www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 22-02-21, 17:19   #3771
Chocola teapot
Tomb Raider

I'm not a fan of Tomb Raider 2's Italy or Underwater levels and I'm dreading replaying through them all in a big boring slog of gunmen and rust textures.
Chocola teapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 17:37   #3772
Raider8
Archaeologist

Although i loved Alicia as she was better than reboot game lara personality wise but I'd still take TR 2013 over TR 2018 movie any day. I love a lot of things about that game.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 11:35   #3773
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
My unpopular opinion:

I love reboot Lara's mullet and I want it to stay *just tidy it up a bit*
It's not too late to get help

The original main theme from Tomb raider 1996 is still the most beautiful Tomb Raider theme.
Old 23-02-21, 13:46   #3774
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
The original main theme from Tomb raider 1996 is still the most beautiful Tomb Raider theme.
That's not unpopular It's so ridiculously #iconic it's hard to beat.

TR2, 3 and AoD do come close for me though and Legend's soundtrack as a whole is a masterpiece.

They don't make game soundtracks like that anymore (speaking as a whole across the gaming industry not just TR, Shadow's was pretty good actually). Honestly the only game I can think of from the past decade that had a soundtrack anywhere near on the level of retro games was The Last of Us.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-02-21 at 13:48.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 14:54   #3775
biscuits
Professor

I will always maintain that the best video game soundtracks of all time belong to the Sims franchise.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 18:02   #3776
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

TR2, 3 and AoD do come close for me though and Legend's soundtrack as a whole is a masterpiece.

They don't make game soundtracks like that anymore (speaking as a whole across the gaming industry not just TR, Shadow's was pretty good actually). Honestly the only game I can think of from the past decade that had a soundtrack anywhere near on the level of retro games was The Last of Us.
Depends on where you look. If we're talking big AAA games, Nintendo games still deliver in the "great tracks with really memorable melodies" department (they're only game that might escape this is Zelda BotW, but even that game still haves a lot of memorable melodies, it's just the bigger focus in in either environmental sounds, or just the tiny hint of music). Same thing with Square Enix RPGs, big or small. And if you go for the indie department, you still have some great games with excelent music.
Old 24-02-21, 00:40   #3777
PallasAthene
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

I guess I always got the impression a lot of people preferred the music from the newer games because they’re more like traditional film scores. I do love the work of Peter Connelley, and I love Troels Folmann’s work on Legend and Anniversary, but there’s something about Nathan McCree’s themes, especially the very first one, that are so magical and dreamy. I don’t think any composer has ever captured the feel of Tomb Raider in quite the same way.

I thought Bobby Tahouri’s theme for Rise of the Tomb Raider was beautiful, and the only one that stood out to me from the reboot games. I found Underworld’s music kind of blah, although I know quite a few people liked it.
Old 25-02-21, 14:28   #3778
Amlux
Hobbyist

I prefer the general appearance and movement of Legend Lara's ponytail over Reboot Lara's TressFX / PureHair.

In Legend her hair seemed all glued together in a bunch but to me it looked neat, while for Reboot it is all over the place and I find it annoying.
I can't stand having locks of hair touching my face, it has to be out of the way, so seeing Lara's layers itches me.
Old 25-02-21, 15:21   #3779
biscuits
Professor

Lara looks better in pants.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 15:36   #3780
Los Angeles
Relic Hunter

Urban levels are more fun than tombs.