Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 13-06-16, 19:01   #1
Octo

Default TR2 Speedrun

So I've done a speedrun of TR2 recently and wanted to know if it's something others do.

I thought this thread could be a place where you post your times for the entire game or individual levels. Anyway, it's just an idea

(I managed 2 hrs: 31 mins: 38 secs in a glitchless run)
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 19:04   #2
Greenapple968

People used to post speedruns on this site:
http://tombrunner.net/

It was a Forum devoted to TR Speedruns. I don't think it gets used anymore but there are links on there that take you to the new place where TR Speedruns are accepted.

Of course, TR Speedruns are more than welcome here too. Personally, I have absolutely no interest in attempting speedruns myself. Very controversial considering how much I love watching them.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 19:35   #3
laravision

Speedrunning is always evolving to the point where people now attempt single segments of the whole game, (no saving) which take excessive amounts of skill.

Here are some examples...

Glitchless:

Glitched:

laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 19:39   #4
Greenapple968

How on earth do people do the entire game in one go, without saving, in jaw-droppingly fast times while being forced to use all of those monstrously hard Glitches/Shortcuts?

I've seen Single-Segment Speedruns where the people have used many intense Glitches which I can barely even succeed at.

Do they just play the game to death while making 100,000,001 attempts, failing 100,000,000 times and succeeding once?
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 19:56   #5
Octo

I don't understand single segment runs or how people do these ridiculous glitches in them on their first try. It took me multiple different attempts to get through a couple of rooms at a time and the whole run took me a few days to complete. I guess people just have too much time on their hands
Octo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 20:16   #6
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Check speedrun.com search tomb raider and have fun... can u believe apel ? Whole tr3 in 1:13 ... i do it in 9:20 at my fastest lol
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-16, 20:56   #7
peeves

Speedruns are very interesting if you ask me.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-16, 22:39   #8
Hiroyuki

The more ambitious speedruns on tombrunner usually seem to have been done in more than one segment, e.g I've not seen any glitchless runs of Madubu Gorge which didn't do a save just before jumping back up the rapids from the plug room since the first jump is insanely hard (I've never managed it, and I think even the best runners usually need half a dozen attempts at it). It would certainly be possible for people to cheat by editing out the save/restore bits of the videos, though it would be a lame thing to do.

I don't have any times for TR2 as a whole but I've just been looking through what screenshots I have and come up with the following (these are probably not my best ever times, but they will be fairly close). All the times are for glitchless runs.

Great Wall (all secrets) 8:04
The Deck (no secrets) 10:29
Barkhang Monastery (all secrets) 30:52 (a bit lame!)
Nightmare in Vegas (no secrets) 9:35

Assault course (normal) 1:25·3
Assault course (flooded, in speedboat!) 12·4 secs

I'm pretty sure I've done the Deck in about 8 minutes and the assault course in about 11 seconds using the speedboat but I don't seem to have any screenshots showing such times.
Hiroyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-16, 23:15   #9
Zreen001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraiderplay View Post
Check speedrun.com search tomb raider and have fun... can u believe apel ? Whole tr3 in 1:13 ... i do it in 9:20 at my fastest lol
That speedrunner is one I'd like to meet!
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-16, 00:12   #10
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
Speedruns are very interesting if you ask me.
They most certainly are peeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroyuki View Post
The more ambitious speedruns on tombrunner usually seem to have been done in more than one segment, e.g I've not seen any glitchless runs of Madubu Gorge which didn't do a save just before jumping back up the rapids from the plug room since the first jump is insanely hard (I've never managed it, and I think even the best runners usually need half a dozen attempts at it). It would certainly be possible for people to cheat by editing out the save/restore bits of the videos, though it would be a lame thing to do.
The following links are single segment runs of TR3 played live on twitch. While they are glitched attempts, it doesn't demote the runs in terms of skill, if anything, it demands more, as the risks involved performing some glitches are insane, especially in the secrets run. They also include that jump you mentioned across the rapids in Madubu Gorge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hC-9AOEPnk (all secrets ss)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37toX7qtH58 (any% glitched ss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroyuki View Post
Assault course (normal) 1:25·3
I'm sure you can do better than that.

World record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDWPNVzW6t0

Last edited by laravision; 15-02-21 at 13:51. Reason: Updating dead links
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote