Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 21-05-15, 21:12   #491
Titak

I know all that, LevelNextGen.
The room that has that many vertices has already been split and reduced to a safe size.

My level is crashing after simply extracting it with Meta2TR, reducing vertices in the two rooms where it exceeds the limit and rebuilding the level with Meta2TR.
So, back to the drawing board on this one...
Making a good new start here, after not having used Meta2TR in over half a year.

The report.txt lists the total number of vertices in the level:
The total number of room vertices in the level is 191767.
Is there a limit to this and if so, what is the limit?

Also, I opted for one bmp tile per object when extracting the level.
Is that a wise thing to do when a level is already pretty stuffed to begin with?
Or is it best to extract it the old way, with the textures sort of randomly scattered over a lot less bmp tiles?
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-15, 22:01   #492
tomb2player

I heard that global vertices limit per level is something like 180000... so 190000 could be too much. Do you have any problems with level with this amount of vertices?

About texture sorting option, only thing I am sure about it is that it can drastically increase tex infos and textures itself in level.

EDIT: I just found old conversation archive and that limit is more or less 150000 vertices per level. But maybe with new versions of TRNG something has changed in this case and this limit has been enlarged, I really don't know.

Last edited by tomb2player; 21-05-15 at 22:06.
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-15, 22:32   #493
Joey79100

There' a TRNG command I think, maybe a CUST_ constant, that increases the limit of textures in the TR4 file to 32768. Maybe..?
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-15, 02:05   #494
kaufi-lc

This one?

SET_ACCEPT_EXTRA_TAILINFOS

Used in Settings= command.
This setting forces trng engine to accept upto 32767 tail infos in the tr4 files.
Also using this setting the limit for ngle remains the old limit of 1024 tail infos, therefore the only reason to use this setting is when you use the program meta2tr to replace the room meshes directly in tr4 file.
Since meta2tr increases the number of tail infos you can use this setting to support the new extra tail infos.
Differently when you use the tr4 creadted by ng_tom2pc without changing, this setting is futile and probably also dangerous since it could create some trouble with animated range textures.
kaufi-lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-15, 07:11   #495
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
There' a TRNG command I think, maybe a CUST_ constant, that increases the limit of textures in the TR4 file to 32768. Maybe..?
Already using it. It's not the textures that've hit a limit here.
At least not that 32768 limit.

Hmmm... I'll have to merge less objects then to see if that solves anything.
The amount of vertices could very well be the issue here.

Does anyone know if vertices from non-merged objects are also counted?

Good thing I started with this level, the largest one in this levelset so far.
Old 22-05-15, 12:59   #496
tomb2player

This more or less 150000 vertex limit per level is global, which means everything - level mesh, all objects from WAD.

Can you tell what problems exactly you have with your level? It crashes to windows or something different...?
Old 26-05-15, 11:33   #497
Titak

It simply crashed to the desktop when loading.

Anyway, I've reduced the amount of vertices considerably (it is below 140000 now) and now it is working.

I've also unpacked the level with Meta2TR again, leaving some objects out of the merging process and not regrouping the textures.
This reduced the number of texture info's in the level, as well as the amount of vertices, which made it easier for me to get below the 150000.
I'll most likely unpack the level again, leaving some more objects out, but I still have to decide which objects.

Last edited by Titak; 26-05-15 at 11:35.
Old 26-05-15, 17:39   #498
tomb2player

It's not matter if you leave some objects not merged or if all are merged - because this vertex limit per level is global as I said before. So level mesh + Every 3D object in WAD affect this limit .

EDIT: When I was merging objects to geometry, I had them "duplicated" as result in game. So new as geometry + old static from WAD. Both were overlapping, placed on the same position. For sure in this case number of vertices is duplicated. So best thing to do in my opinion is going back to room editor after merging operation and delete all old statics. Then you have to update your new room mesh with old one which can be a little time consuming, but it is in my opinion the best method to make sure that there are no "unnecessary garbage" left after merging process

Last edited by tomb2player; 26-05-15 at 17:54.
Old 26-05-15, 19:53   #499
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb2player View Post
It's not matter if you leave some objects not merged or if all are merged - because this vertex limit per level is global as I said before. So level mesh + Every 3D object in WAD affect this limit .
Not sure I agre with this since I had a lot less vertices in the level after NOT merging a couple of objects from the wad.
So not merging objects does reduce the vertice count in the level.
At least that's what the Meta2TR log says.

And they are not duplicated either.
There sure are no two objects in one place here on my end.

The object that is merged into the map is reduced to a single point or very very small face in the static MQO or the moveables.mqo.
Old 26-05-15, 21:11   #500
tomb2player

Meta2TR log says only level mesh vertices, so only geometry, without WAD content

About object duplication after merging, I had this so maybe its just that I was doing something wrong or other way than normal...

Single point or very small face, but still unnecessary garbage

Last edited by tomb2player; 26-05-15 at 21:12.