters. Please never return.
I'm all for John Bishop joining, but if the writing/acting doesn't improve he's going to be wasted, so I'm not particularly excited atm.
Jack seeing Gwen and staying on Earth really makes me hope for a Torchwood return. If only RTD would be in charge of it again.

If Jodie is leaving the problem still isn't gone. Chibnall needs to leave too but I'm sure he won't. It's a shame as Jodie could have been much better, given the right direction and script. But tbh I think I preferred that Ruth Female Doctor to 13.

The 14th Doctor for Season 14 does sound good though. If it was a new showrunner it might be worth watching. But who's gonna jump in Jodie's grave Chibnall has dug for her? Who wants to be playing The Doctor if the show was to get canceled because of the dropping ratings? I wouldn't.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 04-01-21 at 08:43.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 12:13   #3784
jajay119

I hope the BBC has the good sense to ask Chibnall to stand down. The combination of the poor reception to the timeless child story and the constantly dropping viewing figures it makes sense for them to step in after the next series. There is no point in continuing on till the show hits rock bottom when it could be fixed now.

Also, the BBC have today 'refused to comment on the rumours that Jodie is leaving'. So its true.

Last edited by jajay119; 04-01-21 at 12:28.
Old 04-01-21, 14:01   #3785
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I hope the BBC has the good sense to ask Chibnall to stand down. The combination of the poor reception to the timeless child story and the constantly dropping viewing figures it makes sense for them to step in after the next series. There is no point in continuing on till the show hits rock bottom when it could be fixed now.

Also, the BBC have today 'refused to comment on the rumours that Jodie is leaving'. So its true.
It's the BBC so of course they won't ask him to step down as they seem to have no sense of reality. I find it funny some people are actually saying the viewing figures are "strong" and blaming the fall on streaming services. Sorry but the UK was in lockdown and people still didn't watch it. It's dramatically dropped since Chibnall took over. Streaming services existed in 2017 yet that Christmas Special managed 8 million.

And yeah the fact the BBC won't comment makes it seem true. I'm not surprised though.
Old 04-01-21, 16:42   #3786
Zelda master

The episode was outright boring, terribly paced and pulled so much out of its rear that it's crazy no one told Chibbs that the script was terrible. How does one show thousands and thousands of Dalek of two different kinds, and not have a huge battle between them? It came down to seven of each, and that was it. It boggles my mind how terrible this was handled.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 17:01   #3787
Chamayoo

It was ok, could be better. It was kinda interesting with some big events (Jack's real return, companions departure...) but was kinda... predictable and a bit conventional. Like TR'95, I thought the prison escape would have been more impressive and the departure of Graham and Ryan more impactful. It was subtle and bittersweet but... I didn't feel anything unfortunately.
Also the Doctor should have tell her friends that she was in prison for decades, instead of mowning to not be in time for them... It makes her guilty for nothing and makes Yaz unintentionally ungrateful. However I could understand decades for the Doctor could be fast and she totally understands that 10 months for humans is a lot.

I'm looking forward for Dan. If I understand correctly, John Bishop is another famous actor/animator/humourist like Bradley Wash ? Also his character is a middle age man in modern England. At first look it seems like a Graham 2.0 but I don't know the actor. Bishop could have a totally different acting and his character a different personality. Time will tell.

About Jodie to be leaving, I was hoping for her to break the rule but oh well ! I hope it will be a good opportunity for Chibnall to reinvent himself, but maybe not !

Last edited by Chamayoo; 04-01-21 at 17:02.
Old 04-01-21, 17:09   #3788
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
I'm looking forward for Dan. If I understand correctly, John Bishop is another famous actor/animator/humourist like Bradley Wash ? Also his character is a middle age man in modern England. At first look it seems like a Graham 2.0 but I don't know the actor. Bishop could have a totally different acting and his character a different personality. Time will tell.
I only know him as a comedian with a very strong northern accent. I didn't realise he had done some acting but apparently he was good? I haven't seen it so I don't know. I'm hoping his acting will be better than Bradley Walsh's anyway, but if he gets a bad script and no development then it'll be a waste.
Old 04-01-21, 17:29   #3789
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I only know him as a comedian with a very strong northern accent. I didn't realise he had done some acting but apparently he was good? I haven't seen it so I don't know. I'm hoping his acting will be better than Bradley Walsh's anyway, but if he gets a bad script and no development then it'll be a waste.
Now thinking of it, Billie Piper was good and before Doctor Who she was only seen as a teen popstar.
Old 04-01-21, 17:32   #3790
jajay119

Amelia Pond waited 12 years and didn't seem to hold a grudge for as long as Yaz and Ryan. Like, sit down, please

I dont know what that scene was meant to achieve but it made me dislike them a bit.

Also, I'm going to give John the benefit of the doubt. I was very dubious of Catherine Tate at first but Donna Noble was, and I dont mean to be dramatic, one of the best things to happen to the series.