Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 20-09-19, 11:41   #21
PinkyPromise

Even Dora, being a children's movie, wears her shorts. I don't think wearing shorts is a bad thing ... they can wear them even if it were in a little moment.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-19, 13:12   #22
Tonyrobinson

In the right environment she could wear them, it is slightly ridiculous looking back at TR 2 we're she's in a bomber jacket and shorts in the snowy weather. I'm not talking Harley Quinn style hot pants but a nice pair of climbing shorts with some utility combat pockets would be cool.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 20-09-19 at 13:13.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 00:10   #23
Jorje Croft

shorts, tanktop, braid, duals
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 07:39   #24
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
In the right environment she could wear them, it is slightly ridiculous looking back at TR 2 we're she's in a bomber jacket and shorts in the snowy weather. I'm not talking Harley Quinn style hot pants but a nice pair of climbing shorts with some utility combat pockets would be cool.
I don't understand why people use TR2 as a bad example. Lara made the impromptu decision on the fly to go to Tibet, she didn't pack ahead of time. She was lucky to have even found the bomber jacket, so it made sense why she still had the shorts on.

Not only that but it's one of the most badass and iconic outfits in TR history. People get too uptight about everything having to be realistic, but Tomb Raider isn't a realistic franchise at all, so why do her outfits all have to be completely realistic?

We don't see these same arguments for characters like Duke Nukem, or even Nathan Drake (rock climbing in blue jeans?!), but since Lara Croft is a female protagonist, for some reason it is imposed on her that she has to be realistic, or I should say modest, because realism wasn't factored in with Lara wearing flip flops in Paititi, but since it's modest attire that somehow makes it ok.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 23:27   #25
Tonyrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I don't understand why people use TR2 as a bad example. Lara made the impromptu decision on the fly to go to Tibet, she didn't pack ahead of time. She was lucky to have even found the bomber jacket, so it made sense why she still had the shorts on.

Not only that but it's one of the most badass and iconic outfits in TR history. People get too uptight about everything having to be realistic, but Tomb Raider isn't a realistic franchise at all, so why do her outfits all have to be completely realistic?

We don't see these same arguments for characters like Duke Nukem, or even Nathan Drake (rock climbing in blue jeans?!), but since Lara Croft is a female protagonist, for some reason it is imposed on her that she has to be realistic, or I should say modest, because realism wasn't factored in with Lara wearing flip flops in Paititi, but since it's modest attire that somehow makes it ok.
I've just always found it ridiculous it's a matter of personal preference I'm not trying to make some sort of political statement and I'm not one for realism suspension of disbelief factors largely into the classics, for me it's not about whether she's female or not, my favourite franchise outfit is the South Pacific one which is probably one of her most revealing but she rocks it.

I am not one for making clothing assumptions on gender especially when it comes to my favourite video game characters like Bloodrayne, Bayonetta and Lara Croft. I just think that outfit was silly when compared to her other winter outfits like Antarctica. I've never been a fan of her wearing pink either.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 23-09-19 at 23:32.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-19, 23:29   #26
GeekOfComedy

^ Even though mossies would bite her I can empathise with that outfit more in the SA. But in a film she'd have to monologue about why she can't feel the cold from her pelvis down if you had her in Siberia with shorts, because you can't distract the audience for 2 hours with gameplay, it's a passive experience.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 21:56   #27
James_Rutland

My idea is that it starts with Lara climbing the avalanche in the storm with Lu Ren. She's following Trinity's tail from the notes she finds in her father's study. An avalanche hits and they are seperated, leading to a series of flashbacks leading up to the opening (a confrontation between Lara and Ana, however Lara doesn't let on she knows, Lara uncovering a clue in a Byzantine catacomb and reporting her findings to Lu-Ren who argues that she is becoming too obsessed and that they don't have the manpower to take on Trinity. He doesn't want to die in the same vein as his father).

Lara awakens in the snow and a The Revenant esque scene follows of her trying to survive in the wilderness. It's atmospheric and Alicia emotes the struggle really well. A bear confrontation happens and this is what a lot of the budget is used for. This sequence / set piece is teased in the trailers too.

Lara discovers an underground cavern which leads to a valley completely disconnected from current civilisation, and the natives ambush Lara. She manages to gain their trust and it is here that she reunites with Lu-Ren. Lara develops a significant amount of respect for the people and bonds with many of them.

Lara and Lu-Ren find a map in the ruins of an old cathedral but upon returning are separated by a rapid forest fire which almost kills them. Lara runs through the forest narrowly escaping the flames to find the village on fire and several natives in a battle against extremely armed Trinity soldiers who have the upper hand. Lara makes her way through (I imagine this scene filmed with one consistent shot following Lara on a wide lens) with the bow trying to help where she can but watching several of the natives get killed. There are explosions and blood is shed. It's heartbreaking.

Ana appears holding Lu-Ren at gunpoint and Lara exchanges the map for his life. She politely asks Lara to turn back or she'll follow the same fate as her father to which she sarcastically refuses. When Trinity leave in a helicopter, Lara and Lu-Ren clash incredibly as she wants to persue them while Lu-Ren is completely shocked at Lara's obsession and her lack of compassion towards the village. Lara goes on while Lu-Ren stays to help.

This is where I hit a brick wall. Where they eliminated any chance of supernatural at the end of the first film, I don't know where they can go unless they retcon it a bit.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 22:03   #28
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
This is where I hit a brick wall. Where they eliminated any chance of supernatural at the end of the first film, I don't know where they can go unless they retcon it a bit.
They can always use a "scientific" explanation about immortality. A new virus with properties that cause eternal life. I personally would prefer something supernatural.

Your story is basically a summary of Rise! Although it would be very funny, the movie would have few surprises for me.
Old 08-11-19, 10:37   #29
ccroft2003

I like the idea of the movie opening in Siberia with Lara and Lu climbing a mountain and being caught in an avalanche. This then followed by a small amount of time showing Lara making her own way through the wilderness to a Russian camp of some sort having escaped a bear attack.

She encounters Ana and the story then leads off to another location, maybe Mexico, where there is some sort of supernatural element introduced that forces Lara to realise she was wrong in the 1st movie and her father was right and not obsessed or crazy following her mother's death. Lara finally beats Trinity with her wit and usual sarcasm, maybe with another twist introducing a final new nemesis character?

Having discovered that supernatural things do indeed exist this encourages Lara to continue to find other artefacts and supernatural items that Trinity had on a "list of interest" she finds. This could lead to a small montage at the end of the movie, showing her Tomb Raiding, dodging traps, climbing cliffs and her finding some other well-known artefacts of tale such as King Arthurs sword and Thor's Hammer? Hell, maybe even the Scion! A mini tease as it were...
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 20:23   #30
PinkyPromise

Very cool I really like Mexico to the sequel

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 08-11-19 at 20:25.