www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 25-11-21, 23:11   #9481
Samz
Relic Hunter

It's almost like this is blatantly dumb PR speak.
I predict we're going to get a "Safe" Lara, one that almost never has her backstory brought up if at all and who is conveniently more of a safe LAU/Survivor Hybrid.

AKA: "Unified" by omission, by never quite going full snark/polite like Classic Lara and never going full Victim (And IMO, bipolar psychopath) like Survivor Lara.

Because trying to have all the adventures happen for one Lara, without heavy rewrites, is literally impossible. (Survivor Lara clearly never having went through Ireland, Amelia needing to somehow be dead in two places at once, Von Croy's entire character literally being replaced with Roth and AOD/TLR losing almost all of the stuff between Von Croy/Lara due to that and Reboot Lara wouldn't go into VCI, at least not without the building literally collapsing and ironically killing far more people considering how she's a walking natural disaster as well as Amanda's entire character also being replaced with Sam.)

That said, I admit they'll probably do it, not because I have faith in TRs writing to do it well, honestly because I think the par for Tomb Raider's writing is low enough at this point (How Rise won a writing award will never make sense to me.) and I can see a bunch of developers thinking this will somehow unite the fans even though people's issues with the newer games is more than just Lara herself.

Last edited by Samz; 25-11-21 at 23:18.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 23:56   #9482
Gian Carlo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
This applies to all eras lol
The first 3 games are fine. We can disregard Chronicles and make some changes about TLR/AoD
Gian Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 09:16   #9483
dg1995
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Carlo View Post
The first 3 games are fine. We can disregard Chronicles and make some changes about TLR/AoD
Chronicles is also fine.

That game also has inconsistencies with TR 1. That can be explained by saying that Winston and his 2 friends greatly overexaggerated Lara's adventures.(Or maybe Lara herself lied them on how those journeys went.)

In the last one Lara kills 2 terminator type robots which is pretty funny.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 10:45   #9484
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
In the last one Lara kills 2 terminator type robots which is pretty funny.
Only if they don't stumble in the pit
Old 26-11-21, 12:35   #9485
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
It would be quite funny if the "hard cuts" CD would make to the timeline would be to remove their own games
As they should, they are the ones who needlessly messed up the timeline in the first place If the lame ass parental drama no one liked hadn't returned in the reboot, the only inconsistencies that would need to be worked out would be young Lara segments, and the can fit if you change one small detail or another.

- Either scrap Lara accompaning Amelia in the plane crash or make it so Lara didn't touch the stones and since inn TRL she kept her eyes closed during Amelia's transportation, it could be easily explained that adult Lara didn't believe the supernatural because the very little she experienced of it before Yamatai she thought was the imagination of a traumatized child trying to make sense of a sudden loss.

- Ireland is quite tricky, and it would either need to be scrapped altogether or changed into something adult Lara experienced. Because the minute you take out the supernatural aspect of it, there really is nothing left. One last minute resort I see is making it so Father Finnigan used the book Lara found to cast a spell on her while she slept when they returned, and she woke up believing it was all a dream, at least this way everything can be left intact.

- Cambodia is quite easy, just make the Iris as either a static artefact (which would explain why Lara didn't believe the supernatural) or have Lara's line sight of it obstructed by something. This can be done with either a big ass rock, one of the globe's arms didn't lower all the way, or the pedestal is meant to be looked at from one side, and Lara is behind it.

Honestly, with a little effort and creativity, pretty much everything can be put in the new main timeline. The biggest inconsistencies is Lara herself as a character, if they didn't mess up her characterization in Rise and Shadow she wouldn't need a personality transplant.
Old 26-11-21, 14:11   #9486
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I honestly wish they wouldn't do this unification thing and just continue reboot Lara's story. Make reboot Lara go on the adventures of the main titles.
Old 26-11-21, 14:25   #9487
Lord Lulu
Archaeologist

As I sit here eating leftover mashed potatoes and turkey, I still think this unified timeline is a bad idea. It would be better to keep all the time lines separate. They could even do games for all three Laras. Could be done in cycles as well. Do a Classic game, then a LAU game then a Survivor game.

Well it's just a thought. And my I keyboard isn't working so well.
Old 26-11-21, 14:34   #9488
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I honestly wish they wouldn't do this unification thing and just continue reboot Lara's story. Make reboot Lara go on the adventures of the main titles.
Yeah, that to me seems like the far simpler method.
Just rework the character a bit and the adventures to fit into the style of the reboot games...and boom.
This unifying thing feels way too complicated thought to me when you dont need it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
As I sit here eating leftover mashed potatoes and turkey, I still think this unified timeline is a bad idea. It would be better to keep all the time lines separate. They could even do games for all three Laras. Could be done in cycles as well. Do a Classic game, then a LAU game then a Survivor game.

Well it's just a thought. And my I keyboard isn't working so well.
They are...this unifying talk is just a very badly worded thing.
Every timeline is still intact, nothing is touched.

They will just create a new one where they just put stuff from the others into to make one big timeline in which parts of all eras form one.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 14:56   #9489
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
But that's kinda exactly what the unification is when you really look at it, just with the added bonus that reboot Lara will finally get the much needed personality transplant she needs.

I mean, in the UT reboot Lara will be present at all times regardless of what happens since those were her first years off being an adventurer, everything else is just what she went through later in her career.

As for canon events conflicting with each other, the reboot will most likely always be the prefered route, being the most recent and "fleshed out" of her backstories while also being the starting point going forward.

If reboot Lara went through the classic adventures in the form of remakes or whatever, changes would still need to be made to fit the rebooted timeline, either because of conflicting backstories (like TR4-5) or because Lara has a completely different atittude and personality and they would have different motivations and perceptions. So no matter what, both timelines and events would need to be altered to some degree.

So either way, remaking the classics with reboot Lara or unifying the timeline, the end result would not be different enough to be opposed to either idea.

Last edited by VictorXD; 26-11-21 at 14:59.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 16:21   #9490
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

The difference is that with the reboot just continuing you don't have to retcon anything. It's easily marketable to the general public.

With this whole unification timeline they want the problem is trying to make things that obviously happened non Canon. How can you say that something isn't Canon when you specifically watch Amelia die in Legend or you see teen Lara in Core games going on adventures.

Would they then be forced to not remaster or port those games because of the inconsistencies in the plot?

It would be much better to just have separate timelines, Core, LAU, and Reboot.

Let TR12 be Reboot 4, if they want to do more classic games then just revive the Lara Croft brand and use that brand to make classic TR games. I don't want to be told that something I see on my screen clearly, didn't actually happen. It just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 26-11-21 at 16:23.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote