www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 07-02-18, 08:57   #11
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

You can also interpret the upgrades then as maybe "confidence" upgrades instead of actual physical upgrades.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 15:45   #12
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
You can also interpret the upgrades then as maybe "confidence" upgrades instead of actual physical upgrades.
Truee.

My biggest pet peeve about AOD is that we don't get to play it enough.

Imagine playing as AOD Lara through more elaborate cassic-type levels. Where you may more sprint leaps, and climb more elaborate structures.

The climbing in AOD, at least conceptually, is such a logical expansion of Tomb Raider's climbing.

Now that we've got animations being extracted from AOD, it will be nice to eventually play custom stuff with AOD mechanics.
Old 07-02-18, 16:12   #13
strawberry22
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Truee.

My biggest pet peeve about AOD is that we don't get to play it enough.

Imagine playing as AOD Lara through more elaborate cassic-type levels. Where you may more sprint leaps, and climb more elaborate structures.

The climbing in AOD, at least conceptually, is such a logical expansion of Tomb Raider's climbing.

Now that we've got animations being extracted from AOD, it will be nice to eventually play custom stuff with AOD mechanics.
Well, this was CORE's intention after all before the plans and ultimately the entire game ended up being rushed and flopped overall On the topic of events between TR4-AOD though, even with the new information that got released quite recently I still don't feel satisfied with the story. Like, I wanna still know more about what was going on with Lara inbetween that time. All we really can do is guess.
Old 07-02-18, 18:32   #14
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I'd just like to point out that if TRAOD was not TRAOD, but a Lara Croft spin-off, then we probably would have never got anything like TRAOD, but a completely different game. It was pretty early on when decided that next Lara Croft game should be TR, before even Core started thinking about storyline. TR Chronicles gallery already shows TRAOD and TRC was released in 2000, meaning that Murti's storyline was already used even before TRC team was merged with TRAOD team.

Last edited by Caesum; 07-02-18 at 18:33.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 22:59   #15
HarleyCroft
Explorer

I sometimes wondered if some of the jumping upgrades were because Lara was unconfident about her skills at jumping didn't want to fall short and splatter to the ground

Do you all think the games would be different if it was Lara Croft: AoD? I think it would be awesome! The platforming and climbing would be similar to the classic games, only now it's used to cross urban places like clubs and graveyards in interesting ways. Lara finds undiscovered and restricted areas smack dab in the middle of urban environments, even the one real tomb she raids was underneath Paris! I don't require her to be in jungles or deserts or anywhere as secluded as long as we can use her skills to find the treasure.

It was fun finding places like Vasily's vast library and a freaky Bio-dome, even if they weren't technically tombs. If the game was named City Raider, we would still be going to secluded and mysterious places using her ambiguous morality and skills at exploring

Margot calls the cops? BOOM- break into her office!
Bouchard being evasive? Lara's killing his men, smashing into his hideout and stealing poor Arnaud's medipack!
Don't mind Lara, she's just blowing a hole in the Louvre wall so she can steal from a ghost and flood a huge cavern underneath France!

From what I gather, when she finally got her own self-titled spinoff series, it's still spending time in natural, ancient environments and while the combat is much different, she's still solving puzzles in tomb-ish environments. What's the point of renaming it then?

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 07-02-18 at 23:02.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-18, 00:58   #16
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
From what I gather, when she finally got her own self-titled spinoff series, it's still spending time in natural, ancient environments and while the combat is much different, she's still solving puzzles in tomb-ish environments. What's the point of renaming it then?
Because the definition of Tomb Raider does not lay only in the subject matter of the game, but also within the systems. There is a mechanical reality there, supporting the cohesive, immersive relationship between the player and the Tomb Raider world. And, when dramatically contradicted, just like story, it would be very discordant for many people.

I agree though. For a spin-off series, they are almost more traditional Tomb Raider titles than what is now considered as the main series.
Old 15-02-18, 17:31   #17
Jorje Croft
Professor

I would debate more about changing faces into every new game, I don't see any weight differences, its just more polygons and updated graphics. Lara never had realistic features before reboot.
Old 25-02-18, 00:27   #18
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Croft View Post
I would debate more about changing faces into every new game, I don't see any weight differences, its just more polygons and updated graphics. Lara never had realistic features before reboot.
Lara's face is really consistent between TR1-5 though.

There seems to be some changes to the face in AOD, however it is not as dramatic.

Mostly, it is her body which is much thicker from the side, and her head which has been shrunk dramatically.

I would say in the case of TRL-TRU they brought the actual Lara Croft face to the edge of realism, and made it plausible.

Whatever they did in the 2013-Rise games is probably over-kill.

-----------------------------------------------------

I viewed some images of Von Croy on google, to my eyes, he is mostly the same proportionality, face-wise. I am unsure of his body changes:

IDK what the deal is.

I assume this guy is just as much an exaggeration (at least facially) as Lara is:

Of course Jean Yves is actually based off of a real human person:

... his portrayal seems somewhat exaggerated... or is it just a case of inaccuracy?

anyways, here's Lara's cartoony self. I stole these images from the Core Design website.