www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 20-11-21, 19:48   #1
Samz
Relic Hunter

Default "Slippery" ledges in TR3.

Anyone else noticed that in TR3 there are "slippery" ledges that Lara will automatically detach from for some reason?

I've noticed this particularly in the Madubu Gorge, where when jumping near the waterfall to the MP5 Clips near the third secret, Lara can jump to and grab the MP5 tiles fine, but if you grab the ledge on the way back she'll automatically detach and fall into the water.

I even had this issue with the Monkey Swinging in that same room, if I got too near the edges, Lara would just detach on her own for some reason resulting in my death.

Is this some weird intentional scripting or some sort of bug?
Old 21-11-21, 07:34   #2
ANoDE
Golden

I remember having encountered something similar - especially her letting go of monkey-bars on her own has cost me many lives.

Personally, I'm inclined to think it's a bug rather than a feature. I'd assume that there are rounding errors in the position calculation leading to this sort of thing.
Pure speculation on my part, though.
Old 21-11-21, 22:23   #3
Uzi master
Relic Hunter

The slippery ledges are intentional, though not exactly explained.

The monkey-swining behavior is also I think intentional. It happens when you try to swing from a tile that is grabbeable to one that isn't; it'll drop you just barely on that tile you can't swing above. This only happens if the ceiling is relatively flat.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 01:11   #4
perryloo
Historian

With monkey swing, if you go too far to the left or right from the route, on a straight or angled section, you can occasionally detach from the route and fall.

TIP: I tend to save (on PC), before starting a monkey swing route, because of this.
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 08:35   #5
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
With monkey swing, if you go too far to the left or right from the route, on a straight or angled section, you can occasionally detach from the route and fall.

TIP: I tend to save (on PC), before starting a monkey swing route, because of this.
Yeah, I do that too. I guess this is one of those things that make the console version that much harder, because you barely have enough save crystals as it is.
Old 22-11-21, 10:01   #6
.snake.
Archaeologist

I just replayed Madubu Gorge and it is definitely a bug because there is no consistency to it.

If it was intentional, then it seems strange that it happens only on certain edges that are often rock textured, but then right next to those very same rock textures, she can hang off of edges with waterfall textures without any problems. So, if it was something intentionally programmed or scripted into the level, you would think it would match how the designer textured the level geometry.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 10:16   #7
Kirishima
Explorer

I thought I was just a terrible player, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that had that issue with Lara "slipping" off that ledge. Made me so mad when it happened.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-21, 06:07   #8
Woops
Archaeologist

it's definitely a bug imo, it's not consistent but it seems to only happen on triangular edges?
Old 26-11-21, 08:22   #9
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
The monkey-swining behavior is also I think intentional. It happens when you try to swing from a tile that is grabbeable to one that isn't; it'll drop you just barely on that tile you can't swing above. This only happens if the ceiling is relatively flat.
No, it is not intentional, it's just badly designed state code. Core dudes forgot to add a check if new Lara's position in next frame has any monkeyswing flag on the block below or not. So when she arrives to a block without monkeyswing, it's already too late to stop her from going there. As you noted, it doesn't occur when she's bordering a block with a large height difference, because height checks are there.

Last edited by Lwmte; 26-11-21 at 08:26.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-21, 19:13   #10
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

these ledges are squares with triangulated floor. it's a bug.