www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 19-02-18, 11:30   #1
tenthavenue
Hobbyist

Default What did Eckhardt mean?

I don't know if this has been discussed before, I was wondering who Eckhardt referred to when he said "I hunted down and killed the last of the Lux Veritatis" before we fought him.

According to Murti's files, Kurtis wasn't dead, and even if he was, how could Eckhardt know he was "dead" if he was preparing to awaken the Sleeper while Kurtis and Boaz were fighting? Or was he talking about Mathias Vasiley, who was also a Lux Veritatis?
tenthavenue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-18, 17:51   #2
Potkanka
Historian

I think he thought Kurtis as good as dead. Or it might've been just an intimidation tactic. It sounded better than "The last of the Lux Veritatis is probably going to die soon, or maybe he already did, not sure yet, gonna check later."

Also there's still Morgau (the creators didn't know there'd be no sequel yet when they made this dialogue), but again, Eckhardt would hardly reveal that information.

Or maybe he thought Kurtis hasn't been fully trained and therefore Konstantine was the last "proper" Lux Veritatis, while Mathias wasn't a member of the Order by the time of his death, so also not a "proper" LV.

Hmm... did Eckhardt even know Mathias was LV? That's soemthing I never thought about before... But I guess Mathias would use all powers he could in his last battle, unless Ecky surprised him.
Old 19-02-18, 18:16   #3
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I don't think Eckhardt would say "I hunted and imprisoned Kurtis, lol". Hunted and killed sounds more sinister. Also "last" may mean more than one person, so the last few people left for example. In this case it would mean Matthias, Kurtis' father and other people who were recently killed by Eckhardt since 1940's.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-18, 18:24   #4
Potkanka
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Also "last" may mean more than one person, so the last few people left for example.
Oh that's a very good point!
Old 19-02-18, 18:29   #5
tenthavenue
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potkanka View Post
Also there's still Morgau (the creators didn't know there'd be no sequel yet when they made this dialogue), but again, Eckhardt would hardly reveal that information.
Yeah, I thought about Morgau too, I mean, Eckhardt definitely knows about Morgau, so it'd be stupid for him to make that comment I guess it's either an intimidation tactic, or he doesn't consider Morgau to be a proper LV because her lack of training and the experiments he did on her, another AOD mystery to be solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I don't think Eckhardt would say "I hunted and imprisoned Kurtis, lol". Hunted and killed sounds more sinister. Also "last" may mean more than one person, so the last few people left for example. In this case it would mean Matthias, Kurtis' father and other people who were recently killed by Eckhardt since 1940's.
That could be the case too, but I doubt he meant more than one people, who knows, though
Old 20-02-18, 08:57   #6
Zreen001
Professor

I had always assumed Eckhardt meant Kurtis's father, considering Kurtis left the Lux Veritatus at an early age (like Desmond and the Assassins) and only recently took up the mantle of his father with various powers and use of ancient artifacts (while still not technically part of the Lux Veritatus)
Old 20-02-18, 10:36   #7
tenthavenue
Hobbyist

It sounded like he “killed” the last LV recently, so I doubt he meant Kurtis’ father. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he was talking about Kurtis. Maybe he thought Kurtis had no chance with Boaz?
Old 20-02-18, 18:15   #8
Caesum
Tomb Raider

According to Murti's storyline Kurtis was injured by Boaz and then taken hostage to Castle Kriegler, so I doubt it.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 20:37   #9
tenthavenue
Hobbyist

Okay so I was watching AOD cutscenes again (it's been 15 years and I'm still watching them, yes )

And in the cutscene where Kurtis comes back to the airlock to let Lara out, he says "Two of them were entrusted to my father. Eckhardt murdered him to stop them passing into my hands. He failed." about the shards.

Didn't Eckhardt kill the LV members because of the war/revenge on what they did to him/they could kill him? Why would he kill Konstantin to stop the shards from passing into Kurtis' hands when he wasn't involved in the fight at all?

Plus, there's also this part;

K: That Paintings must be destroyed and to do that I need the Shard you picked up at the Louvre.

... (Lara throws her shard to Kurtis somewhere between their convo)

L: We can divide the forces against us if we split up. You need the third Shard so you should go after that. I’ll find the last Painting and destroy it.

How was she planning on destroying the painting without the shard? So many questionsss
Old 21-02-18, 00:53   #10
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthavenue View Post
Okay so I was watching AOD cutscenes again (it's been 15 years and I'm still watching them, yes )

And in the cutscene where Kurtis comes back to the airlock to let Lara out, he says "Two of them were entrusted to my father. Eckhardt murdered him to stop them passing into my hands. He failed." about the shards.

Didn't Eckhardt kill the LV members because of the war/revenge on what they did to him/they could kill him? Why would he kill Konstantin to stop the shards from passing into Kurtis' hands when he wasn't involved in the fight at all?

Plus, there's also this part;

K: That Paintings must be destroyed and to do that I need the Shard you picked up at the Louvre.

... (Lara throws her shard to Kurtis somewhere between their convo)

L: We can divide the forces against us if we split up. You need the third Shard so you should go after that. I’ll find the last Painting and destroy it.

How was she planning on destroying the painting without the shard? So many questionsss
Ahh another plot hole to add to the massive list in AOD.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote