www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-09-21, 20:00   #1
dwall96
Hobbyist

Default Story behind PAL dual CD case and regular black label

I've noticed on eBay that there are 2 black label versions of tomb raider, a dual CD style case and a regular pal ps1 case. What is the story of these two releases? Which came first?
dwall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-21, 08:42   #2
_Seth
Archaeologist

I have the dual CD case and it does not actually have a second disc holder. I suspected it may have been because the PAL releases had to have every European language included in the manual, which ends up being thick enough to require a thicker case. But then I don't know why the regular case would either have less translations or have fit anyway, in which case, I don't know why it has the pseudo-dual case originally.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 10:02   #3
dwall96
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I have the dual CD case and it does not actually have a second disc holder. I suspected it may have been because the PAL releases had to have every European language included in the manual, which ends up being thick enough to require a thicker case. But then I don't know why the regular case would either have less translations or have fit anyway, in which case, I don't know why it has the pseudo-dual case originally.
So do you think the original launch version was the double CD case?, after doing a bit of research it seems that a few early PS1 games had a double cd case for demos (although not all of them actually included them as with TR1).

Then maybe when the PAL case was bought in early in PS1 life the next run of TR1 came in that case and hence they had to reduce the size of the manual
dwall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-21, 17:14   #4
_Seth
Archaeologist

The original launch version looked to be a double CD cse in every way, except an actual second disc holder ring thing doesn't exist in it, so I guess no demo was to be included. I might be wrong in that conclusion, though. I'm only saying it because my thick case doesn't have a second disc ring.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 17:16   #5
AndersL
Hobbyist

In the early days, all PS1 games came in those double disc cases in Europe. A few games came with demos included, but most didn't. I guess Sony hadn't yet designed the cases which later became the standard cases in Europe.

At the time TR1 came out (November 1996), other games had already been released in the "new" standard European PS1 cases, like Street Fighter Alpha (May 1996) and Resident Evil (August 1996), so I don't know why TR1 was still released in a double disc case, but that's how it was first released. It did not come with a demo at first.

A later reprint of the game in 1997 came with a Fighting Force demo. Interestingly, the second tray didn't really have teeth to hold a disc, so the demo disc was just loose inside there:

https://crimson-ceremony.net/demopal...rce#SLED-00881

(This reprint can be told apart from the 1996 first issue by the added magazine scores on the front and the yellow sticker advertising the demo, and probably some minor details on the back insert. I sold my first pressing and only kept the reissue with demo...)

Copies in the new standard European PS1 cases were released later than the double disc case releases.

Last edited by tlr online; 04-10-21 at 17:29. Reason: Restored link.
AndersL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 19:01   #6
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

PS1 Tomb Raider had like a DVD case, same for Resident Evil, Tekken 1 and Fully Loaded then Tomb Raider came with PS1 double case then Standard PS1 case. That's how I can remember during my childhood
Old 13-10-21, 22:22   #7
AndersL
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest TR View Post
PS1 Tomb Raider had like a DVD case, same for Resident Evil, Tekken 1 and Fully Loaded then Tomb Raider came with PS1 double case then Standard PS1 case. That's how I can remember during my childhood
No PS1 games were released in Europe in DVD-sized cases. Maybe you are confusing them with the Saturn releases of those games, which both came in very large cases similar in size to DVD cases.

The only Tekken variant in a big case of similar size is the American PS1 release. Resident Evil 1 also had a big case release in the USA. TR1 did not.
AndersL is offline   Reply With Quote