www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 25-01-23, 19:42   #111
Pelagius
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
Imagine they finally gave Lara her Dual Pistols back only for them to have unlimited ammo. Totally unrealistic.
I was referring more to a scenario where every gun had unlimited ammunition, though you could constrain the ammo available for her pistols as well and I don't think it would be a worse game for it.

My point is that 'fun' isn't derived from "nothing ever gets in the way of what I want". Fun is, to a large extent, about problem-solving- i.e, working out a way around obstacles in order to achieve a goal. Law-enforcement being an obstacle that Lara has to either avoid or outwit or appease wouldn't be any different from spike pits or alligators in that respect.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 20:00   #112
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

I'm sure if they cared enough they could easily remake TRIII and only have to do some minor adjustments in terms of enemies, but honestly it shouldn't matter. If they went the more stylised, cartoon route they could easily get away with keeping it the same. Don't overthink it.

But whether or not TRIII is remake potential isn't really the topic of this thread, can we just keep it to questions.
Old 25-01-23, 20:04   #113
HarleyCroft
Professor

Question for Dallas: has this thread made you resign yet?
Old 25-01-23, 20:08   #114
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
Are you being obtuse? I've already explained that (A) I don't have a high opinion of GTA, (B) Lara's body count is higher than Niko Belic's, and (C) my primary objection is based on the lack of verisimilitude, not 'Lara is insufficiently heroic'.

I mean, imagine a Tomb Raider game where you just removed the laws of gravity, or gave Lara infinite ammunition, or invulnerability to damage and drowning. Are we "having more fun" now that challenge and immersion has been removed from the experience? Having to work around quasi-realistic constraints on the player-character's agency isn't "anti-fun", it's a normal part of gameplay.
We already had that, it's called cheats and yes cheats are fun. They are hilariously fun.

I think you've completely forgotten the entire point that Video games serve. They serve as a medium of fun. The narrative nonsense your ranting about is stuff that film makers are concerned about, but Video games don't have to be because the entire point of playing the game is to have fun.

At first I was for considering video games as a forum of art, but now I'm against that idea entirely. If video games need to be pushed to serve a narrative or agenda in order for it to be considered a art form than I don't consider video games a forum of art and I don't want video games to be pushed into it.

Video games are all about letting you be who you want and do whatever you want. The laws that govern our reality do not apply in video games.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 25-01-23 at 20:09.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-23, 20:50   #115
Pelagius
Explorer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
We already had that, it's called cheats and yes cheats are fun. They are hilariously fun.
Yeah, but... charmed, you don't sell a game where the cheats are on by default all the time. In fact, one of the most frequent complaints against the Reboot series is that the puzzles were too simplistic and the hint-system felt like hand-holding. Old-school players were complaining that they wanted more of a challenge.

And look, charmed, I don't have to justify my tastes to you. I am telling you why the Classic era of games are extremely unlikely to see 100% faithful remakes happen, because modern AAA developers care at least as much about their activist peers as they do about the customer base and they are not going to restore Sociopath Power Fantasy Lara just to tickle your nostalgia bone.

If you want to see something resembling Classic Lara in operation again, you're going to have meet the devs halfway, and that involves a modicum of awareness that these games had certain imperfections.
Old 25-01-23, 20:53   #116
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I don't have to do anything. Your entitled to your opinion, but you need to remember that your opinion is your own. Stop trying to shove it on everyone else as if it's a fact and everyone has to bow down and acknowledge your greatness.

Video games are meant to be fun and Tomb Raider can 100% be what it was before if they actually committed to it and was passionate about video games.
Old 25-01-23, 22:02   #117
Raxel
Student

What does any of this have to do with questions for Dallas? Could all the people constantly derailing this thread go and find something else to needlessly clutter, please.
You're all being really annoying and pathetic.
Old 25-01-23, 23:29   #118
Pelagius
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I don't have to do anything. Your entitled to your opinion, but you need to remember that your opinion is your own. Stop trying to shove it on everyone else as if it's a fact and everyone has to bow down and acknowledge your greatness.

Video games are meant to be fun and Tomb Raider can 100% be what it was before if they actually committed to it and was passionate about video games.
Look... I'll grant that I can be a little prolix at times and I have some unorthodox political takes, and maybe that comes off as... I dunno, pretentious at times? But I'm honestly struggling to see why 'Lara Croft absitively posolutely has to kill innocent people with total impunity' is the hill that we need to die on.

If a rep from Embracer came to you tomorrow and said "we've greenlit mostly-faithful adaptations of TR1-4, complete with the teal latex top, dual pistols, antinomian origin story and sassy ice queen panache, but the catch is that Lara can't declare a one-woman war on the US government..." ...are you saying you would turn them down? ...Why is that last part so important to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel View Post
What does any of this have to do with questions for Dallas?
I suppose I'm trying to prepare people for disappointment? Lots of old-school fans want to know where the remakes are at, but I don't think they'll get an answer they like.
Old 25-01-23, 23:55   #119
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I suppose I'm trying to prepare people for disappointment?
You don't have to do that, Crystal took care of that years ago.
Old 26-01-23, 00:23   #120
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Look... I'll grant that I can be a little prolix at times and I have some unorthodox political takes, and maybe that comes off as... I dunno, pretentious at times? But I'm honestly struggling to see why 'Lara Croft absitively posolutely has to kill innocent people with total impunity' is the hill that we need to die on.

If a rep from Embracer came to you tomorrow and said "we've greenlit mostly-faithful adaptations of TR1-4, complete with the teal latex top, dual pistols, antinomian origin story and sassy ice queen panache, but the catch is that Lara can't declare a one-woman war on the US government..." ...are you saying you would turn them down? ...Why is that last part so important to you?
If they try to push a moral narrative absolutely I would turn it down because I've grown tired of moralism in general. I don't care what moral values you have just stop shoving them in my face. Nobody knows what's absolutely right or wrong literally nobody.

I'm tired of seeing people trying to act like a bunch of martyrs for a cause because they've watched way too many Hollywood movies and are extremely desperate to be the hero in their own story and their own versions of reality.

To me life is about making decisions you can live with. It's honestly that simple. If you can live with being a wanted fugitive for the chance of becoming filthy rich then by all means, make the choice that you feel is going to be best for your interests. Just know there are consequences for every choice you make.

All this moralism about what is right and wrong and good and bad is quite pointless and imo insulting to the full depth and range of the human experience.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 26-01-23 at 00:30.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote