www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 08-01-19, 16:38   #13901
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Can I say I'm not that sure if going all T-rex and mutants and more sci-fi elements would really work in the movie's favour? A more light-hearted tone and some supernatural stuff, definitely. But leaning too heavily on "ancient advanced technology" I don't think so...
Oh I agree. I'd just want some of that splashed in there. In fact what I really like about the games is in how they never lean too heavily on those genres, themselves. The T-Rex is only a small part of the first game.

But just by having those elements in the movie, they can use them in the marketing to spice up interest.
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 17:18   #13902
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Oh I agree. I'd just want some of that splashed in there. In fact what I really like about the games is in how they never lean too heavily on those genres, themselves. The T-Rex is only a small part of the first game.

But just by having those elements in the movie, they can use them in the marketing to spice up interest.
Supernatural elements are fine, but please, no dinosaurs; I can already hear people making fun of it...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 17:38   #13903
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

I think that the fantasy inside temples would play well. The tone of the movie should be a mix between the "Skill Island" part of King Kong (Peter Jackson) and Indiana Jones.

I still think that the first movie did some things very well that I did not get The Cradle of Life or the reboot. The part of cambodia is the best part and the one that captures the tone of what should be TR. Action on earth and mythology in temples (but not scifi crappy as in The Cradle of Life)

Limiting TR with "survival and realism" is stupid and generic. TR can offer more by adding fantasy. Taking yourself too seriously has been your problem and I repeat that the dark and serious reboots do not like anymore. Aquaman, Infinity War, Jurassic World ... people want adventures and worlds that surprise them and TR can do it but they prefer to limit themselves and give something generic.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 08-01-19 at 17:41.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 17:42   #13904
Ellioft
Professor

But the Cambodia part is crappy shooted anyway.
Fantasy is cool but you need a justification and the first reboot movie let the doors open for an actual fantastical approach without the deja vu effect.

Last edited by Ellioft; 08-01-19 at 17:46.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 17:47   #13905
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Maybe that part was not well filmed but it was very funny and it sold the movie very well. Enter a temple and not know what you can find ... surprise the public! pseudoscience does not have that magic.

If we put two trailer in the cinema:

A. A woman, with a bow, in the snow, crying and trying to survive. Many mercenaries, a bear, a lot of drama, tears ... (people would think it's about a plane tragedy or something like that)

B. A woman with a braid, two pistols, entering immense temples, shooting dinosaurs, mummies, jumping mechanics, solving puzzles, fighting against other tomb raiders, traveling the world ...

What do you think would be more successful?

Currently, the most watched video of the reboot on youtube is the whole sequence of the plane. The only thing that people seem to have enjoyed. The reason is that people want something like that. Adventure.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 08-01-19 at 17:53.
Old 08-01-19, 17:51   #13906
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Maybe that part was not well filmed but it was very funny and it sold the movie very well. Enter a temple and not know what you can find ... surprise the public! pseudoscience does not have that magic.
What surprise ? It's what they have done with the Mummy movie in 1999 and frankly that's what you wanted to expect from a TR movie at this time.

The one with the better actress in my opinion

They can't do something who's different from the first movie b
with the Rise story but still with Anna (I just want to see a female villain for once and for all) involving globe trotting etc. Richard doesn't need to be here but the Croft Holdings have a place in this story.

Last edited by Ellioft; 08-01-19 at 17:58.
Old 08-01-19, 17:55   #13907
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
What surprise ? It's what they have done with the Mummy movie in 1999 and frankly that's what you wanted to expect from a TR movie at this time.

The one with the better actress in my opinion
Yes! The mummy (1999) did it well: fantasy, adventures ... the mummy (2017) adopted the dark and serious tone of the reboots and was a failure.

The time of the dark and serious reboots (Batman Begins) went out of fashion and many studies have not yet understood it.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 08-01-19 at 17:59.
Old 08-01-19, 18:04   #13908
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Yes! The mummy (1999) did it well: fantasy, adventures ... the mummy (2017) adopted the dark and serious tone of the reboots and was a failure.
Serious ? Nah it was cringy at best and doesn't really know what he wanted to be : comedic/serious/an action film/an hommage/an horror film etc It failed to be the beggining of a Cinematic Universe.

Also Tom Cruse was a pain in the a.. apparently.

Tomb Raider isn't dark in my opinion it's a realistic approach but now the sequel offer a lot of possibilities : Remember what Alicia said about Lara's Úvolution who isn't over at the end of the first movie. ^^

Last edited by Ellioft; 08-01-19 at 18:07.
Old 08-01-19, 18:13   #13909
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

Tomb Raider isn't dark in my opinion it's a realistic approach but now the sequel offer a lot of possibilities : Remember what Alicia said about Lara's Úvolution who isn't over at the end of the first movie. ^^
I agree; TR13 was really dark, but the movie wasn't nearly as dark. The tone was generally lighter.
There are a few exceptions, like the scene of the impalement, Lara's first kill and the sarcophagus scene, which I think are the best ones in the whole movie, but even if I would have liked a darker atmosphere more than the one we got, I understand that most people prefer it lighter.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 18:21   #13910
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
If we put two trailer in the cinema:

A. A woman, with a bow, in the snow, crying and trying to survive. Many mercenaries, a bear, a lot of drama, tears ... (people would think it's about a plane tragedy or something like that)

B. A woman with a braid, two pistols, entering immense temples, shooting dinosaurs, mummies, jumping mechanics, solving puzzles, fighting against other tomb raiders, traveling the world ...

What do you think would be more successful?
Quite honestly? Probably A, because especially the shooting dinossaurs and mummies make it sound as a cheap B campy action movie, which let's not forget it was what the first trailer made the movie look like, which was not the case.

Also, why not an option C:

A woman, in the snow, fighting mercs and bears, with a well defined dramatic conflict, while also sporting duals, and entering immense temples and having cool action scenes inside them? Maybe with a tease of something supernatural, without fully revealing what it is?

I think that would sell better, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
I agree; TR13 was really dark, but the movie wasn't nearly as dark. The tone was generally lighter.
There are a few exceptions, like the scene of the impalement, Lara's first kill and the sarcophagus scene, which I think are the best ones in the whole movie, but even if I would have liked a darker atmosphere more than the one we got, I understand that most people prefer it lighter.
Might I add that those scenes work so well because the tone of the movie is generally lighter? Because, the lighter tone of the movie makes them seem much darker than what they actually are (at least compared to similar scenes from the game) and as such they leave a much bigger impact.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 08-01-19 at 18:35.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote