Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 18-11-19, 22:25   #15221
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I'm assuming they meant 2018.
Yeah, I think so too. I mean Pinky continues to say it was probably to do with TR and her work with Luis Vuiton (which she did a lot of). Peeps need to read the whole post and make connections .
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 22:39   #15222
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Yeah, I think so too. I mean Pinky continues to say it was probably to do with TR and her work with Luis Vuiton (which she did a lot of). Peeps need to read the whole post and make connections .
I didn’t see the TR part, but I also don’t know anything about Alicia at all. For all I know, she could’ve been Luis Vuitton model in 2008.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 21:32   #15223
Tonyrobinson

It seems likely that Tomb Raider will be a greater success now than Charlie's Angels. Elizabeth Bank's has been blaming its underperformance as that fact males arent watching female lead action films but successful film franchise totals like Tomb Raider are proving there's an audience out there so we should be really happy with it being among the top ranks of female lead films like Hunger Games, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. I wouldn't worry at all.

Elizabeth Cantillon isn't going to drag the film down being attatched she's made good and bad films just like Graham King. If anything lets this film down from performing to its greatest potential it will probably be the marketing.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 19-11-19 at 21:37.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 22:03   #15224
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
It seems likely that Tomb Raider will be a greater success now than Charlie's Angels. Elizabeth Bank's has been blaming its underperformance as that fact males arent watching female lead action films but successful film franchise totals like Tomb Raider are proving there's an audience out there so we should be really happy with it being among the top ranks of female lead films like Hunger Games, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel. I wouldn't worry at all.

Elizabeth Cantillon isn't going to drag the film down being attatched she's made good and bad films just like Graham King. If anything lets this film down from performing to its greatest potential it will probably be the marketing.
I feel bad for Bank's but the fact that the movie is underperforming just makes Tomb Raider (2018)'s performance look that much better. The three films you mentioned all did way better but one was based on a massively successful YA series and the other two were comic book movies. All three were pretty much guaranteed hits.

Tomb Raider was definitely more of a risk. Video game movies are typically a hard sell, yet the first movie is one of the better performing female led blockbusters.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-19, 23:01   #15225
Portugalraider

Charlie's Angels also hasn't been relevant since its last movie. A TV reboot was even tried in 2011 and failed after 8 episodes. It is a dead franchise, that could perhaps only make the bucks if they brought the original movie cast as well. But even that is not a guarantee for at least a modest BO: just look at Terminator: Dark Fate (though that one I think mostly comes from franchise fatigue).

The truth is that what sells is what people actually want to see. If people wanted to see Charlie's Angels they would have, like they did for Wonder Woman (and will again next year), Captain Marvel, and what mostly will happen with Black Widow, and perhaps with Birds of Prey (because of Harley Quinn, although I think people would have been more interested in a Gotham City Sirens movie first).

And also let's not forget marketing: if you don't market the movie, how do you expect it to sale? For Charlie's Angel I only remember the first trailer a few months ago and the last few weeks of publicity. And sure, the same thing could be said about Tomb Raider, which can be a proof of Tomb Raider's strength as a franchise: even with poor marketing, it still made almost 3 times its budget.

Because again, Tomb Raider is a weird case: in one end, it is a reboot of a movie franchise that mostly sold because of the character/actress combo at the same time where the videogames were at their most popular. On the other end, the new movie was also based on a really popular game reboot that is still selling quite well (and yes, even SotTR still sold and is selling well, despite on definitely lower numbers than TReboot and perhaps RotTR). And in a completely different end, it is also a franchise that is more popular outside of the US/Canada (where studios get a better slice from each ticket sale) and the numbers show.

At least MGM, Graham King and Elizabeth Cantillon seem to understand that last point and are definitely going for a British/European flavor for this sequel, considering the director/writer pair they hired. And it great to see Alicia speaking like she actually wants to work with Ben and Amy, that Ben understands this is a big action movie, and that we might get the introduction of the reboot game's "grounded supernatural" elements mixed Ben Wheatley's trippy style. Regardless of its final quality (and I am feeling optimistic, at least for now), I do think that we will indeed end up with a movie with a personality of its own, instead of the "well crafted, but generic to a T" movie that the 2018 one was.

(Also, I'm back, bitches! :P)
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 00:18   #15226
GeekOfComedy

Studios get more in the US. Cinemas have more bargaining power in Europe & International...
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 00:32   #15227
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Studios get more in the US. Cinemas have more bargaining power in Europe & International...
Oh I know, reading my post again I think I didn't phrase that part that we'll
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 08:44   #15228
PinkyPromise

I am very happy that they film in the UK. Next year they are going to film in UK Studios (Leavesen or Pinewood): Fantastic Beast, Mission Impossible, Star Wars ... in those studios work very professional and very experienced people. Cape Town I feel that there people are more amateur and less experienced. Also if they film everything in the same studios they can make better use of the budget. Alicia said 4 months of filming ... a scale similar to the previous film then.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 20-11-19 at 10:44.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-19, 21:50   #15229
AimlessThunder

She's so lovely.

Last edited by AimlessThunder; 23-11-19 at 14:03.
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 14:57   #15230
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

It looks like she got botox jaw slimming and fillers in her cheeks and chin. Am I crazy or...? Her face shape looks very different in these interviews than it did before.

She's still lovely, and it's not a bad thing, I just couldn't help but notice.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote