www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 14-01-22, 08:05   #19161
PinkyPromise
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I do think if things die off then Amazon will want to reboot the franchise in some form anyway because they'll hold the rights and its a big enough title to generate an audience. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
I think this too.

I think they will let the sequel die and Amazon will have their own Tomb Raider movies

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 14-01-22 at 08:07.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 09:49   #19162
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
I think this too.

I think they will let the sequel die and Amazon will have their own Tomb Raider movies
I don't think so
Old 14-01-22, 09:57   #19163
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I don't necessarily think they'll let the sequel die I think if they do make the sequel it will be a bit more in line with what the games are doing and have a continuity were Lara is a bit older and more experienced.

I am really interested to know how the IP rights are going to work, we know that the film rights belong to MGM/GK Films but the animated series rights belong to Netflix.

I wonder if Amazon would have clearence to make their own live action series or if those rights were sold separately.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I just checked Imdb and seen that Eric Yamamoto was added to the film page as Storyboard Artist. I did a search for him online to see what else he had done and it seems he worked for Storyboarding on Lovecraft Country. As well as that his LinkedIn account shows he has been working on an MGM film since October 2021!!!

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 14-01-22 at 10:18.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 10:41   #19164
PinkyPromise
Professor

I don't think they're going to do a live action Tomb Raider TV series. But I do see Amazon making big budget Tomb Raider movies like Netflix has Red Notice or Enola Holmes.

I want the sequel to happen. But I am also realistic. Alicia Vikander has not finished becoming the star that everyone expected (which does not help in financing) and it has been almost 5 years since TR 2018. It is a very late sequel. And that is always bad.

I'll wait to see what happens.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 14-01-22 at 10:43.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 10:46   #19165
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I think they'll soft reboot it and keep Alicia. If they go with a cohesive continuity then a series or film with Hayley Atwell and her voicing the game would be nice.

I would prefer them to keep Alicia though she is the ultimate Lara for me.

I do think given the update to Imdb and it lining up with what the LinkedIn page is saying that they are possibly in pre production.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 14-01-22 at 11:02.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 16:11   #19166
Rai

Hasn't that storyboard person been there for ages though? I didn't look but Art Dept had 1 person listed for a long time. If the name changed, maybe that is a sign.
Old 14-01-22, 16:23   #19167
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Hasn't that storyboard person been there for ages though? I didn't look but Art Dept had 1 person listed for a long time. If the name changed, maybe that is a sign.
It was a different one, who also worked on several Star Wars projects. And that storyboard artist was removed from the IMDB listing a while ago.

This new one was also added quite recently as well, I saw the IMDB page a few days ago and Yamamoto wasn't there. I would behave said something big it was the case...
Old 14-01-22, 18:20   #19168
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
The page hasn't been updated in a while all the other crew were taken down around the time Ben Wheatley left and coincidently they're all now working with him on Meg 2.

This is a new credit and when you search for the person on Google you can see from his LinkedIn page he has been working on an MGM film since October 2021 and worked with Misha before on Lovecradt.
Old 14-01-22, 19:07   #19169
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

MGM dev exec watching this thread throwing us crumbs and we eating it up. So that's very promising. There's still plenty of incentive for AV to keep the role because it's a star vehicle type franchise meaning it lives or dies by casting like Bond which works out for the actor long term compared to something very brand driven like Marvel.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 14-01-22 at 19:13.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 19:14   #19170
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
The page hasn't been updated in a while all the other crew were taken down around the time Ben Wheatley left and coincidently they're all now working with him on Meg 2.

This is a new credit and when you search for the person on Google you can see from his LinkedIn page he has been working on an MGM film since October 2021 and worked with Misha before on Lovecradt.
Yeah, I think I just hadn't actually looked properly and assumed it hadn't changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
MGM dev exec watching this thread throwing us crumbs and we eating it up. So that's very promising.
We're starving, so of course .