Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 29-04-24, 16:25   #451
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4ppa971 View Post
2. In the "RX-Tech Mines" level, after finding the battery and starter winch, and placing them, the yellow structure goes down under the water, but if you don't immediately dive under the water but instead leave the room, at return the structure will be afloat again and there will be no way for it to go back down. I think it's a bug because I haven't found any way to bring it back down other than loading an old save.
You're right. There's no way. It's the design error (of flipmap) of the original game. But it's not game-breaking, because the underwater gate is still open. You can use the save-load bug or use tons of medipacks to get through the underwater tunnel.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-24, 10:57   #452
K4ppa971

Quote:
I encountered the following bugs in Tomb3:
4. At the end of The Lost Artifact, the credits were skipped.
This isn't a Tomb3 bug, the Italian script for The Last Artifact didn't start the credits.
Furthermore, the game didn't display "La mano di Rathmore" correctly in all The Last Artifact levels (again the fault of the Italian script). The first time it is referred to as "Pietra Infada" and the last time as "P1" .

I've fixed these two issues as well as other string fixes for both Tomb Raider III and The Last Artifact.

It is available here: https://github.com/Trxyebeep/tomb3/pull/27
K4ppa971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-24, 03:01   #453
daedrix

@K4ppa971 Thanks! Crazy how busted TR3's PC translation was back in '98...
TR3 main game even had some Time Trial (in the Manor) sections of the script in French! And always in the Manor, some audio where she's supposed to explain us the commands in the gym don't even play!

On PSX everything works correctly though...

The '90s and the early 2000s were awful for console to PC ports...
Without proper and extensive modding it's always better to emulate the console versions of those titles from that age.
daedrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-24, 10:08   #454
K4ppa971

If you want to laugh even more: in Tomb Raider 2 the Italian translation of the menus is, for some strange reason, partial (fortunately not a serious problem).
Yesterday I discovered that there is an Italian CD version of Tomb Raider 4 where an audio file has been renamed incorrectly and causes a cutscene in the first level to freeze (because the game can't find the file)... when I noticed it, I couldn't believe it.
Old 10-05-24, 11:28   #455
Heckler

Okay, so I've pretty much tried everything. TR3 works perfectly fine without the config tool but with it it just opens up immediately and closes immediately.

It used to work with perfectly fine with TR3, Tomb Editor and TR3 custom levels.
Maybe it's a registry entry or a setting?
Deleting TR3 registry settings also didn't fix this.

EDIT: I managed to get it to boot by disabling the sound in the setup. So it's probably an audio driver issue.

Last edited by Heckler; 10-05-24 at 11:51.
Heckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-24, 14:01   #456
K4ppa971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Okay, so I've pretty much tried everything. TR3 works perfectly fine without the config tool but with it it just opens up immediately and closes immediately.

It used to work with perfectly fine with TR3, Tomb Editor and TR3 custom levels.
Maybe it's a registry entry or a setting?
Deleting TR3 registry settings also didn't fix this.

EDIT: I managed to get it to boot by disabling the sound in the setup. So it's probably an audio driver issue.
The fact that tomb3 crashes due to audio drivers is very strange. If you are on Windows 10 or 11, I would say that perhaps you have a faulty audio driver or some DirectX component is not installed correctly. Try installing this (select language first): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
Old 10-05-24, 16:50   #457
Heckler

Quote:
The fact that tomb3 crashes due to audio drivers is very strange. If you are on Windows 10 or 11, I would say that perhaps you have a faulty audio driver or some DirectX component is not installed correctly. Try installing this (select language first): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
Thank you. Yes, I've tried the DirectX route but that wasn't it.
I'll have a look later but I'm certain the culprit might be the default sound device. I use different drivers for audio applications and headphones so it's very possible that they're conflicting as the ones I'm using aren't listed in the setup. Which is odd because the setups for TR2,4 and 5 do list them.
Heckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-24, 14:45   #458
K4ppa971

@daedrix, unfortunately with Tomb3 with ffplay FMV playback, it's true that the intro FMVs play correctly, but I loaded a save of the last level just before the last helicopter FMV and unfortunately, if you use dgvoodoo 2, you only hear the audio. I imagine it could happen with the other FMVs during the campaign too.
Without dgvoodoo 2, everything works perfectly.
Old 13-05-24, 19:56   #459
daedrix

Damn... was too good to be true... Then, at the state of things, we can't have tomb3, working fmvs and playing at 4k, unless they reprise working on tomb3.
Which they 99.999% won't, since since now there's the Remasters... Which sucks for us purists, since the "Classic" mode in them is actually far worse than their Win98 versions.
I understand the emphasis on the new models and textures, but at the very least make the classic mode run 1:1 with the originals.
daedrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-24, 21:30   #460
K4ppa971

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedrix View Post
Damn... was too good to be true... Then, at the state of things, we can't have tomb3, working fmvs and playing at 4k, unless they reprise working on tomb3.
Which they 99.999% won't, since since now there's the Remasters... Which sucks for us purists, since the "Classic" mode in them is actually far worse than their Win98 versions.
I understand the emphasis on the new models and textures, but at the very least make the classic mode run 1:1 with the originals.
Maybe you can ask the developer of TR1X (and TR2X which is in development, maybe in a year it will be semi-complete) if in the future he will take the source codes of Tomb3, Tomb4 and Tomb5 and continue development.
Currently you could play Tomb3 in full HD, you will have more aliasing but it's not that bad because the game has low polygons.

Regarding the remasters, I haven't played them but I read they are of good quality (compared to most of the bad remasters released in recent years). With the "classic" control system it should be like the original games (I haven't tested it).
Graphically, I can understand why they updated the graphics... we're talking about games born on PS1 with low polygons and graphics that haven't aged very well. To have the original graphics, as for other 90s games, you have to fall back on open source source ports, but currently, apart from TR1X (and TR2X) which are in active development, the others are at a standstill. Unfortunately this happens often.