www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 20-07-18, 11:21   #12921
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

All of that is fair enough. Maybe there was a subtitle error then?
I genuinely had no clue what was happening with the door puzzle. What was holding those platforms up? Etc.

There's just... to me there's things which are just obviously bad and I think you and I actually have the same issues with the film. But I agree I should try to remember my opinion is just my opinion lol
Old 20-07-18, 11:36   #12922
Portugalraider
Professor

There is one thing possible benefit for the sequel that this movie was more grounded though: it can make the supernatural stuff from the Divine Source and the Immortal Prophet seem more of a step up compared to the previous story. This, of course, if the possible sequel would indeed be based on RotTR.

I mean, part of the plot could be about Lara trying to gain an explanation to how the Divine Source works, with Jacob of Sofia telling her that sometimes, the explanation is that simply there is none. You could even find a scientific way to describe the changes a body suffers to become immortal, when the there would still be no answer on to why does it happens at all.

It sucks that it comes at the expense of the current movie, especially because we are still unsure the movie will get a sequel, but the supernatural has to be brought to the movies, even if slowly and more "grounded" (for a lack of a better word).
Old 20-07-18, 12:24   #12923
Ellioft
Professor

I'm sure Roar are taking notes about the appreciation of the audiences. So far in the sequel based on opinion we gonna have :

Supernatural Stuff
A lot more fun action
Duals Pistols
More Locations
Véhicules
A less serious tone

Well they want an AJ movie but with Alicia.
Old 20-07-18, 12:41   #12924
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I'm sure Roar are taking notes about the appreciation of the audiences. So far in the sequel based on opinion we gonna have :

Supernatural Stuff
A lot more fun action
Duals Pistols
More Locations
Véhicules
A less serious tone

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think people want a better story more than anything, one that singles Lara out from other people, proving her extraordinary character.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 13:21   #12925
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

Supernatural Stuff
A lot more fun action
Duals Pistols
More Locations
Véhicules
A less serious tone

Never brought up the tone being too serious. The tone wasn't dark enough in my opinion. The rebooted games have much better tones than TR2018 film did. So a less serious tone would really irritate me. I'd love for them to commit to the violence and horror depicted in these rebooted games.

Supernatural stuff has been apart of the franchise since the very first game. It's even in the reboot series.

More locations...? Ummmmm... I'm fine with them being minimal like in the rebooted series.

"A lot more fun action"?
I thought the action in this film was fine... it wasn't as visceral as I would have preferred but it was still good.

Vehicles?

What? I don't care how many vehicles she uses...? She doesn't use any at all in the reboot series and I don't really think she needs to...? Did anyone make that complaint?

Oh and then you end it off by bringing up the AJ films again.

No. I don't think anyone wants AJ films but with AV.

I would love a Tomb Raider film based on the reboot series to 100% commit to the source material and not shy away from anything.
Old 20-07-18, 13:25   #12926
2001LC20

I want the movies to be different tbh! An alternate reboot era
Games pretty much give me what i want!
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 13:30   #12927
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
I want the movies to be different tbh! An alternate reboot era
Games pretty much give me what i want!
Absolutely this!

I would prefer they either adapt the rebooted games faithfully or do something completely original with the character.
Old 20-07-18, 13:38   #12928
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
I would love a Tomb Raider film based on the reboot series to 100% commit to the source material and not shy away from anything.
The movie's would only have more to lose if they tried this, though: there's no way they could do a 100% conversion of the games, which have a main story of 10 to 15 hours (remember that gameplay moments also are part of the story, not just the cutscenes) and cramming it all to 2 to 2:30 hours. It would only result in a movie that would either be way too long, or where the story feels rushed.

I think that what they did with this movie is the best way to go: take the basic premise, some elements of it, and do a different story with it. Like Marvel does when it adapts its most famous storylines into movies.

Doesn't mean I don't think they trimmed too much for this movie (again, supernatural stuff and visual appealing Yamatai), nor that the new story is better (in some parts it is, in others it really isn't), but I think that the correct idea is being taken, just that they need to review how they are taking it into action.
Old 20-07-18, 13:38   #12929
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Absolutely this!

I would prefer they either adapt the rebooted games faithfully or do something completely original with the character.
I wasn't saying anything about here but in the eye of a general audience it would have worked much better If it was a Marvel kind of flick.

Faithfully doesn't bring anything new on the table for me.
They could told another story but with Lara and Ana. I'm sure she's gonna be an awesome villain if she is alone without Konstantin.
Old 20-07-18, 13:53   #12930
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
The movie's would only have more to lose if they tried this, though: there's no way they could do a 100% conversion of the games, which have a main story of 10 to 15 hours (remember that gameplay moments also are part of the story, not just the cutscenes) and cramming it all to 2 to 2:30 hours. It would only result in a movie that would either be way too long, or where the story feels rushed.

I think that what they did with this movie is the best way to go: take the basic premise, some elements of it, and do a different story with it. Like Marvel does when it adapts its most famous storylines into movies.

Doesn't mean I don't think they trimmed too much for this movie (again, supernatural stuff and visual appealing Yamatai), nor that the new story is better (in some parts it is, in others it really isn't), but I think that the correct idea is being taken, just that they need to review how they are taking it into action.
Personally I would have loved the film to be split into three parts. Not as an afterthought, though.

When I say "100% commit to the source material" (in this case, the rebooted series) I'm referring to:
1. The violence. No story needs to be changed to that. Just show more blood.
2. Supernatural elements. They could do this easily within the same movie. Literally just remove the fact that Himiko made a stupid 'gotcha!' coffin and swap "See Dad! You ARE an idiot!" for "Oh crap... dad was right." plot twist.
3. Get rid of the playful vibe on the island.

That's what I would have preferred. Would have offered a nice contrast between London scenes too.

I get what you're saying though

Edit: @Ellioft FINALLY we agree on something! Konstantin was such a crap idiot villain. When are people going to learn that "Bad guy that kills his own men" is such an over used cliche. What kind of idiot kills his own men anyway? It's like... great... now you have less people to protect you and fight for you... you moron. Hahaha I hate Konstantin so much.

Last edited by SoraSakai; 20-07-18 at 13:56.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote