www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 12-06-19, 19:59   #371
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I think he will be able to add those too

I also have always been annoyed by the differences between PC and PS1 and the fact continued throughout all of classic series. We will probably never know why they didn't make the effort to keep these small effects consistent across both platforms. The fact that TR4 PC demo has a round shadow sprite and beta footage shows an actual smooth shadow, but the final retail version has the ugly octagon, is just annoying...
Yes it's weird. Ever since they became Sony exclusive they have been giving PS small advantages. But PC still wins in the end with the Nvidia optimizations, the higher resolution and the custom patches.

The ultimate edition would probably be the PC version played on a quality TV with a controller connected to it.
Old 14-06-19, 02:59   #372
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
We will probably never know why they didn't make the effort to keep these small effects consistent across both platforms.
PC just wasn't a priority, I'd say. They were quick ports. Consoles (namely PS) were the "flagship" platforms.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 06:16   #373
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
But PC still wins in the end with the Nvidia optimizations
What nvidia optimizations? You mean the compatibility patches included with nvidia drivers?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 09:51   #374
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
What nvidia optimizations? You mean the compatibility patches included with nvidia drivers?
Especially through it's control panel. You can force anti-aliasing resulting in a crisp image.
There's also the texture filtering and anisotropic filtering which probably doesn't do all that much visibly but I still like to believe that it increases the quality overall.
Old 14-06-19, 15:36   #375
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
PC just wasn't a priority, I'd say. They were quick ports. Consoles (namely PS) were the "flagship" platforms.
Pretty much. Lara and TR were, at the time, one of the few big faces of PlayStation, so they’d naturally want something technically impressive for those versions of the game.
Old 14-06-19, 17:10   #376
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Makes me wish we had sales breakdown per platform to see exactly how the PC versions fared.
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 18:33   #377
Ewerton Pires
Hobbyist

The only advantage of the PC version is the fact of the ambiance CDDA tracks replay after interruption by other track and the possibility to play in High Resolutions. PC you can implement patches to improve the gameplay experience.

Last edited by Ewerton Pires; 14-06-19 at 18:34.
Ewerton Pires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 19:42   #378
Tremolo
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewerton Pires View Post
The only advantage of the PC version is the fact of the ambiance CDDA tracks replay after interruption by other track and the possibility to play in High Resolutions. PC you can implement patches to improve the gameplay experience.
Are you sure about this? I remember playing it on the PSOne as a kid, and the ambience tracks would replay again after any interruption. I think that the interruption you mention only happens when you play with the emulator. But I'm not sure because I don't have the PSOne console anymore.
Tremolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-19, 21:27   #379
Ewerton Pires
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Are you sure about this? I remember playing it on the PSOne as a kid, and the ambience tracks would replay again after any interruption. I think that the interruption you mention only happens when you play with the emulator. But I'm not sure because I don't have the PSOne console anymore.

Yes, I'm sure. I have a PSone fat model and original TR2 disc. I noticed that CDDA won't replay when interrupted by other track. It happens with TR2 and also TR1. My PS1 fat is SCPH 9001.
Old 14-06-19, 23:32   #380
Kirishima
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewerton Pires View Post
Yes, I'm sure. I have a PSone fat model and original TR2 disc. I noticed that CDDA won't replay when interrupted by other track. It happens with TR2 and also TR1. My PS1 fat is SCPH 9001.
Because my brain and english seem to be failing me at the moment, what's that word for when you can corroborate someone's claim? This happens in the small ps1 model as well. Background ambience won't loop if interrupted by another track, at least in the US ntsc version. However, the ps1 version did pause its music if you went into inventory rather than lower the volume like the (patched) pc version does, and wasn't muted if you went underwater.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote