www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 11-12-19, 12:11   #11
aquaflute
Archaeologist

I actually really enjoyed Paititi myself, I love some of the hidden passageways, tombs and crypts in the city, and the aspect of seeing an ancient civilization in life really appealed to me. It only got frustrating to me when I got to upper Paititi and the ONLY outfit I can wear is the serpent guard one. I plan to leave the exploration of that region to post game without outfit restriction in my next playthrough.
Old 11-12-19, 13:42   #12
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Because it is, in my opinion, very very poopy.
basically this.

yes it is technically well executed and i really like the jungle/forgotten village surrounding it but that's where it ends kind of lmao.
as others have pointed out the outfit restriction, the terrible pacing, the unbearable amount of forced walking sections, the weapons restriction and the lack of any real gameplay in it bring it down.
Old 11-12-19, 14:04   #13
dg1995
Explorer

Lack of real gameplay ?

It had tons of gameplay there. Exploration,Tombs,Platforming,Shops,Side Quests,Combat,Platforming.

Also slow pacing is the main appeal of video games. If I wanted a fast story, I would have watched a 2 hour movie than playing a 30 hours game.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 14:08   #14
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Story makes zero sense

Break pacing of gameplay

Outfit restriction

Social hubs are a no for TR

Basically a lot. I wrote a very long detailed post about it a while back, I'll probably find it and quote it sometime.
Old 11-12-19, 14:37   #15
frodrigues
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Lack of real gameplay ?

It had tons of gameplay there. Exploration,Tombs,Platforming,Shops,Side Quests,Combat,Platforming.

Also slow pacing is the main appeal of video games. If I wanted a fast story, I would have watched a 2 hour movie than playing a 30 hours game.
But that's when the disconnection happens, because by the time you reach Paititi, the urgency of the story is at its peak. This game moves by the notion that it is a fast story, but the gameplay doesn't follow that notion in Paititi. Tons of things to do, but hardly any of them make sense in the broader context.

Are the side missions optional? I don't think so. They are, in the sense that it's not required to do them to advance the plot, but developers put them there so you can do them, not skip them. And if doing them before advancing breaks the entire flow of the story, then they are misplaced.

I do think that the restrictions are an annoyance, but if the hub was better balanced, it probably wouldn't matter much. The city itself is so rich and full of details, however, you are stuck there for so long doing horrible, HORRIBLE side quests, that the feeling of advancing the plot when the plot should be advancing never comes. They either have to rethink how they do hubs, or how to mix them better with the story they are telling. The other two hubs are perfection, IMO.

Edit: also, that's when the plot completly turns around for the worse, with that huge WTF IS THIS moment with Dr Dominguez being paititian and all.

Last edited by frodrigues; 11-12-19 at 14:39.
frodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 15:34   #16
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

People hate Paititi because its entire segment of the game completely forgets the rest of the story that's been going on throughout the game.

The apocalypse suddenly doesn't seem to really exist anymore, and now we're caught up in some ancient political crap that nobody cares about, and it's also just a Geothermal Valley 2.0 in terms of how much of a collect-a-thon it is. You're also supposed to care about all these random people in Paititi that you couldn't care any less about.

Not to mention how much they hyped it pre-release only to be like it's a completely different game within a game. Paititi's a mess, and not even a hot one tbh,
Old 11-12-19, 16:41   #17
E.Carnby
Archaeologist

Because it is walking simulator :-( Shadow is the third game in a row and is absolutely no challenge for TR players. The whole game is basically a boring tutorial. Think on 1998 and Tomb Raider III on PSX. That was a challenge.
E.Carnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 17:15   #18
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Carnby View Post
Because it is walking simulator :-( Shadow is the third game in a row and is absolutely no challenge for TR players. The whole game is basically a boring tutorial. Think on 1998 and Tomb Raider III on PSX. That was a challenge.
Deadly obsession difficulty is as challenging as TR 3.(Especially if you are playing the game for the first time)

TR games as whole were never that difficult minus some few puzzles.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 17:39   #19
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Deadly obsession difficulty is as challenging as TR 3.(Especially if you are playing the game for the first time)

TR games as whole were never that difficult minus some few puzzles.
Should we take this as a sign that you actually enjoyed Shadow?
Old 11-12-19, 17:46   #20
iWANEX
Golden

People hate Paititi because you can't put Lara in pretty clothes. Period. You might dislike it for some other legitimate reasons, but all the HATE comes from that. I still remember the very first complaints about the hub, and all them were about the outfits, which I felt was pretty shallow initially.

I like Paititi, I think it's an awesome hub with lots of things to do and explore. Technically it's a pretty impressive thing they've accomplished, even if it didn't meet people's expectations in the end.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote