www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old Today, 00:51   #16411
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

I'm so glad they didn't go with killing Lara, sacrificing herself for the world. It's too much of a hero angle. If they ever decide to kill her off, they better do so with her doing something she loves for her own thrill, not to save people.
Old Today, 01:02   #16412
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
^ So the Reboot was already planned before TRU was even released. lol.
Explains a lot in regards to Underworld's execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I'm so glad they didn't go with killing Lara, sacrificing herself for the world. It's too much of a hero angle. If they ever decide to kill her off, they better do so with her doing something she loves for her own thrill, not to save people.
Agreed. I don't even think she'd go out in a big way. I always liked the idea that she would die in some random tomb on a random adventure, doing what she loved.
Old Today, 01:20   #16413
trfan16
Archaeologist

I remember being so hyped for Underworld after playing Legends. At the time, I liked how Legends ended on a cliffhanger and was really looking forward to eventually visiting Avalon in Underworld. I was disappointed to find out that they threw out the Avalon storyline after the first level of the game. I actually do like the Norse Mythology storyline in this game. It probably would've worked better as a standalone adventure similar to the Classic games. And without all the mom and pop drama too.

Aside from the storyline, I found the game to be the most forgettable in the series. I can remember plenty of things from other TR game, but the only memorable moments for me were Thailand and entering Helheim. The game also didn't really fix some of the problems from Legends either. This game being very short is probably it's biggest weakness. I swear I blinked once and I'm already at the Adriatic Sea. I also didn't find the cast of characters to be memorable either, unlike TRL.

The globetrotting was also a downgrade from TRL. TRL had Lara enter a wide variety of locations - Bolivia (temple ruins), Peru (town/desert/temple ruins), Japan (Urban), etc. In Underworld, it seems that the only color scheme that exists are different shades of gray.

Overall, Underworld ranks towards the bottom of my list when it comes to the TR series. The only games that rank lower are Chronicles and AOD.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:39   #16414
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

I personally felt like Underworld was a huge upgrade from Legend. While Legend still had globetrotting and such, it overall was the most linear and easy game of the entire series. No exploration opportunities or clever puzzles, it was all so watered down, albeit in a shiny and highly stylish package.

Underworld finally started to feel like Tomb Raider again, Lara was a bit more like her classic self in personality, she retained the wit and sass from Legend Lara but was stronger and more intimidating, less reliant on Zip and Alister too. Regarding gameplay, the added movesets and more in-depth puzzles were definitely an improvement. But overall it didn't quite hit the mark, it was too little too late to fix things. It's like they tried to appease classic fans but only halfway. They should have taken it further. But even so, Underworld was definitely an improvement in my eyes.
Old Today, 03:22   #16415
Lyle Croft
Professor

A Legend/Anniversary/Underworld skin with the original models but with a higher polycount and higher resolution textures on par with Rise/Shadow textures and tress fx....

as a dlc plz
Old Today, 06:06   #16416
Chamayoo
Professor

I wholeheartedly agree with Grimaldi.
And also with Yeauleaux and Melonie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
^ So the Reboot was already planned before TRU was even released. lol.
The next game of course was already planned as always, but I wouldn't say "reboot". It was TR Ascension at the time, with still a mature Lara (maybe a sequel to TRU).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
Aside from the storyline, I found the game to be the most forgettable in the series. I can remember plenty of things from other TR game, but the only memorable moments for me were Thailand and entering Helheim.
I disagree.
Burning Croft Manor, the view of the Mediterranean sea, the sinking ship, the first time you use the power of the gauntlet, the ride to enter Xibalba, the giant swinging hammers, the eye-tiring eitr... I find many memorable moments.
But that is the case for me, of course I don't contest your sentiment about the game.

Last edited by Chamayoo; Today at 06:19.
Chamayoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:30   #16417
ActuallyArlow
Explorer

I forget which comic, but Lara was in an Egyptian purgatory because she was technically dead. She had a line that stuck with me, something along the lines of "I wish I died wearing my shades".
Old Today, 09:23   #16418
Rai

I wrote a story years back where Lara purposely went back to Palace Midas and stepped on his hand to become a golden statue, which was found by archaeologists and she and her belongings become museum exhibits.
Old Today, 09:25   #16419
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I wrote a story years back where Lara purposely went back to Palace Midas and stepped on his hand to become a golden statue, which was found by archaeologists and she and her belongings become museum exhibits.
Was the idea to immortalise herself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I'll be honest, I feel like they pretty much went with her sacrificing herself anyway. I don't believe Lara knew exactly what would happen and she may of actually believed she was sacrificing herself.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; Today at 09:27.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote