Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 26-07-21, 21:22   #21
MelikeLara

Ahh I think you're right! I don't remember noticing it before on the pro, I think I would have but if the higher fps in lower rear mode might have counteracted it maybe? Still looks gorgeous but those kinds of things really stick out to me and break the immersion lol
MelikeLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-21, 20:43   #22
Joshorty

Not a fan of how 30fps is being completely erased as an option. It's happened with Tomb Raider (2013), transitioning to PS4 as a Definitive Edition, as well as Ratchet Clank (2016) via PS5 patch, and now this. And as some have noticed, some animations don't reflect well with 60fps because they were designed with 30fps in mind (flames for example). I don't mind 30fps at all, it's the closest cinematic filmic frame rate for video games. But since the advent of 60fps, anything lower is considered a "sin" when I think it looks fantastic.

Not to mention, I get more nauseous with 60.
Joshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 07:58   #23
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorty View Post
And as some have noticed, some animations don't reflect well with 60fps because they were designed with 30fps in mind (flames for example).
This doesn't make sense, considering the game can run at any FPS on PC
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 14:08   #24
Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I was thinking this
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 12:29   #25
Wooxman

Quote:
I don't mind 30fps at all, it's the closest cinematic filmic frame rate for video games.
They're games, not movies. You don't watch them, you control them. Higher frame rates provide much better reaction times and less input lag. Plus animations look much better at higher frame rates.

Quote:
But since the advent of 60fps, anything lower is considered a "sin" when I think it looks fantastic.
60 FPS has been a thing since the dawn of video games. NES games already ran at 60 FPS and a huge part of the PS2's library runs at 60. It wasn't until the Xbox 360 and PS3 that developers started prioritizing resolution over frame rate. 30 FPS is a compromise, not a purposefully made decision to make games look "more cinematic". If developers really wanted to make games look "more cinematic", then they would lock them at 24 FPS, which is the frame rate that films run at. But whenever possible, frame rates are pushed to 60 FPS or even higher because it makes games look and play better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
It's possible that minor background stuff like leaves that fly around are still effected by the frame rate. That certainly happens in other games. But considering that 60 FPS was an option even on consoles (PS4 Pro and Xbox One X) since release, it's possible that the leaves have the "correct" speed at 60 FPS and that they fly too slow at 30.

Last edited by Wooxman; 03-08-21 at 12:35.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 13:11   #26
Portugalraider

Still, and while I am 100% down on the stable 60 FPS, since one of the reasons Joshorty prefers 30 FPS is due to having motion sickness. On PC you can cap the frame rate as you want, maybe a similar option for accessibility reasons could be something to think about on the future (especially if the next game is able to run at 60 FPS as well)
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 17:25   #27
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Still, and while I am 100% down on the stable 60 FPS, since one of the reasons Joshorty prefers 30 FPS is due to having motion sickness. On PC you can cap the frame rate as you want, maybe a similar option for accessibility reasons could be something to think about on the future (especially if the next game is able to run at 60 FPS as well)
Wanting options for different frame rates to avoid motion sickness is still different from making claims that 30 FPS would generally be superior to 60 or that the "advent of 60 FPS" would only have happened fairly recently. 60 FPS isn't a "trend" thing like "dark and gritty" looking games, it's supposed to be a standard.

But thinking of this: It would make sense if it was possible to cap the frame rate in the system options of the console. On PC I can globally cap the frame rate at whatever number I want and it'll be the same in every game, so that shouldn't be so hard to do on consoles. Maybe telling Sony and MS about these things could help.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 04:23   #28
xspacedude

Hey guy! It’s been a while since I posted here lol I miss the DLC rollout months ugh! Good but dark times (I’m talking about you dlc8) Anyway, this update was such good news, I thought they would never bother with it, I’m happy even though I don’t own a PS5/XBOXSX (and won’t for a looong time). I found this video where they tested the upgrade on all new gen consoles and compared it with the PS4 pro too.

Unfortunately, all these type of videos only tested the first hours of the game. I wish I could see how the frames hold in Paititi where the PS4 and XONE struggles most and the loading time while playing DLCs.
Loading screens are still fairly long on the PS5 (especially if compared to the series x) but I would take 25ish seconds over the PS4’s 1:30min with no complaints lol

https://youtu.be/o-kOiyN4ngU

So, have anyone completed the game after the update? With the DLCs and stuff? Any complaints? I would love to hear your experience on any of the consoles!
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 13:47   #29
Hai27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspacedude View Post
So, have anyone completed the game after the update? With the DLCs and stuff? Any complaints? I would love to hear your experience on any of the consoles!
Playing on Xbox Series X in high resolution mode either on 60 Hz with VRR enabled or 120 Hz / no VRR.

Even though it is only a 1080p monitor I prefer the downsampled high resolution image as it still looks noticeably better than the high framerate mode image (however even framerate mode does not look as blurry as before the last update).

Probably also thanks to VRR and 120 Hz, respectively, even in Paititi I couldn't notice any of the minor framerate hick-ups mentioned in the video.
Hai27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 13:41   #30
charmedangelin

I wonder who is old enough to remember when 60fps was the standard. Because I certainly remember the PS2/Xbox/GameCube era made 60fps the standard. You'd be hard to find any game that didn't run at 60fps during that time.

It wasn't until PS3/Xbox360 era when 30fps became the standard due to the consoles lack in power to properly push 60fps with the intense graphics this gen was pushing.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote