Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-05-24, 20:25   #21
Mr Od

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
Also, if you are framing this as everything in your idea happens after she escapes the pyramid, that doesn't make any sense because she retires after she escapes until AoD.
This retirement thing was actually never told in the games themselves; it was part of the ideas from the AoD development phase.

Quote:
Chronicles was meant to be a series of adventures that Father Patrick and others were reminiscing about since she was though to be dead. Having current event adventures wouldn't work.
The memorial service and the meeting at Lara's Home would take place in the Gold, which would be contemporary with Lara's time in Sudan with Putai.
Mr Od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-24, 20:34   #22
egypt_gypsie

She still retires after the events of TLR. Whether it was in the actual game or in the "development phase" is irrelevant. And I would argue that it is in the game because it is pretty heavily implied that Werner dragged her out of retirement to look for the paintings. She references how he "walked away and left her" meaning she clearly still has issues with it. There is also the strength system, meaning she clearly hasn't done much raiding for awhile if pushing a box gives her more strength.

If you really want to have a new story for Chronicles, you're going to have to modify AoD's story too, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-24, 20:47   #23
Mr Od

Quote:
She still retires after the events of TLR. Whether it was in the actual game or in the "development phase" is irrelevant. And I would argue that it is in the game because it is pretty heavily implied that Werner dragged her out of retirement to look for the paintings. She references how he "walked away and left her" meaning she clearly still has issues with it. There is also the strength system, meaning she clearly hasn't done much raiding for awhile if pushing a box gives her more strength.

If you really want to have a new story for Chronicles, you're going to have to modify AoD's story too, otherwise it doesn't make sense.
The fact that she was angry with Werner says nothing about her retirement.

Regarding the (broken) strength system, I really hope that it will be completely removed with the reworking of the movements in TR6 Remastered.
Mr Od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-24, 21:36   #24
Joey79100

I'll just be rewording what other people have said already, but I'm afraid you really have the wrong idea of what is a remaster, and what people expect from them.

A remaster improves the quality of an existing product, by improving audio / image quality, for games it's often models, textures, etc... but it's still the same product. Whether we're talking about remastering a game or something else by the way.
It's a way to let people who loved the original product experience it again, but "better". It's also a way to let people make their relatives discover this product in a "better" form than the old one to make them understand what you loved about it without the "technical limits of the time". It's the same product.
Basically, a remaster is a way to make an existing product shine again, NOT change it for something else.

So even an AOD remaster shouldn't have the strength system removed, especially since it was used as a gameplay element and was part of progressing in the levels. It may have been implemented in a much sillier way than they intended, maybe a few fixes could help it work better (akin to what the AOD restoration project does), but it should remain as well in a remaster.

But back on topic, the idea of making it a custom level would be welcome, Sabatu's TR1 and TR2 Reimagined are very well received, they give another take on what you already know yet it's familiar. Yours would go further into that direction by even getting different locations and a different story.
Feel free to start working on it, people will have no problem helping if there is stuff you get stuck on in spite of the tutorials. I'm sure there might even be a few people who might lend a hand on a thing or two once the project nears completion, like cutscenes and stuff like that.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 03:33   #25
KyleCroft

I'm just really confused how you thought you could propose an idea for someone else to create a fanmade game that you thought of that would then be remastered and retconned in place of one of the official games for a remaster that has had no indication of being in production.

A level of confidence and delusion that is truly remarkable.
KyleCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 05:27   #26
.snake.

This thread reminds me of the good old days of the TRLE section on this forum, when Kill Bill and others ruled here and started a new team project every week.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 14:52   #27
not again!

If it's any comfort, you are not the only one to step into a community built around making fan content for a game, proposing ideas with the request others should make it happen. This happens frequently and it never goes well, because as others have pointed out - if someone puts in the time and effort to become proficient at making new content for their fav game, it's because they have plenty of ideas themselves that they want to see in game.
This does not necessarily mean that the proposed ideas are bad, personally I found your story outline neat and the locations intriguing, but like most other level builders I have my own ideas I want to build.

But on the other hand, wasn't there recently a thread about where level builders get their ideas from? So I guess there are a few builders who would welcome suggestions on what to build and there is a chance that someone might pick up your suggestion.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-24, 16:24   #28
Baslakor

Also, on a constructive note, why don't you start building yourself? Lots of support online. Don't go big, just start with the Nubian Desert level and release it!
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote