www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 13-10-21, 23:22   #1
Profc
Archaeologist

Default Could a TR inspired Space Archeology game could work?

I have recently finished the Outer Wilds and really enjoyed the game. I think that the puzzles were really creative, and we don't really get many games involving planetary physics and physics puzzles.

In recent years TR games mostly abandoned the wackier elements of the franchise and toned down various monsters, and the extra-dimensional locations. And I have been longing for something like that.

What's your feeling towards a TR style space or sci-fi game? Could it work, or are you more invested in earth based archaeology.

EDIT: I just realized that I typed could twice in the title

Last edited by Profc; 14-10-21 at 01:56.
Profc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 23:27   #2
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Earth-based for me. I am not a fan of space, and I wouldn't want Lara to go there.

That said, I'm all for alternate dimensions ala Floating Islands as long as the whole adventure doesn't take place in one.

Shadow hinted at the Yaaxil going to one of those (kind of), so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibilities of the Reboot series for Lara to ever visit one.

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 13-10-21 at 23:28.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-21, 23:48   #3
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I think they could make anything work if they put the right effort in and got the right writers.

It would have to be given some plausibility (which is easy enough with good plotting and some decent research), but also it would have to be given some real purpose. Not just happen there for the sake of it.

By this I mean, if it's just another excuse to have Lara stumble deeper into father's research closely followed by a shadowy group of hostiles (this time maybe in Nasa suits on strange planet surface or through strange planet caves) whilst they race for the "thing" that is the concocted "threat to the world" that Lara tussels with destroying, then it may as well be on Earth.

They have to buy into the reality of Lara being off-world 100% (not that she has to be there 100% of the game, but that they take this aspect seriously).

The story has to be about that and not just have it be some backdrop to the same kind of plot as normal. Only this time with nasa-suit hostiles with ray-guns (gun equivalents) and ray-bombs (grenade equivalents) and strange alien fungi to use as poison coating on bullets, etc. And all the same kind of upgrading of ray-weaponry and skills by collecting special alien guff found on the surface.

If they went that way it'd be lame and contrived.

If they put the off-world central to the story and build the story around solving the special problems associated with this bizarre fact, then it could be worth experiencing.

Imo.

----
Another thing concerning plausibility.

How Lara space travelled would have to be done carefully. I would find it more plausilbe if Lara found alien technology that instantly transported her to a strange world, than either finding a super secret US space vehicle and somehow flying that to a different planet or indeed finding an alien spaceship and flying that to a different planet.

There has to be an easy way for her to do this that is relatively easy to believe.

---
Final point I want to make.

I've always thought the way the film Prometheus started would have made a good start to a TR game. Where the archaeologists spot ancient pictograms on rocks that hint to past interactions with other worlds millions of years ago. Hinting of something important out there beyond the stars waiting to be found.

This would make a good beginning to this type of story for Lara too.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 14-10-21 at 00:05.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-21, 06:12   #4
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Final point I want to make.

I've always thought the way the film Prometheus started would have made a good start to a TR game. Where the archaeologists spot ancient pictograms on rocks that hint to past interactions with other worlds millions of years ago. Hinting of something important out there beyond the stars waiting to be found.

This would make a good beginning to this type of story for Lara too.
Interesting. I think it's the most credible "Tomb Raidery" scenario they could do if they want to get us to a new planet. The lore of Tomb Raider is always in present day so I don't think that humanity to finally find a way to reach new very distant planets will ever be credible for me. A Stargate-like plot with a very ancient hidden technology from a very ancient advanced civilization we never thought about worked better in my eyes. An ancient and incredible machine that can teleport Lara beyond the stars.
Old 14-10-21, 11:34   #5
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Interesting. I think it's the most credible "Tomb Raidery" scenario they could do if they want to get us to a new planet. The lore of Tomb Raider is always in present day so I don't think that humanity to finally find a way to reach new very distant planets will ever be credible for me. A Stargate-like plot with a very ancient hidden technology from a very ancient advanced civilization we never thought about worked better in my eyes. An ancient and incredible machine that can teleport Lara beyond the stars.
I know what you are thinking

To be honest the ancien teleporter was (badly) done in Legend and Underworld and the main plot rely on an ancien advanced civilisation too.

I think it was done to death for the franchise ^^
Old 14-10-21, 13:25   #6
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Yeah, I agree, humanity finding a way to the stars without some stargate like plot, would be extremely difficult to pull off in a TR game.

I definitely don't want Lara piloting space craft. But finding some ancient technology that zaps her to a strange world..... yeah, I'd go with it.

The Prometheus style pictograms could direct her to this necessary ancient technology left behind on Earth.

But also, I wouldn't mind a redo of the Legend story, expanded and more strange than the original. Which could lead to this kind of scenerio easily.

Last edited by Blackmoor; 14-10-21 at 13:28.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-21, 15:26   #7
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

An actual Lara Croft-starring Tomb Raider set in space? Personally I think it would just feel too much like jumping the shark for the franchise, especially since we still have so many real-life myths and cultures to keep Lara grounded on Earth. Tomb Raider is still about uncovering the secrets of our own civilizations, after all.

Now, a Tomb Raider-esque new IP set on alien worlds? That I think can actually work quite well, and be quite interesting. There's this point-and-click game, Heaven's Vault, that is already a space-archeology game that is actually quite interesting. I could see an action-based version of that game also being quite interesting, and at least I could see myself be easily into that.

Or hell, if Nintendo ever wants to make another third person 3D Metroid, making it Tomb Raider inspired could be the way to go.
Old 14-10-21, 15:40   #8
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

A new franchise would be easiest. But say it was a new TR-inspired franchise (as opposed to just an archaeologically themed new franchise set on a different world), how would you see it playing out?

And would you set in the future or today?

Although this isn't my thread, I'm really curious because it's combining two elements that I love - new worlds and tomb raider.
Old 14-10-21, 15:56   #9
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

I personally would set it in the future, but simply because I prefer it that way.
Old 14-10-21, 16:24   #10
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I think Jedi Fallen Order is basically a game about space archeology. I should finish it, so far it was good !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I know what you are thinking

To be honest the ancien teleporter was (badly) done in Legend and Underworld and the main plot rely on an ancien advanced civilisation too.

I think it was done to death for the franchise ^^
The purpose isn't really the same. I don't necessarily want to see the circle thingy machine to come back (they could go with another design) but in Legend and Underworld it didn't teleport you in another world / dimension / planet.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 14-10-21 at 16:27.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote