Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Raider Next Generation

Old 20-05-17, 15:37   #71
dcw123

I'd love better lighting effects really. Perhaps that light, sun and shadow bulbs can light ALL objects properly (like the effect you get when using Blinking Light etc)
Everything wouldn't look so flat then
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 09:09   #72
TR-Freak
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
I'd love better lighting effects really. Perhaps that light, sun and shadow bulbs can light ALL objects properly (like the effect you get when using Blinking Light etc)
Everything wouldn't look so flat then
Set your meshes to Moveable instead of Static in STRPIX

However, Moveable Lights only react to the Sun Object and the Room's Ambient Lighting and of course moveable Lights like Flares and Blinking Light Objects, but not Room Lights.

Static Meshes on the other hand can be coloured so you can adjust their appearance to it's surroundings which looks better than having a moveable mesh. It looks better to have a static Mesh in a shadowed area than to have a moveable mesh in a shadowed area because the moveable meshes are affected by the sun Light which looks weird in a shadowed area.
This is also a reason why I set my Pushable Blocks to Static, because I can adjust them to the wall so you can't see them that easily.

Last edited by TR-Freak; 21-05-17 at 09:11.
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-17, 12:58   #73
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post

However, Moveable Lights only react to the Sun Object and the Room's Ambient Lighting and of course moveable Lights like Flares and Blinking Light Objects, but not Room Lights.

Static Meshes on the other hand can be coloured so you can adjust their appearance to it's surroundings which looks better than having a moveable mesh. It looks better to have a static Mesh in a shadowed area than to have a moveable mesh in a shadowed area because the moveable meshes are affected by the sun Light which looks weird in a shadowed area.
This is also a reason why I set my Pushable Blocks to Static, because I can adjust them to the wall so you can't see them that easily.
LOL I knew that already.

The issue I have is that - if Lara uses a torch item (she'll need it a lot in my game I've made) then having static objects will look bad as they won't react to the torch light.
I'm either gonna try merging the object with the level mesh in Meta or have most rooms feature a blinking light effect.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-17, 10:01   #74
AkyV

Make Diagnostics/log able to print values with the floating point.

--------------
Old animation bugs, but perhaps it is the time to fix them:

a, if Lara is wading in the water, with the water surface at her waist, and then steps for a bit higher place, so she will wade with the water surface at her knees, then she will move as if the surface were still at the waist - except if she is jump up now, getting out of the water for a moment.
b, if Lara is walking down a slope, stopping at the edge, then actually she freezes, eg. if I hit arrows now to make her turn left/right, then she will do that, but without stepping with her feet, so she will only turn around her vertical axis, as a statue.

Last edited by AkyV; 12-08-17 at 12:05.
AkyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-17, 09:01   #75
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
This is a halfbaked feature since it doesn't make your meshes react to all lights, but only to dynamic ones. Because of that unless you put a fire next to an object, it will only use AMBIENT room light and it will look even worse than statics with static lighting.

The thing is TR4 does already support full lighting for meshes, but it works only with movable animated objects like ANIMATING or BADDY slots. It would have been absolutely amazing if TRNG could make an option to use this kind of lighting with STATIC meshes too.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 12:09   #76
Joey79100

Some suggestions, new slots, purely for cosmetic purposes:

LARA_SPEECH_HEAD5
LARA_SPEECH_HEAD6

ACTOR1_SPEECH_HEAD3
ACTOR1_SPEECH_HEAD4

ACTOR2_SPEECH_HEAD3
ACTOR2_SPEECH_HEAD4

ACTOR3_SPEECH_HEAD1
ACTOR3_SPEECH_HEAD2
ACTOR3_SPEECH_HEAD3
ACTOR3_SPEECH_HEAD4

For gameplay purposes this time:

LARA_MESHSWAP1
LARA_MESHSWAP2
LARA_MESHSWAP3
LARA_MESHSWAP4
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 19:14   #77
SrDanielPonces

^ PLEASE

I hate using other animating slots (or whatever slot that have the same use for animatings) for this ****.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 17:22   #78
DJ Full

Paolone. If you're reading this, could you enable auto backup every x changes by default?
It's unbelievable but I meet more and more builders who have no idea this feature exists, and it's crucial...
DJ Full is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 17:36   #79
LGG_PRODUCTION

He took a break, I hope he will continue soon
LGG_PRODUCTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 22:18   #80
Joey79100

Just a totally random idea I got while reading some things in TRosettaStone.

Quote:
3.4.4. TR4 Room Structure
Code:
virtual struct tr4_room  // (variable length)
{
    uint32_t RoomColour;        // In ARGB format!
};
RoomColour replaces AmbientIntensity and AmbientIntensity2 values from [tr2_room] structure. Note it’s not in [tr_colour4] format, because colour order is reversed. It should be treated as ARGB, where A is unused.
"A is unused". As the RoomColour field is uint32_t, it means the whole field is 32 bits, with 8 bits for each colour (0..255). And as the A colour is unused, there are 8 bits empty that can be used for whatever we want.

What came to my mind was the water reflection colour.
These 8 bits could be used for the intensity of the reflection. The higher it is, the brighter the reflection will be. The lower it is, the darker the reflection will be.
  • 0 would just mean default value, this way you can keep the normal reflection when people don't use it.
  • 1 is the darkest value, the reflection is black.
  • 127 is the middle value so it could be used for a completely absent reflection. No need anymore to use a flipeffect to get rid of the reflections, and the possibility to customize the reflection intensity for each room.
  • 255 is the highest value so it means white reflection.

But the real challenge then would be to modify the engine to actually use this, which is another matter.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote