Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 23-03-24, 19:43   #1
sphyrch

Default Music issue in menu (Win98 DOS box)

Hi! I'm using an image of original tomb raider in which the image is of bin/cue format. Single cue file and a bunch of bin files. I mounted the cue file with Daemon tools and installed the game without a problem. The sound setup is also perfectly fine (selection of video card and IRQ, DMA, port) - Test sound worked properly.

But when I start the game, the intro logo screens and cutscenes have sound and music, BUT there's no music in the main menu. On youtube I've seen TR playthrough where menu music was playing. So I wanted to ask, has anyone faced this problem and solved it? What should I do to get all sounds including menu music?
sphyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-24, 20:24   #2
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrch View Post
Hi! I'm using an image of original tomb raider in which the image is of bin/cue format. Single cue file and a bunch of bin files.
what's the meaning of a bunch of bin files?
where did you get the image(s) from?

Quote:
I mounted the cue file with Daemon tools and installed the game without a problem. The sound setup is also perfectly fine (selection of video card and IRQ, DMA, port) - Test sound worked properly.
good, still this only shows soundcard emulation is fine
if I were you I'd be always going for an image mounting via or within dosbox as opposed to working with Daemon tools or whatever, especially so using a mixed mode disc as in this case

Quote:
But when I start the game, the intro logo screens and cutscenes have sound and music, BUT there's no music in the main menu.
this makes me doubt that the image has been properly mounted at least as far as cdaudio playing is concerned
cutscenes and ingame soundtracks are differently handled
either something's not quite right in the cue/bin arrangement (reason why I ask where the cue and bin (bin's??) come from)
or at the very least dosbox isn't running the cdaudio emulation correctly (hence question about the mounting syntax used)
or both

I can't specifically tell you what you should do imho for lack of details
since as the installer I made works, soundwise and all, using of course what I see as the one correct procedure, with a few tweaks thrown in, afaict there was a mismatch somewhere between image creating and mounting.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-24, 05:29   #3
sphyrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
what's the meaning of a bunch of bin files?
where did you get the image(s) from?

good, still this only shows soundcard emulation is fine
if I were you I'd be always going for an image mounting via or within dosbox as opposed to working with Daemon tools or whatever, especially so using a mixed mode disc as in this case

this makes me doubt that the image has been properly mounted at least as far as cdaudio playing is concerned
cutscenes and ingame soundtracks are differently handled
either something's not quite right in the cue/bin arrangement (reason why I ask where the cue and bin (bin's??) come from)
or at the very least dosbox isn't running the cdaudio emulation correctly (hence question about the mounting syntax used)
or both

I can't specifically tell you what you should do imho for lack of details
since as the installer I made works, soundwise and all, using of course what I see as the one correct procedure, with a few tweaks thrown in, afaict there was a mismatch somewhere between image creating and mounting.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I should've given more details. I'd downloaded the multiple BIN/single CUE from archive - this is only because I have a Win98 machine and wanted to play TR on that; I own the steam version of TR but that won't run on Win98.

I even had another image of TR that had a single BIN and single CUE file. Even with this, exact same problem. Would be a smaller chance of two independent images having a problematic cue file.

Another clarification is that by dosbox I don't mean dosbox the 3rd party program - I mean the native DOS that runs in Win98. If the discs for TR are multi mode, I guess there must be a reliable way to mount such virtual discs in Win98 so that all multimedia functions properly?
sphyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-24, 16:33   #4
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Now I see

1st of all, kudos for the very idea of recurring to dos mode (ie ms-dos v7.x) on a Win9x machine
supposedly talking about 32bit x86 OS and stuff, right?
A mode I've been using myself for so long, lastly though on a virtual Win98FE environment, both dos mode and Win98 proper (ms-dos v6.22 was better anyway imho )

it's very likely you bumped into a dos cdrom driver issue there which probably wouldn't show on Win9x itself, well as long as the bin file isn't corrupt

but before I get to elaborating on that, let me tell you, though it inevitably sounds like a cheap shameless plug , that I'm convinced you'd be much better off and much quicker if you gave my installer a try (running it on Win98, not in dos mode) :
it handles x86 vs. x64 architecture, Win9x versions, has soundtracks with PS1 addons, TRUB levels and stuff enabled, the right cue/bin and tomb.exe version arranged to match the 3dfx/glide enhancement, definitely less pixelated and it surely is simple to use

the image there at any rate I made myself from my original TRI pc cdrom (English version) plus the UB addon levels and the additional soundtracks from the PS1 source

anyway, a direct workaround for your predicament could be to find and install a working cdrom driver for dos 7.x, you know the version that shipped with Win9x, since the Win9x native driver isn't expected to come through, surely not in dos mode I mean, I for one wouldn't anticipate it
a driver for dos v6 and later will probably do too

now provided the image is valid and complete, the soundcard related stuff being already working as you said,
the cdaudio track playing part should hopefully be fine too,
since as you probably know it's only from WinXP (and x64 architecture) on that rerouting from dos & Win9x commands to windows gets to be badly needed.
Old 24-03-24, 16:48   #5
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
If the discs for TR are multi mode, I guess there must be a reliable way to mount such virtual discs in Win98 so that all multimedia functions properly?
I forgot to add this comment of mine:
as we know they're no .iso images, so the mounting can really be a problem

I had also found this caveat for you :
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/dae...indows-98.html
Quote:
To get CD Audio music with BIN/CUE image games, your sound card needs to use WDM drivers. VXD drivers will not work unfortunately etc.
Old 24-03-24, 16:58   #6
gidierre
Grease Monkey

also, this old thread from Vogons you ought to be somehow interested in

Windows 98SE + Virtual CD Software + CD Audio
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=37592

Last edited by gidierre; 25-03-24 at 21:09.
Old 25-03-24, 16:20   #7
gidierre
Grease Monkey

I guess a little, big recap is in order here

you're dealing with three options:
1. plain Win98
1.1 dos prompt in a Win98 box
2. real good old dos v7.x mode within Win98

1.1 is probably what you had in mind to begin with and with reason

1 and 1.1 ought to be one and the same, give or take some OS layers and Windows dressing, though it wouldn't be a first for me if the very same command via the prompt (1.1) was behaving better as opposed to ditto via the Win9x environment (1)
native cdrom driver, no issue expected anyway
cdaudio sound replay out of a mounted cue/bin image, well you showed the issue yourself, the 'cure' may or may not be swapping the wdm/vxd drivers (if available ) as referred to in post #5 above

2 here comes the tricky one
cdrom dos driver, ideally native and functioning
cdrom audio, who can rely on a mounted image (produced in Win9x by a win32 application) to work in a real-mode environment? what about the appropriate cdrom device driver (eg oakcdrom.sys) and MSCDEX handling of that ghost?
at the end of the day you'd probably get much luckier going all the way and burning the doggone image to a mixed-mode cd disc..

Just compare this page (where FreeDOS is debated though, instead of ms-dos)

OR go and take advantage of the win32-based dosbox (the program) syntax
imgmount -t cdrom ( -noioctl switch may apply too)
which takes care of (most of) the grievous technicalities involved

all in all, 1.1 is the goto choice here, if the drivers comply

unless you're dying to (or would rather die than) resort to the installer...

Last edited by gidierre; 25-03-24 at 21:16.