Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 02-09-23, 11:22   #1
straychild

Default Is there a way to insert a *.wad2 file outfit into TR2 and 3?

I've found a nice model of a demake of AOD Lara's denim outfit: https://www.trsearch.org/item/5732

Is there a way to insert it into TR2's levels?

another question:
If I try to import *.3ds files with TRviewer the texturing ais always messed up, I can only use *.trmsh files without problems.. is there a *.trmsh converter tool or something like that?

Last edited by straychild; 02-09-23 at 11:26.
straychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 13:52   #2
Joey79100

WAD2 files are to be used by level builders when creating levels, not modding them.
You might get away with building a custom level (even just a dummy one with one room), and use it to "transfer" the outfit from your compiled custom level to the official level you want to edit, but I have no idea if Tomb Editor generated files are compatible with tools like TRViewer.

Also, as far as I know, *trmsh is a TRViewer specific format so there is probably no other tool that can generate or read it.

I'm not a modder and I've only done a tiny bit of modding a few years back, so take this with a grain of salt.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 17:24   #3
straychild

Thank you Joey79100, that was a good idea and I think it's the way to go! I tried and it kinda worked. She looks alright in the TombEditor, but when I open the level with trviewer, her textures are about 30% messed up unfortunatley... but I am definatley able to export and import certain *.trmsh files of that outfit! Is there a way to retexture *.trmsh files?
I choosed my Tomb Raider 3 game folder as folder location and the tomb3.exe as *.exe in Level Settings is that correct?
Old 03-09-23, 11:11   #4
perryloo

What I would do to get the AOD outfit, is go into TRLE net, and go into search, go to class, and find a REMAKE game of AOD. there are plenty on there, some with the outfit you are looking for.

Once you have the data file, you can then easily transfer the outfit textures to TR1 to TR5, using TR texture tools.

Here is an example game. CharlieSewell-TRAODRevised58, picture below...

perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-23, 00:29   #5
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
What I would do to get the AOD outfit, is go into TRLE net, and go into search, go to class, and find a REMAKE game of AOD. there are plenty on there, some with the outfit you are looking for.

Once you have the data file, you can then easily transfer the outfit textures to TR1 to TR5, using TR texture tools.

Here is an example game. CharlieSewell-TRAODRevised58, picture below...

Decent idea Perryloo!

I'd ensure the level extracted from, the outfit is not a unique one made by the author themselves. Quite unlikely but good idea to be sure first
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-23, 02:03   #6
straychild

Unfortunatley any custom level i try to import with TRviewer either doesn't load with an error message or it will have completley messed up texturing.

The only way that worked so far was the option to import the model in Tomb Editor overwrite true appearance into every possible Lara slot (Lara, pistol animation etc) and save it as *tr2. This way I was able to export every mesh correctly textured except of her waist XD I have to edit the texture of the orginal waist mesh, but that's not the biggest deal... But there were still a lot of mess ups in that file. Maybe I'm not doing it right since I have no real idea how to workwith TE ;')

Last edited by straychild; 07-09-23 at 02:06.
Old 13-09-23, 21:53   #7
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by straychild View Post
Thank you Joey79100, that was a good idea and I think it's the way to go! I tried and it kinda worked. She looks alright in the TombEditor, but when I open the level with trviewer, her textures are about 30% messed up unfortunatley... but I am definatley able to export and import certain *.trmsh files of that outfit! Is there a way to retexture *.trmsh files?
I choosed my Tomb Raider 3 game folder as folder location and the tomb3.exe as *.exe in Level Settings is that correct?
Totally a guess here because I haven't used TRviewer before, but wad2 supports sub-pixel texture coordinates (I think that's what it's called) whereas many older tools do not. That could be why the AOD outfit by Thor2010 has some corrupted textures but the AOD outfit by PoYu (made with older tools and has no sub-pixel texture coordinates) does not.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-23, 11:02   #8
Lwmte

Yes. Sadly old tools were reading and saving level files based on a wrong documentation which did not explain texture coordinate format properly. That's why almost no any other tool can properly open levels generated by TE. Only exception is possibly trview, because it's also constantly updated and is aware of texture coordinate format.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote