www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 14-01-22, 17:41   #4201
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Which is fair enough too. It made me smile for a second but it doesn't work for everyone.
Old 14-01-22, 18:41   #4202
Amunet
Archaeologist

I think the delivery of the line has a lot to do with it. There's this earnestness in Camilla's delivery that for me, personally, doesn't gel with the intended irony of the script.

Plus, I don't think it comes of naturally. It feels like a line that was forced in there for the sake of it. Like "wink wink look what we did there" and not something organic to to story.
Old 14-01-22, 18:46   #4203
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Like I said, you can tell it was a line designed to be used in a trailer.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 19:13   #4204
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Lol I see people are still mad about the line. The line was meant to be sarcastic but of course if it’s not delivered in a monotone way it’s deemed as horribly written, bad timing, etc. etc.
Old 14-01-22, 19:14   #4205
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I think the delivery of the line has a lot to do with it. There's this earnestness in Camilla's delivery that for me, personally, doesn't gel with the intended irony of the script.

Plus, I don't think it comes of naturally. It feels like a line that was forced in there for the sake of it. Like "wink wink look what we did there" and not something organic to to story.
This is exactly my problem with the line. It just feels forced and hammed up.
Old 14-01-22, 19:36   #4206
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Actually it seems like people are more mad about people disliking the line. god sake

@Amunet. I agree.
Old 14-01-22, 19:41   #4207
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Lol I see people are still mad about the line.
No one is mad about it. People can dislike something without being offended or mad. We're just sharing our opinion about it.
Old 14-01-22, 20:09   #4208
.snake.
Archaeologist

This entire discussion about that one line brings me to an unpopular opinion of my own:

Rhianna Pratchett was a terrible addition to the TR franchise and did a horrible job at writing Lara.

People here will often run to her defense because (supposedly) she didn't get to fully realize what she wanted to with the character (might be a blessing, who knows?) and because she is a woman and was marketed as this profound addition to the TR franchise. Everyone left and right was screaming "Finally a woman is writing Lara Croft's character! How stunning and brave in such a male-dominated industry."

If you want to simp and virtue signal for a talented woman writing Lara's character (as simplistic as it may have been) then praise Vicky Arnold or Susie Hamilton. Not Rhianna Pratchett.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 20:45   #4209
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
This entire discussion about that one line brings me to an unpopular opinion of my own:

Rhianna Pratchett was a terrible addition to the TR franchise and did a horrible job at writing Lara.

People here will often run to her defense because (supposedly) she didn't get to fully realize what she wanted to with the character (might be a blessing, who knows?) and because she is a woman and was marketed as this profound addition to the TR franchise. Everyone left and right was screaming "Finally a woman is writing Lara Croft's character! How stunning and brave in such a male-dominated industry."

If you want to simp and virtue signal for a talented woman writing Lara's character (as simplistic as it may have been) then praise Vicky Arnold or Susie Hamilton. Not Rhianna Pratchett.
While I agree Vicky is light years ahead in terms of writing and putting out quality work, I donít think itís entirely Rihannaís fault or left up to her on how the reboot turned out. Thereís a lot of cooks in that kitchen, itís not just her. Since there was a lot of meddling with her work I donít think itís fair to say itís all her doing when a lot of CD writing for years has been iffy.

If anything Iíd say having Rihanna made the reboot more daring. They did some things I thought were interesting on paper but in execution it kinda fell flat. Iím happy she had input on the series and her take on the character and story surrounding Lara, even if I didnít like it.
Old 14-01-22, 21:07   #4210
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
While I agree Vicky is light years ahead in terms of writing and putting out quality work, I don’t think it’s entirely Rihanna’s fault or left up to her on how the reboot turned out. There’s a lot of cooks in that kitchen, it’s not just her. Since there was a lot of meddling with her work I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s all her doing when a lot of CD writing for years has been iffy.

If anything I’d say having Rihanna made the reboot more daring. They did some things I thought were interesting on paper but in execution it kinda fell flat. I’m happy she had input on the series and her take on the character and story surrounding Lara, even if I didn’t like it.
Right, but how do you know the daring stuff comes from Rhianna? As you said: lots/too many cooks in the kitchen. We only know she potentially wanted to make Lara lesbian, but what other daring stuff did she implement that actually remained in the final version of the reboot? And how much of that stuff are we certain is Rhianna's?

I don't think people do this consciously, but your post is a perfect example of it. When she is attacked, people will use the argument that there were a lot of writers and reasons the Reboot had a bad story. This is done to sort of let her off the hook. However, then when people praise her (without knowing if that random praise-able aspect was actually her idea or someone elses) those same people forget that there were also other writers and devs influencing the story.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote