www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 25-11-21, 23:49   #371
tomblover
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I think it better shows Lara's eagerness to kind anything, and it gives Jonah more of a personal agency, instead of just mindlessly agreeing with Lara all the time.
Yeah, it's a shame they basically cut this entire subplot.

I definitely think the conflict between Lara and Jonah would've grated on me, especially if the end result was always going to be the same with him inevitably kowtowing to her demands - but Lara being obsessed for her own sake would have been much more interesting than the story we got about her clearing her dad's name, especially with Jonah trying to mediate between her stubbornness vs. the sane thing to do in their situation.

The writing here isn't exactly subtle, but to be fair, it's not subtle in the final game either.
Old 26-11-21, 00:42   #372
biscuits
Relic Hunter

I liked the beta version.
But honestly to this day Jonah as a character makes no sense at all. I get people hate Sam, but she was firmly established as Lara's best friend in the first game. She'd make the most sense to be included as a companion character because like Lara, she also had a first hand experience with the supernatural. They could just have her not be a damsel in distress and just give her like a support or research role or whatever.

The only reason CD chose Jonah as a returning character is because everyone literally hated every single character in the first game but were indifferent to Jonah. So they brought him back. I shall die on this hill
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 01:22   #373
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
The only reason CD chose Jonah as a returning character is because everyone literally hated every single character in the first game but were indifferent to Jonah. So they brought him back. I shall die on this hill
To be fair, Jonah still was the character that made more sense that it would still be willing to go on adventures with Lara from the Yamatai survivors. Even without the Samiko events of the comics, Sam would still probably be too traumatized for it, and after losing Roth and almost never seeing Alisha again, I don't see Reyes leaving her daughter ever again. Hell, even in the comics she only goes back to Yamatai because Alisha made her go. Jonah both doesn't really have anyone else depending on him, and all things considered he probably had one of the tamest Yamatai experiences...

But yeah, he only returned because he was the character people didn't seem to hate
Old 26-11-21, 01:38   #374
.snake.
Archaeologist

You're both definitely right.

I remember the poll that existed after TR2013 as to which character people liked the most, and the poll and thread were basically a discussion of who everyone hated the least. So I assume Crystal looked at that.

But I also could never imagine Sam turning into a hardened adventurer, capable of climbing mountains with Lara. Her entire character in the first game was the helpless damsel-in-distress trope, so if Crystal had ever really wanted her to be Lara's companion the way Jonah ended up being, she would've had to have gone through a major character change.

Off topic, but it's funny to me how Sam, and all the rest of the Endurance, never get any of their clean clothes or hair messed up, torn, or dirtied, meanwhile Lara's covered in blood, mud, and tourniquets one hour into the game.

But let's face it, we know that Jonah (or whoever it would've or could've been) doesn't serve much of a narrative purpose of any kind. He's literally just there so that Lara doesn't speak to herself the entire time. It's just a new take on Zip and Alister.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 02:04   #375
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

This is realistic, she was very assertive here, but that's because she was supposed to be crazy obsessed with proving everything was real. I feel like this dialogue grounds the characters more. They should have kept this.
Old 26-11-21, 02:20   #376
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I can only imagine what we will be seeing for Shadow month if all this stuff was scrapped lol
Old 26-11-21, 02:53   #377
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
I can only imagine what we will be seeing for Shadow month if all this stuff was scrapped lol
Queen Unuratu giving Lara her classic outfit and duals, telling her she must wear that during her entire stay at Paititi, no questions asked.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 04:38   #378
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Queen Unuratu giving Lara her classic outfit and duals, telling her she must wear that during her entire stay at Paititi, no questions asked.
You know what lol? They probably would’ve gave Lara her duals with the Paititi outfit knowing them since the outfit restriction was forced on us. I could not imagine Lara wielding duals with that outfit on lol. It would’ve tickled my spirit. I wish somebody would draw that lol.
Old 26-11-21, 10:45   #379
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

I wonder if they’ll show any video footage of Lara with her braid for Shadow.
Old 26-11-21, 13:09   #380
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I liked the beta version.
But honestly to this day Jonah as a character makes no sense at all. I get people hate Sam, but she was firmly established as Lara's best friend in the first game. She'd make the most sense to be included as a companion character because like Lara, she also had a first hand experience with the supernatural. They could just have her not be a damsel in distress and just give her like a support or research role or whatever.

Well Jonah makes sense narratively as well when you think about he's the only one left with some military training, and him being physically capable as well a big mama bear type character that likes taking care of his friends, he seems like a better fit for adventure than Sam.

I'd still like to see Sam again, she has proven she can be a bad ass as well and her being sorta stranged from Lara could provide some decent dynamic. I'd love for her to be a Amanda type character but less intense, more of a difference of opinion than a rival.