Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 28-07-18, 12:10   #11
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Story-wise Underworld is Meh, I mean its mostly not bad, but also feels like a side-story for the most part, certain events like Alistars death and Lara's Mother feel almost like they were thrown in so the game WOULD be important in the timeline of LAU with only really Thailand and Mexico offering the variety in ancient Culture Legend had
I agree. The story most definitely felt like a step from Legend. It feels like they didn't plan much ahead and so after Legend was finished, they didn't really know what to do next.

Quote:
Lara looks great as always but Alister looks a little off.
Personally, I wasn't a fan of this Lara's model. I don't think she looks bad, but it's just not my favorite design either. Alister on the other hand looks like a different person from Legend.

Quote:
my only complaint is that a few of the animations (like for climbing rocks sticking out of walls) look a little choppy, Swimming has been improved, letting you just turn the camera up or down to swim up or down and letting Lara dodge while swimming, my only complaint is that Lara barely swims in the game without the Oxygen tank
I agree on this as well. They felt unrealistic and sped up. As for the swimming, I think the underwater levels were great but sadly, only Thailand (I think) has her swim around without the oxygen tank. Just to put it out there, I'm absolutely in love with the underwater caverns in Thailand and the accompanying ost.

Quote:
the game is a little short, but hey you get an extra few levels if you buy the Xbox EXCLUSIVE DLC!!!! (also technicly more story, but its literally just stuff retconned from the base game, its pretty much 2 extra levels with a small story that contradicts the base-game in a fashion to justify their inclusion.) to quote the Gaming Statistic in his Underworld video. "Only for Xbox, F*** you".
This is probably my main complaint with this game, it should be available on every console or at least the PC! Mind you, these 2 DLC are the only Tomb Raider games not playable on a computer. For heavens sake Microsoft, at least allow them to release it on Windows as well. Windows is your property after all..

Quote:
Pretty much every weapon has its place and use, only complaint is that you can't find ammo/weapons in the environment like the classics. There are probably due to being rushed no ammo/weapon pick ups, instead Lara starts each level with every weapon with a (Dependant on difficulty) certain amount of ammo and you have to make it last
Takes away a lot of fun and feeling of accomplishment doesn't it? Everybody loves finding new gear in games, but seeing as how already get everything (except the hammer) at the very start; you don't really get much to look forward to.

Quote:
Sadly Underworld completely lacks bosses
Tomb Raider always had these awesome boss fights! Even AOD had some really unique and hard bosses (brother obscura anyone?). I don't understand why they did it this way in Underworld, Legend had amazing boss fights so why the sudden change?

Quote:
Enemy AI seems to be somewhat better? They don't get stuck on the Environment like the first two LAU games at least, but humans definitely lost a few brain cells after Legend and sometimes at a distance are almost completely passive
The AI is bad in this game. Almost all of them are programmed to just run straight at the player with no tactic or whatsoever.

Despite me sounding harsh, I think I'm being fairly honest here. I do love this game and I replay it from time to time but it was hit or miss with Underworld for me. Some things felt amazing while others felt mediocre.

Last edited by Maverin; 03-08-18 at 13:19.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 19:54   #12
Legends

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, but I only played Underworld after playing literally every other game in the series
When was the first time you played it? Did you play the reboot before it also?
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 20:00   #13
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
When was the first time you played it? Did you play the reboot before it also?
I'd finished every pre-reboot game except 4 (Lets just say I get lost alot in that one) and had started Rise, then decided I'd rather play first Underworld early on, did not regret that decision.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 21:44   #14
Legends

Quote:
I'd finished every pre-reboot game except 4 (Lets just say I get lost alot in that one) and had started Rise, then decided I'd rather play first Underworld early on, did not regret that decision.
Now I want a full list in which order you played the games and which year. Where does Legend fit in, lol?

Mine is pretty simple as I played all the games in order and around the time of release.
Old 31-07-18, 00:00   #15
Ellioft

The major problem I have with this game besides his wasted potential on the story, the bad fan service and having no boss it's about the ending they have made literally no effort to concerve a continuity between Legend and Underworld. The mirror in Nepal is sliced in several parts when Amelia take the sword and in Underworld it's fixed
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-18, 20:56   #16
Samz

Quote:
Now I want a full list in which order you played the games and which year. Where does Legend fit in, lol?

Mine is pretty simple as I played all the games in order and around the time of release.
Eh why not?

Can't remember the exact years, but the general order is:

TR3 (But no PS1 memory card so I didn't actually get to play past Jungle til' I got a ps1 memory card around the time I played Chronicles)
TR Legend
TR Anniversary
TR5
TR4
TR2
TR1
Rise
Underworld (I'd only heard negative things about it at the time)

Last edited by Samz; 12-08-18 at 16:29.
Old 12-08-18, 08:14   #17
Maverin

Quote:

TR3 (But no PS1 memory card so I didn't actually get to play past Jungle til' I got a ps1 memory card around the time I played Chronicles)
TR Legend
TR Anniversary
TR5
TR4
TR2
TR1
Rise
Underworld
That's quite a peculiar order. Especially the classics. You almost played all of them backwards. Did you ever replay them chronically?
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-18, 09:44   #18
Legends

Quote:
Eh why not?

TR Legend
TR Anniversary
TR5
TR4
TR2
TR1
Rise
Underworld

Haha! There must have been a huge gap between TR3 and Legend. I know the feeling of playing India forever. Though I had a memory card and I still couldn't figure it out. Well, it just took a while.

This is such a strange order.
Old 12-08-18, 09:46   #19
Samz

Quote:
Haha! There must have been a huge gap between TR3 and Legend. I know the feeling of playing India forever. Though I had a memory card and I still couldn't figure it out. Well, it just took a while.

This is such a strange order.
Yeah I was a teen at the time so I got the ones with the most features first since pocket money.
Old 12-08-18, 11:05   #20
Mickybyrne20

I really enjoyed Underworld, though I found it to be way too easy, and that was way back when I was maybe 11 or 12.

I loved the doppelganger story, and the DLC that soon followed. I've never really fully enjoyed the Lara's parents story that's so frequently capitalized on.

I was really disappointed that it didn't have Croft Manor, and them blowing it up was just a way so they didn't have to include it.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote