Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 05-05-20, 16:13   #161
Mek

For me, controls weren't that bad, but they weren't perfect either. I perceive them as a minor disadvantage of Anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968
I remember having a lot of inaccuracies with my jumping and running. I recall having particular difficult with the swinging and running along walls, etc.
I understand what you mean by the inaccuraties of movement and difficulties with swinging. Yes, it is true. In fact, you cannot make a precise jump in Anniversary. Every jump depends on the nearness of an edge that Lara can use for climbing. If such an edge is above Lara and you press the jump button, she will make a proper jump and grab the edge. However, if you press the same button without such an edge above her, she will make a tiny jump like she couldn't rise which looks ridiculously. The level of simplifications in the game is sometimes absurd and it is probably the root of its bad design.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 20:47   #162
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoshi Croft View Post
The grapple was an absolute disgrace. Traversing up the tower at the end was painful. Also, frustrating because it wasn't the players fault but poor game design.
I remember having real trouble in Atlantis (I think it might be called "The Great Pyramid" in Anniversary) and also one of the Khamoon levels, though I can't remember which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
I understand what you mean by the inaccuraties of movement and difficulties with swinging. Yes, it is true. In fact, you cannot make a precise jump in Anniversary. Every jump depends on the nearness of an edge that Lara can use for climbing. If such an edge is above Lara and you press the jump button, she will make a proper jump and grab the edge. However, if you press the same button without such an edge above her, she will make a tiny jump like she couldn't rise which looks ridiculously. The level of simplifications in the game is sometimes absurd and it is probably the root of its bad design.
The issues with jumping and general movements wasn't excusive to Anniversary; I had the same sorts of problems in Legend and AOD.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 21:21   #163
Mek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968
The issues with jumping and general movements wasn't excusive to Anniversary; I had the same sorts of problems in Legend and AOD.
Controls in Legend were slightly simpler than in Anniversary (lack of running along the walls), but overall they were similar. They rather fit the gameplay of Legend and didn't hinder it. In case of that game, I wouldn't consider them a disadvantage.

As regards The Angel of Darkness, the controls were the worst of all Tomb Raider games. I think they constituted a major flaw of TAOD.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 07:57   #164
Maser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
Dunno about stupidly hard, but I will admit that sequence really smacks of "Everyone who plays this game has definitely beaten TR1, so let's keep 'em on their toes!"
That may be true, but from my own experience with people I know online and in real life, most of them played the 2nd game before the 1st. In my case I played them both during the same time.
Maser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 09:38   #165
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maser View Post
That may be true, but from my own experience with people I know online and in real life, most of them played the 2nd game before the 1st. In my case I played them both during the same time.
I played TR1 before TR2.

Although I definitely didn't play the entire series in order; I think I played TR3 before TR2, and played Chronicles before Last Revelation. In fact, I haven't even played the entire series, since I've only played up to Underworld.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote