www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 03-04-19, 23:56   #1661
Ellioft
Professor

I have written to the Tomb Raider suite page about the Vinyls and here's the answer I was given.

"We have unfortunately experienced some further delays. We will be updating kickstarter in the next week explaining the details of this. I apologise for the inconvenience."
Old 04-04-19, 03:02   #1662
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

What I find funny is that I cancelled my pledge way before the **** started getting dispatched, yet I still received everything. So I now have a poster and TR Suite CD for free.
I wonder if it's some kind of apology gift for having wasted so much of my time during the campaign.
Old 04-04-19, 18:37   #1663
malferink
Explorer

I've listened to the album for the first time on spotify just now, I had no idea it was released there!

I absolutely mean no offence at all, and I'm sure Nathan and his team has worked really hard on this project. But am I the only one who thought it... wasn't that good?

Not good is perhaps not the right wording, but the new pieces inbetween the original music really distracted from the original work imo. I might have to give it a few more tries though. It's just that, I dont know, the original music seemed better to me?
For example 'Something spooky in that jungle', one of my all time favorites, sounds kind of weak to me or something. Idk, the original seemed to pack more of a punch? I'm finding it difficult to express my thoughts in words.

Was just wondering if anyone else felt the same? Like I said, it might just be the nostalgia glassess so I'm going to give it another try sometime later. Just curious on your thoughts.

Last edited by malferink; 04-04-19 at 18:39.
malferink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 19:23   #1664
Kapu
Professor

Default @^

It's not that I don't think the album is good (quite the opposite, it brought tears to my eyes), but the arrangements are very different from the original tracks. To my ear, the mixing/mastering is a lot different from the originals. Melodies in the original that had a great emphasis or push are sometimes quieter, and other melodies are louder. Overall, I would have liked to see a greater dynamic range in the mastering. One genuine criticism I have is that the orchestra does not always sound tight. Sometimes it feels that they aren't playing certain rhythms correctly. But we're used to hearing the synthesized versions that have absolutely accuracy, tempo, and timing, which makes small errors stand out more than they normally would.

Taking a closer look at "Something Spooking in that Jungle," I notice that the TR Suite version has almost no reverb, whereas the TR3 track had a very strong echo. It really contributed to the piece's dreamy, ethereal feel. It's not quite there in the TR Suite version. Instead the track has a more "acoustic," natural texture. The low end is also not as pronounced in the TR Suite version; I would have liked it to sound fuller. I notice that with a lot of the pieces, actually. The low strings/horns just aren't as full sounding. Which is a bummer, because the low section is so, so important. Also, the sitar (which plays such an important role in this track) in the TR Suite version is not nearly as precise as the original. Which, again, is a bummer.

As for the extensions to the tracks, overall I like most of them. They do take some getting used to, but in my opinion, I found they did more to enhance the pieces than distract from the original work. The extension to "Time to Run" is my absolute favorite.

I guess it's better to think of the TR Suite not as the ultimate, definitive version of Nathan's original tracks, but rather as a separate, re-visioned body of work.

Last edited by Kapu; 04-04-19 at 19:26.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-19, 20:57   #1665
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Overall, I’m very happy with how the Suite came out, but I still feel incredibly disappointed with TR3’s main theme. I know the tracks aren’t supposed to be exactly the same, but the main themes are, as far as I’m aware.

The percussion part of the song was absolutely ruined, and that’s a shame, considering how that was my favorite part of the song. :/
Old 04-04-19, 21:57   #1666
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Overall, I’m very happy with how the Suite came out, but I still feel incredibly disappointed with TR3’s main theme. I know the tracks aren’t supposed to be exactly the same, but the main themes are, as far as I’m aware.

The percussion part of the song was absolutely ruined, and that’s a shame, considering how that was my favorite part of the song. :/
What did it for me was the reggaeton-ish rhythmic pattern in "Something Spooky in That Jungle" track, which would be totally first class otherwise (the original version's rhythm sounded so much "Indian" to me)

Last edited by Famicom; 04-04-19 at 21:59.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 06:30   #1667
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
But am I the only one who thought it... wasn't that good?
You're most certainly not.
I only liked a few of the tracks in it, and I still thought the originals of them were better. The Skidoo especially disappointed me.
Old 05-04-19, 08:14   #1668
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
You're most certainly not.
I only liked a few of the tracks in it, and I still thought the originals of them were better. The Skidoo especially disappointed me.
Definitely agreed, especially with Skidoo. It just sounds... wrong. The strings don't sound aggressive enough, the guitar is playing at too high a pitch and the synthetic bass is definitely missed. It's the chief reason why I decided to do a version of it myself.
Old 05-04-19, 11:14   #1669
Zebra
Legend

Hm, I do think that the TRS version of the track was very disappointing and, while your version is nice, it kind of feels like it's missing sth, too. It just doesn't quite sound "full" and "rounded" enough if that makes any sense? And I feel like the percussion doesn't have enough "oomph" . Sorry, I don't know **** about music so I can't explain it any better . It's still quite good, though .
Old 05-04-19, 12:00   #1670
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Hm, I do think that the TRS version of the track was very disappointing and, while your version is nice, it kind of feels like it's missing sth, too. It just doesn't quite sound "full" and "rounded" enough if that makes any sense? And I feel like the percussion doesn't have enough "oomph" . Sorry, I don't know **** about music so I can't explain it any better . It's still quite good, though .
I think it's more that people have what it should sound like in their head. That, and while my ComposerCloud subscription is really good, it doesn't have many good synths. (the original piece is quite synth-heavy).