Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-10-18, 22:54   #61
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
The only way that I would be mentally ok with "open world TR" is if there were several relatively smaller open-levels (maybe one for each country Lara visits), which all contain smaller self-contained parts that play more like the classic levels.

I just hate the idea of one massive open world for an entire TR game. I think it would be too far removed and would lack tombs as the focus.

I really hate this dichotomy that seems to have appeared in AAA games, where we either have to have super linear games with no room for exploration at all, or else a massive open world. Can we not have a balance? There can be something in-between the two.
Shadow is a little mini jungle adventure. At least in terms of locations. It's one location with different places in the jungle. It doesn't really get much more boring than that when it's super restricted and linear. The reboot has been awful in terms of locations. An open world would be better compared to that little adventure that is Shadow. I would rather want Tomb Raider be an open world game like Assassins Creed Odyssey (just tailored to fit TR) than what Shadow is. They even got the swan dive right. For the future I would like several smaller open worlds and not one big one, so it would feel more like the classics. I don't see it happening though. They can hardly make more than one location as it is now, how are they ever going to manage several open worlds?

It'll be very interesting to see what happens next.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 02:00   #62
Mutant Messiah

Quote:
The only way that I would be mentally ok with "open world TR" is if there were several relatively smaller open-levels (maybe one for each country Lara visits), which all contain smaller self-contained parts that play more like the classic levels.

I just hate the idea of one massive open world for an entire TR game. I think it would be too far removed and would lack tombs as the focus.

I really hate this dichotomy that seems to have appeared in AAA games, where we either have to have super linear games with no room for exploration at all, or else a massive open world. Can we not have a balance? There can be something in-between the two.
The reboot is basically addressing the issue. It's a midway between them, actually.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 02:25   #63
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Messiah View Post
The reboot is basically addressing the issue. It's a midway between them, actually.

It's really not. It's some huge empty hubs with loads of pointless collectibles, and then anything outside of that is exactly the Uncharted-esque linear railway-track gameplay I was talking about.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 10:31   #64
Avalon SARL

They need to add once again the element of danger and unexpected death in their games and no more empty hubs and useless collectibles and documents that have 50 lines to read.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 11:34   #65
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
They need to add once again the element of danger and unexpected death in their games and no more empty hubs and useless collectibles and documents that have 50 lines to read.
Yep, they're way too easy.

Remember when we used to dodge boulders? that was fun.

Too bad if the reboot ever did it every single one would be that single one in India's first level in TR3, a small hallway where you just run forwards but now with dynamic camera work because thats how games are made nowadays.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 12:09   #66
Avalon SARL

I just remembered one important thing; having such locations is a terrible idea; not because of religious topics or whtsoever.

There is smething much more serious.

THE LAST THING I WANT TO SEE IS LARA CROFT WEARING A BURQA

Trust me, with SE/CD/Eidos's exquisite experience in fashion, they will force us to wear one
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-18, 12:27   #67
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post
I just remembered one important thing; having such locations is a terrible idea; not because of religious topics or whtsoever.

There is smething much more serious.

THE LAST THING I WANT TO SEE IS LARA CROFT WEARING A BURQA

Trust me, with SE/CD/Eidos's exquisite experience in fashion, they will force us to wear one

If they could just be allowed to make video games and not worry about offending everyone and their damn mother, that would be nice.

If Afghanistan was a real location in TR, Laura would surly get 10 unlockable burqa outfits and no regular clothes, lol.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 15:28   #68
JuditePrince12

Quote:

It's really not. It's some huge empty hubs with loads of pointless collectibles, and then anything outside of that is exactly the Uncharted-esque linear railway-track gameplay I was talking about.
This
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-18, 17:49   #69
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
If they could just be allowed to make video games and not worry about offending everyone and their damn mother, that would be nice.

If Afghanistan was a real location in TR, Laura would surly get 10 unlockable burqa outfits and no regular clothes, lol.
It would be like that one Top Cow Comic, the second issue if I remember.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote