Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 22-06-20, 14:34   #1
Tsarina

Exclamation Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen

Disclosure: Trans Lives on Screen is an 2020 American documentary film, directed and produced by Sam Feder. The film follows an in-depth look at Hollywood's depiction of transgender people and the impact of their stories on transgender lives and American culture

Hey All, I just watched this the other day and it is an absolutely wonderfully made documentary regarding Transgender individuals and how we have been portrayed in the media over the years and today. The struggles we face, the representation of us and why it matters. If you get a chance to watch it is extremely informative. Interviews with Laverne Cox (Orange is the New Black) MJ Rodriguez and Angelica Ross (Pose) Trace Lysette (Transparent) and many other Trans Men, Women, and Gender Non-Conforming artists. If you have already watched it let me know what you think.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-20, 14:39   #2
SnatchingEdges

Thanks for the recommendation, maybe I'll watch it today or tomorrow.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-20, 09:31   #3
SnatchingEdges

I watched it last night and I loved it. I wish it was a documentary series instead of a film cuz I feel like some topics were rushed and not discussed enough (Jenner, for example).

It made me think of something. While I think cis actors shouldn't play trans characters, it always bugged me the idea that all trans characters do is talk abt trans issues. But someone said that a trans actor/tress playing a trans character was actually good for them, they're basically celebrating the artist and their situation not only in the movie, but in real life.

It's a shame they didn't mention Drag Race especially because Carmen Carrera was there. It was a lost opportunity, but I guess no one wanted to mess with Rupaul.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-20, 16:21   #4
Tsarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
I watched it last night and I loved it. I wish it was a documentary series instead of a film cuz I feel like some topics were rushed and not discussed enough (Jenner, for example).

It made me think of something. While I think cis actors shouldn't play trans characters, it always bugged me the idea that all trans characters do is talk abt trans issues. But someone said that a trans actor/tress playing a trans character was actually good for them, they're basically celebrating the artist and their situation not only in the movie, but in real life.

It's a shame they didn't mention Drag Race especially because Carmen Carrera was there. It was a lost opportunity, but I guess no one wanted to mess with Rupaul.
Oh I completely agree, if it was series that would be amazing as it only skimmed the surface of trans representation over the years. And there are currently (to my knowledge) hardly any doc series that are similar to this one.

So yes, Trans actors playing Trans roles is more beneficial than Cis actors playing those roles, because as pointed out by Jen Richardson, that is a direct link to the violence on the community. When people see on screen a trans character being played by a well known cis male actor that they know of, that is all they're going to see is that well known cis actor (a man dressed as a woman for a performance). But when a Trans actor is playing the role, it brings more attention to that particular actor and by doing so they see that "Oh hey there's a woman playing a woman" which then will reinforce to them that "trans women are women" and "trans men are men". Granted that is not the only roles we should be playing, as mentioned by another artist during the doc, there are plenty of trans women who have lived their lives "stealth" and by doing so have played various roles that the character was not trans. However Hollywood for some reason rarely ever gives trans actors a non trans role.

Rupaul is definitely a whole different story haha, I personally do not like him. lol.

This documentary meant the world to me, which is why I needed to share it with you all (especially since there was a thread opened not long ago about what it means to be Transgender, which I also posted this documentary in). There were so many topics brought up that I have personally experienced in my life. Such as the only frame of reference that someone had to someone trans was Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Which of course pointed out in the doc that he is not Trans, but people see a man dressing as a woman and instantly think that. So I had my own conversation with someone once regarding that and having to correct someone. So it is so crazy to me how much media truly does have an effect on people and their views.

Last edited by Tsarina; 24-06-20 at 16:27.
Old 20-09-20, 15:31   #5
Tsarina

Bringing this back up because this Documentary clearly needs some attention right now. For anyone wanting to educate themselves on trans issues (which some people in this forum very much need to do) then watch this doc.

Last edited by Tsarina; 20-09-20 at 15:36.