Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 21-01-19, 17:38   #941
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I would've assumed the game sold more on digital (PC/Console) than physical. Perhaps that's a bit unreasonable though? I'm really not sure.
the game was on ps store best sellers for more than a month and a half after release and went back to top 5-10 during sales. idk about xbox one.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 19:58   #942
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
the game was on ps store best sellers for more than a month and a half after release and went back to top 5-10 during sales. idk about xbox one.
Exactly. Not knowing the digital sales is not knowing a big margin of the sales. I would say 4-5 million isn't too far fetched.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 20:53   #943
charmedangelin

We can't really use units sold given the fact that is been discounted many times for a long period.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 20:59   #944
johnanonymouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
We can't really use units sold given the fact that is been discounted many times for a long period.
everyone is talking about units sold, thats why i said it!
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 21:19   #945
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
So was ROTTR and TR2013 during their timespan
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 20:31   #946
Chamayoo

About the dropping price controversy, I will just said Resident Evil 2 is already at - 25% on Gamesplanet.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 21:53   #947
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
About the dropping price controversy, I will just said Resident Evil 2 is already at - 25% on Gamesplanet.
Omg, FLOP!
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-19, 22:46   #948
KennyC222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I would've assumed the game sold more on digital (PC/Console) than physical. Perhaps that's a bit unreasonable though? I'm really not sure.
If the sales of PC is counted, the number is even more!
KennyC222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 17:48   #949
Portugalraider

So, let's assume the game has indeed sold 2.5M physical copies. Because of the discounts, and taking in account all available editions, let's assume that the average copie was sold for a price between 50$ and 60$.

Considering publishers usually take 50% of profit from each physical copy, we could say that the game has earned SE something from 62.5M to 75M.

Let's consider now digital sales. Let's be conservative and say that the game has sold 1.5M copies digitally. This includes Steam and the digital stores for PS4 and XBO. Let's assume that all stores give SE 75% of each sale (what Steam usually gives) and because of the discounts, let's assume the average price is again between 50$ and 60$. This could mean an earning between 56.25M and 67.5M from digital earning.

Combining profits from both physical and digital copies, we might be seeing earnings between 118.75M and 142.5M. Let's round the numbers and say it could be between 115M and 145M.

The game has been said to have a 35M marketing cost and a development cost between 75M and 100M. That means that production costs were between 110M and 135M.

All things considered, I'm seeing the game right now being somewhere between breaking even or already making some profit. Considering the game had crappy marketing, no hype, was rushed into market and the release date didn't give it any favours, I think it is actually a good-ish sign.

But here's the thing: this numbers are also not really that good either. The game isn't a flop, but it also isn't a success either. Or at least the success it could have been. Still think the game should have probably been a late March 2019 release. It would have had a few more months in the oven, which needed to make the game has polished as RotTR was (if anything good came from the exclusivity deal, is that CD and Nixxes were able to focus on optimising the game for one/two platforms at a time, instead of five simultaneously), and to make the game sell more during a less competitive time (we only have DMC5 in early March, and MK11 late April).
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 18:26   #950
TrustyBow

^^ You also have to consider that Microsoft subsidized some of the production and/or marketing cost. Not sure how much that would help, but I'm sure with that being a factor, the games already making a profit.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote