www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 23-08-19, 00:28   #11241
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

I'm kinda sceptical of the Origin Story thing as well. Although there's for sure a good story to be told, abeven better one could be told about a seasoned Drake who has already faced a lot during his life. But well, lets see where this goes. Having another director leave for sure doesn't help the quality of the movie.
Old 23-08-19, 00:34   #11242
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Tom Holland is not the right person for this role. I'm sure he's lovely but to me he isn't pretty enough or charismatic enough - and that's what Nate is.

Plus if they're doing an origin story, I'd like to see it from when Nate and Sam took off from the orphanage and Tom is way too old to play that age range.
Old 23-08-19, 00:50   #11243
TrustyBow
Professor

It just comes across as weird that they'd wanna do an origin story. Part of Nate's appeal was that we saw him as a badass from the start.

I'm sure part of it is to try to separate him from Indy, but I already feel like Nate is pretty different (and better) than Indy. The theme of the "adventurer/explorer" might be the same but in terms of character, Nate is a lot less patriotic.
Old 24-08-19, 22:09   #11244
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Plus if they're doing an origin story, I'd like to see it from when Nate and Sam took off from the orphanage and Tom is way too old to play that age range.
Not necessarily.
You see, in UC4 Nathan told Elena, after the orphanage they were stealing stuff and taking turns in jail, if they weren't in together.
And then there's UC3, where Nate met Sully for the first time. He was somewhere the age of 14 -17. So the movie could show that time, when Nate started hanging out with Sully and their early adventures. (possibly after the panamaian jail, so Sam could be absent, or just be in a flashback or something.)

Personally, I don't think Tom Holland should play Nathan. Also, somehow I lost interest in the movie, after knowing this is going to be an origin story.
Zsott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-19, 22:32   #11245
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

My point was Tom Holland cannot pass for being a teenager and if they do an origin story that's the time period I'd like to see - like when Nate was about 14/15 when he left the orphanage and met Sully.
Old 27-08-19, 23:00   #11246
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I think he can pass as a teenager quite easily tbh, especially with styling, makeup and computer editing. He's got that very twink-ish kind of look; slim ectomorph build, boyish face, not a single hair on that chin. He's kinda short too.

It actually made him an amazing candidate to play Peter Parker, perfect really, but for Nathan Drake? Ugh idk.

The problem is I just can't see him, considering he's already well into his 20s, growing out of that kind of look any time soon. This is where I agree with this, although I disagree with the wording;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
he isn't pretty enough or charismatic enough - and that's what Nate is.
He's actually too pretty to play Nathan.

Nathan isn't pretty or boyish-looking, he's hot. Rugged, masculine all-American alpha male hot. The kind of hot that suggests the puberty oven had already baked him to perfection by the time he was 20. I cannot picture the Nathan Drake of the Uncharted games having been a geeky-looking twink at 23, it's just not him. It's almost the antithesis of the kinda vibe he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
It just comes across as weird that they'd wanna do an origin story. Part of Nate's appeal was that we saw him as a badass from the start.
Well that was also the case with Lara Croft and look what happened there

I don't know why our current media has an obsession with turning badass, attractive power fantasies into ordinary "relatable" pseudo-deep characters that just look pathetic in comparison.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 27-08-19 at 23:16.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-19, 23:15   #11247
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I like Tom Holland! Iím glad to see someone like me as a Superhero (I guess Iím
Twink-ish? )

But as Nathan? I donít see it.

Unless weíre talking Nate at.. 19? And Sully.. years post UC3 Museum meetup.

Pretty sure they only went with Tom as heís a name that draws in money. Ya gotta get that crowd thatís outside the game fanbase
Old 28-08-19, 01:01   #11248
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Pretty sure they only went with Tom as heís a name that draws in money. Ya gotta get that crowd thatís outside the game fanbase
I think it moreso has to do with Sony trying to make him their poster boy.
Old 28-08-19, 01:28   #11249
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I think it moreso has to do with Sony trying to make him their poster boy.
Bc he nets them a ton of money

Oddly enough, I like Tom Holland but Iíve never seen anything with him in it.
I need to watch Spider-Man
Old 28-08-19, 18:37   #11250
Amunet
Archaeologist

I love Tom Holland, the kid is great, he's amazing as Peter Parker / Spider-Man, but I agree he isn't really the best choice to play Nate. I think he can work as the teenage Nate, but if the intention is to carry on with the character, they'll have to recast.

Bt yeah, they shouldn't even be doing this young Nate story anyway.

Personally, I would just cast someone like Oscar Isaac for the role! ^_^