www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 17-06-19, 22:26   #41
b.gluch
Relic Hunter

We don't need Nathan McCree, TR4/5/AOD is proof of that. I would love for Brian D'Oliveira to put his on twist on the classic theme.
Old 17-06-19, 22:27   #42
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

I think it’s just that myself and the other people quoted don’t care and that our problems with the game had nothing to do with the music.
Old 17-06-19, 23:10   #43
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I think there's a clause in commercial music composition where you can use the first seven bars if a song and get away with it without it being copyrighted, this probably explains why we haven't heard anymore than the first four bars of music played since Crystal Dynamics bought the title. Although I believe anniversary included it so maybe they had a rights deal for that or because it was an arrangement of a song it wasn't included.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 17-06-19 at 23:13.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-19, 00:42   #44
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I think there's a clause in commercial music composition where you can use the first seven bars if a song and get away with it without it being copyrighted, this probably explains why we haven't heard anymore than the first four bars of music played since Crystal Dynamics bought the title. Although I believe anniversary included it so maybe they had a rights deal for that or because it was an arrangement of a song it wasn't included.
The rights to the tracks belong to SE, so no problem there. The possible problem here would be the use or Nathan's arrangements for TRS which would be in a weird copyright limbo where the rights to the melodies present in the arrangements would belong to SE themselves, but the right to those specific arrangements belong to Nathan.

It's the same reason why a company cannot use fan art for comercial purposes without the artist's consent: yes they own the rights to the character, but the artist owns the rights to the piece itself.

TL/DR: Copyright laws are weird and convoluted.
Old 18-06-19, 00:42   #45
Ellioft
Professor

I don't think concidering what happened Square/Crystal Dynamics/Meagan Marie wants to hear about Narval Mc Cree anymore.
Old 18-06-19, 01:25   #46
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.gluch View Post
We don't need Nathan McCree, TR4/5/AOD is proof of that. I would love for Brian D'Oliveira to put his on twist on the classic theme.
Brian is an amazing composer, I'd love to see what he could do with a classic inspired score for sure.
Old 18-06-19, 01:38   #47
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

Given what else has transpired recently, this actually sounds very likely.
Old 18-06-19, 03:27   #48
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Boy has a lot and I mean a LOT has transpired while I was away.

I wanted to reply in that thread, but it's closed for reasons and that's fine. All I will say is that I'm sorry for all those effected and I will say that I am so done with so and so. Like, the things that's transpired persay has opened my eyes to things and I can honestly say I can do completely without any TR 1-3 music. Sure there are some iconic classic tunes to them, but after some things have surfaced I cannot in good conscience support them anymore. If CD/EM and Square never wanted to do anything with that music ever again I 100% understand and fully support them in their endeavors.

I also agree with alot of you here in that we don't need that music, TR4-6 had some of the most iconic music to TR ever and I would be more then happy if they at least could take part in something.

Even if not there are many composures with great talent that has made beautiful music and can definitely do Tomb Raider music.

For example the music from LC Go was spot on to the atmosphere and tone of Tomb Raider. I would love for whoever composed that music to make music for main Tomb Raider games going forward. Heck I wouldn't even mind if TR 1-3 remasters replaced Nate's music with something fresh and beautiful like LC Go music.

All in all this situation has woken me up to some things and I fully support whatever CD/EM and Square decide to do going forward in regards to the TR1-3 themes.

Also to the OP that music would have been great in Shadow and I'm glad to learn that my preconceptions were wrong on what maybe to blame for certain things.

All in all this is a sad day for TR franchise as it's just more bad things associated with it, but I'm also happy that people are speaking up and have been heard about what's been going on.

In the mean time, enjoy this meme and I'm happy to be posting again after what feels like ages.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 18-06-19 at 04:18.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-19, 06:34   #49
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I don't doubt this at all, it sounds perfectly plausible to be quite frank. If it is true, it's a huge shame :/
Old 19-06-19, 07:06   #50
Jeff_aod
Student

This sound more than just legit.

And everything lines up with what I have heard about Shadow and future in-dev titles.
Jeff_aod is offline   Reply With Quote